SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Autumn Gala 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Ponsford

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and the Bewdley Breakfast.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Gala crowding and breakdowns Reply with quote

I was on a sales stand on Bewdley platform on Saturday.
1501 failed on arrival at Bewdley with the freight mid-morning, but I undestood 5164 took over in the evening. I have been told that SKP failed on Sunday as well.
Certainly the trains were well crowded, some more than others (Gresley teaks behind SKP ! ), but previous entries have said that a gala is all about attracting crowds and providing a spectacle for them - but we can't magic extra coaches out of the air, besides which certain stations limit the train lengths anyway.
Clarke_T

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The length of the sets of coaches were somewhat short this year and could've been strengthened, for example our Teak and LMS set could've been made into 8 coach rakes with the addition of either 3083 or 3103, thus leaving the GW set to be rostered with the Obbo all weekend with home based engines. Understood that to eliminate shunting set M was restricted to 6 coaches to make it an 8 when the Venturers were shunted upon it each morning, but was it a good idea to put that set behind visiting locos? The back road at Arley does limit the length of trains thus a 3 coach train had to be used.
J-Green

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Ponsford wrote:
There was another failure - the steam heat on set L2 on the overnighters on Friday

That reminds me - a steam heat pipe went on one of the sets Friday night directly opposite Hampton Loade 'Box where I was ensconced...

BANG!!!

Steam everywhere, practically jumped out of my skin! They seemed to get it fixed quickly enough though.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
michaelh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="LMS2968"]
michaelh wrote:
Autumn Steam Gala”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 22 September 2012 NEW

May I say when I lived in Worcester I visited often and really enjoyed my time with you. I have since moved to Ollerton in Nottinghamshire, so as you were holding your Autumn Steam Gala so I looked forward to visiting today 22/09/2012. May I say that I disappointed by this experience. Leaving my home at 7am arriving with you at 9.30am staying till 7pm. You clearly didn't expect such a number of visitors.Ever train and I rode 4 were overloaded, I couldn't get seated and I am 65 with health conditions. Where were the frieght train advrtised, yes I witnessesed 4 breakdowns, with 1501,34053,42968 and a pannier tank. But I don,t feel that was the reason for a very poor show, I will expect much better at the Great Central next week. to me it was £50 wasted. May I add that the toilets were horrible and the food poor. Yours John Miles

Michaelh did not write this - I merely quoted it from TRipadvisor - which my post stated
michaelh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Green wrote:
Andrew Ponsford wrote:
There was another failure - the steam heat on set L2 on the overnighters on Friday

That reminds me - a steam heat pipe went on one of the sets Friday night directly opposite Hampton Loade 'Box where I was ensconced...

BANG!!!

Steam everywhere, practically jumped out of my skin! They seemed to get it fixed quickly enough though.

I travelled on the local - 3 carmine and cream behind 3650 on Sunday afternoon from Arley to Kiddy and there was no heat on that - it was raining heavily and distinctly chilly! - all the other trains I travelled on were well heated.
LMS2968

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
Michaelh did not write this - I merely quoted it from TRipadvisor - which my post stated

Yes, I thought it was out of character! As the saying goes, "You can't please all of the people all of the time," but I still maintain that someone who attends a gala and doesn't expect crowds isn't living in the real world, whoever wrote it.

Unfortunately, it is far too easy for people to take a highly subjective viewpoint and make it available to a wide public, which will always accept the negative opinions above the positives.
RickE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos from the Gala!

Fridays night shots at Bewdley
http://rickeborall.zenfolio.com/p579739998

Saturdays selection..........
http://rickeborall.zenfolio.com/p197167756

Thanks to all concerned for another great gala!

Regards to all...............Rick
Old Bean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of heating, is the fire ever lit in the waiting room at Bewdley?
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bean wrote:

Yes, I've warmed myself many times during the winter in front of that fire.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Lin_SVR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Old Bean wrote:

Yes, I've warmed myself many times during the winter in front of that fire.

Same here.

Fire was lit at Arley waiting room on Friday. Very nice.
chris thomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Waiting room fires Reply with quote

Why not try platform 2 at Bridgnorth; while you are there take the opportunity to see our 150th anniversary historical display - there's some quite amazing stuff there. The comments about the GWR bus service to Wolverhampton are worth it by themselves!
bradleyman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Green wrote:
I would never wish to dismiss out of hand a visitor's criticisms especially if they have had a bad experience, but I think John is a little unfair in saying that the SVR did not expect the number of visitors it had. Thousands are fully expected at Galas and other events, and yes, that does mean that trains and stations can become exceedingly crowded.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about it beyond a few 'damage limitation' efforts, such as Bewdley Station Staff keeping people moving on the footbridge. All the carriages are in use, we cannot enlarge the stations, we cannot improve the timetable.

Not sure about the failures that he mentions but these are a risk you take when you visit. Preventative maintenance only goes so far - some things happen without warning. Again, not sure about him not seeing the Goods - to my knowledge it operated as timetabled on Saturday?

It is a shame that John did not mention where he used the toilets and where he bought his food. Some of the toilets are a bit 'iffier' than others and with the numbers involved it doesn't take long for them to deteriorate. Station Staff can only check them and rectify any issues in amongst their other vital duties such as seeing trains away on time and dealing with visitor queries.

Whilst some of the critisism is a little OTT the overcrowding comments are valid. It has been previously suggested a number of times that the Gala should held be over a longer period as achieved by a number of other railways. Even 4 days rather than 3 might help.
Alternatively if the visiting locos were used on normal SVR TT services during the week before or after a gala & this fact was sufficiently advertised those seeking to avoid the most crowded days could be catered for.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
Whilst some of the critisism is a little OTT the overcrowding comments are valid. It has been previously suggested a number of times that the Gala should held be over a longer period as achieved by a number of other railways. Even 4 days rather than 3 might help.
Alternatively if the visiting locos were used on normal SVR TT services during the week before or after a gala & this fact was sufficiently advertised those seeking to avoid the most crowded days could be catered for.

Perhaps upgrade the Thursday to a B or even a C? Certainly, this year's gala eve appeared busy at kiddy by the look of the passing visit that I made.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
KJEvans

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:

Perhaps upgrade the Thursday to a B or even a C? Certainly, this year's gala eve appeared busy at kiddy by the look of passing visit that I made.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: