SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most useful Loco
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
. . .designed to run in either direction without wearing out the trailing coupled wheels excessively.
That tends to exclude every tender engine. Or at least those with poor rearward visibility. Unlike 46443 which has proved its worth many times over for footplate experience courses.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, the topic was "most" suitable loco, so that does not exclude any others from being "suitable", which appears to include the various medium-sized tender engines.
It is however a matter of opinion, and as others have implied by their choice, pushing a tender up or down the Valley is not considered to be a disadvantage.

The main thing after all is that we have plenty of them, and mainly in-ticket !
Rob
mrmover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82046 should be useful, as the teething troubles noted on 82045 will have been ironed out.
mrmover

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82046 should be useful, as the teething troubles noted on 82045 will have been ironed out.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Brian, the topic was "most" suitable loco, . . . .
Surprised The word suitable was mentioned neither by myself nor in the original thread title. Only later did Plato muddy the water with that word. The original word used was useful; a subtle, but importance, difference. Perhaps Plato has caused two debates to run concurrently.

The class 20 has proved itself to be useful frequently yet it wouldn't be suitable to haul our passenger trains frequently.

Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, Plato did indeed redefine his question to "most suitable" from "useful", but that said, the words have similar meaning. The word that stands out in the definition of "suitable" is "convenient", and I suppose a "thunderbird" loco that can be activated at short notice for instance to rescue another locomotive and its train in difficulty has to be of value.
I agree though, you could never say that a Class 20 was suitable for regular use, our customers in the main dont come to the SVR for Class 20 haulage. And it is a quite smelly thing anyway!! Wink
Joe2027

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
<snip>

I agree though, you could never say that a Class 20 was suitable for regular use, our customers in the main dont come to the SVR for Class 20 haulage. And it is a quite smelly thing anyway!! Wink

They do if there's a diesel gala. This leads me on, to say that I see, that Western Courier, and some other SVR diesels are going to the ELR this weekend for their diesel gala. I'll be following on Saturday. I cannot take any more 1940's music or German guards! Wink I feel like I living in a tyrannical state with Brown in charge.
Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, it is our everyday passengers who require steam haulage, the SVR cannot survive on diesel gala patronage!...but you knew that anyway Wink
Regards
boldford

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
. . . .And it is a quite smelly thing anyway!! Wink
Aren't they all?

Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, its the "wrong kind of smell"...

T'was a Gala day last year, and the 20 was sat on tickover (or is it "idle"?) at the Kidderminster bufferstops for quite a while, and the wind was blowing from the yard to the station, ie into the concourse....need I say any more.... Crying or Very sad

Everything has its use, but we are mostly a steam railway, said he, stating the obvious.

Right away...
Joe2027

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Joe, it is our everyday passengers who require steam haulage, the SVR cannot survive on diesel gala patronage!...but you knew that anyway Wink
Regards

I love steam, though I do like to be taken back to the 1970's my trainspotting days now and then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: