SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LNER A1 4-6-2 60163 Tornado
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buffer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Tornado Reply with quote

hassell_a wrote:

Regardless of the above, I think that you are not paying enough account of its long fixed wheelbase versus the the SVR's sharp curves. I'll let you know how much it squeals up the Valley after I've driven it in a few day's time, but I won't expect it to squeal any less than the (very nice) 60007 that I had a go on earlier in the year.

Did Tornado squeal its way up and down the valley or was everyone so bowled over by the sight of the beast that no one noticed the hammering it was giving the track?
hassell_a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tornado Reply with quote

Buffer wrote:
hassell_a wrote:

Regardless of the above, I think that you are not paying enough account of its long fixed wheelbase versus the the SVR's sharp curves. I'll let you know how much it squeals up the Valley after I've driven it in a few day's time, but I won't expect it to squeal any less than the (very nice) 60007 that I had a go on earlier in the year.

Did Tornado squeal its way up and down the valley or was everyone so bowled over by the sight of the beast that no one noticed the hammering it was giving the track?

Interestingly, I didn't notice any squealing on the way to Bridgnorth chimney first, but on the return trip tender first there were noticable, prolonged bouts of it. For example, it started squealing as it entered the reverse curves in Alveley Woods and didn't stop until it came into Highley station.

http://www.4930hagleyhall.org.uk

All Comments and Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of SVR (Holdings) PLC, SVR Company Limited, or SVR Charitable Trust.
Buffer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tornado Reply with quote

hassell_a wrote:
Buffer wrote:
hassell_a wrote:

Interestingly, I didn't notice any squealing on the way to Bridgnorth chimney first, but on the return trip tender first there were noticable, prolonged bouts of it. For example, it started squealing as it entered the reverse curves in Alveley Woods and didn't stop until it came into Highley station.

Many thanks for your comments. Perhaps the better guidance provided by the bogie, as compared with the trailing truck, prevented squealing when running chimney first.
hassell_a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tornado Reply with quote

Buffer wrote:
hassell_a wrote:
Buffer wrote:
hassell_a wrote:

Many thanks for your comments. Perhaps the better guidance provided by the bogie, as compared with the trailing truck, prevented squealing when running chimney first.

I would have thought so - we'll see what the armchair boffins come up with!

http://www.4930hagleyhall.org.uk

All Comments and Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of SVR (Holdings) PLC, SVR Company Limited, or SVR Charitable Trust.
Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the week-long "Gala" attendances, it must have been a worthwhile visit revenue wise, even allowing for track wear.

Out of interest, does the combination of a long fixed wheelbase and track curvature cause more wear to the loco's tyres/flanges, or the rail surface, or is it a bit of both?

I was thinking about the engines used on the "Jacobite" that need fairly frequent tyre turning, and even retyring. (62005 this winter)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: