SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridgnorth Station redevelopment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigger: Will the plans still be available to view in BH plat 2 waiting room this saturday? Hoping to make the trip on saturday morning, looks like the foggy conditions will have been replaced by winter sunshine!
chris thomas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer some of the points raised so far:
Rear Car Park - we don't own this and it is not for sale. We are trying to gain a longer lease so that we can spend money on it with an element of confidence. The new footbridge will provide better access from the back car park and avoid the black mud on the present pedestrian access route.
Platform 2 - this is not in the architects brief, which is why extension is not on the plans. However this, and the re-alignment of the yard throat to remove the present tight reverse curves, is still on the agenda.
"Front Yard" - yes, this may still be connected at the north end of the station - NOT as a routine run-round, but as a "get out of jail" card should anything go wrong at the south end. However, space between the loco shed and the running line in platform 2 is limited, and we need to get in a siding, the lift shaft and a minimum of two metres platform width.
Footbridge - ideas for a roof sound good, but would add to both the weight and the cost. Detailing around the front of the loco shed might also be very difficult. I agree that it would also reduce the impact of the lift shafts. Not sure it's essential as the present route is "open air" and the new bridge reduces substantially the length of walk from the back car park, but it's an interesting idea. Anyone like to pay for it?
Signal Box - the proposed footbridge is above the height of the box windows, so the view north is not impeded. The "balcony" noted in an earlier post is in fact one of the landings on the footbridge stair and does sit back a little. You may find it re-assuring that the need to retain visibility from the signal box was picked up by the architect at a very early stage.
Published plans - the plans circulated are the plans that were on display at the "M&S weekend" - they are also available to view in platform 2 waiting room. All comments received will be considered, furthermore a meeting is to be held with the conservation officer, a planner from SC and English Heritage. Once all this has been done and some further decisions made, the plans will be revised. I'm sure no-one would want us to spend money on more frequent revisions than we actually need.

All this will take some time - so please be patient! We need to get this right, as we are only going to build it once.
pbinnersley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've refrained from commenting so far as I hadn't seen the plans. Having looked at the plans on SVR Live I think that Howls and the Bridgnorth team have made a very good start given the limitations of the site and focused peoples minds on how we think Bridgnorth should look in the future.

My main concern is that we risk loosing the 1950's atmosphere of Bridgnorth station. Railways have a "hut" mentality and I think we should celebrate that.

Going from north to south:

The comment about the accomodation block looking like nissan huts struck a cord with me. As Asbestos is out, would is be possible to clad these in black corrugated iron onto the building skin. This would give them a railway feel and a spash of paint every few years shouldn't be too onerous, faded black paint is very authentic.

The new Steam Works station gateway looks too large I think a brick flat roofed structure akin to the Shunters block in Kidderrminster year would look more in keeping and not distract from the signal box/station building.

The footbridge is needed, but the "spiral" around the tower is very un railway like. Could the bridge be extended and have a single straight flight of steps running down behind the signal box.

The lift shafts are intrusive. An ideal would be a "panoramic" type lift that doesn't require a tower and the lift "cage" is supported from one side only. Open topped wheel chair lifts are available, but may not be suited to our application.

I accecpt that the Railwaymens arms extension has to be different to the original station building, but what would it have looked like if it had been built in the 1930's?

The Visitor centre is much needed. The view from the platforms looks good, but the view of the south end from an appoaching train looks stark. We need to invent a "history" for this building. Is it and old good shed? and if so give it a blocked up rail entrance. I think a few large vents would look more authentic than a clerestory roof unless we are saying that it used to be an engine shed.

Maintain the illusion.

Peter.
J-Green

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris thomas wrote:

Signal Box - the proposed footbridge is above the height of the box windows, so the view north is not impeded. The "balcony" noted in an earlier post is in fact one of the landings on the footbridge stair and does sit back a little. You may find it re-assuring that the need to retain visibility from the signal box was picked up by the architect at a very early stage.

I noted that a need for visibility was noted, but I do remained a touch concerned as to visibility specifically when there are people on that landing - and there will be (especially at galas and suchlike), as a signal box is not something you often get to look into.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
tigger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Share Offer update
Enquiries 1,625
Ł606,018
tigger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have discovered another two comments from the Members' & Shareholders' Weekend display that I had misplaced.

'We came in today with the intention of buying into the share issue. Having seen your plans we have changed our minds. To claim that buildings in the proximity of listed, old and treasured buildings should be as different as possible as a counterpoint is sheer stupidity and smacks of a decision already made and an excuse manufactured to justify it.
You may as well electrify the line as a contrast to the steam trains.
There is plenty of land around the station where you can build your blot without having any of it visible from the charming and original station area.
To impose the new building into the historic area will create an effect reminiscent of an American style theme park, purely for profit and totally dumbed down.'

'The presentation made is completely out of character for a 'heritage' site. I cannot express my dislike severely enough. Must try harder.'
StuFew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had the chance to look at the plans more closely, (thanks tigger), I have kind of mellowed to some of the proposals. Up until this the only pictures I had seen of the Steamworks building was the one with the huge windows, which made my eyes hurt to be honest. However, the version with more traditional windows on the "top" image in the Elevation Studies I don't think looks too bad. As long as it doesn't overshadow the main station building too much.
The proposed accommodation building I don't think looks that bad. Certainly no worse than what is already on that sight. The glass footbridge towers seem very out of place, though. I think something along the lines of what Network Rail have done at Kidderminster would probably be more suitable.

That's my rambling thoughts, for what they're worth.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture of Kidderminster goods shed suggests we already have suitable prototypes for respectively the accomodation building (if extended), the visitor centre and the two story building.

However is the problem to attract other funding sources, the railway needs a project with wow factor?

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1916016[/url]
tigger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The six A1 display boards are pinned up in platform 2 waiting room, and will stay there until there until after a meeting on Monday 12 November of the project core group with the Conservation Area and English Heritage planning officers.

Constructive comment continues to be welcomed.
The pdf files of the display boards are downloadable from svrlive
http://www.svrlive.com/Pages/BH150.aspx
Derby4

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigger: Thanks for the info re the display boards. I "could" drive up to Bridgnorth on Saturday, but a much better plan is to go to Bewdley, check out the EMF bookshop, ride behind 2857 northbound, check out the posters, quick trip up the hill to the street market, and then 34053 southbound....

Any excuse...!
tigger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
tigger: Thanks for the info re the display boards. I "could" drive up to Bridgnorth on Saturday, but a much better plan is to go to Bewdley, check out the EMF bookshop, ride behind 2857 northbound, check out the posters, quick trip up the hill to the street market, and then 34053 southbound....

Any excuse...!

Sounds like a good way to spend the day! Very Happy
tigger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A comment posted on our facebook page:

I was at the members and shareholders weekend and visited the shareholders tent to see the drawings of the new station. Very impressive.
I liked all of the potential frontages to the station extension but don't envy your position in that you will not be able to please all of the people all of the time - there were some very strong opinions on show...
Not sure how the decision will be taken on the
final design but I was wondering whether a vote might be a practical solution with votes weighted so that the opinions of volunteers, members and shareholders would carry more weight than someone who doesn't contribute to the SVR.
I don't volunteer on the line but use it regularly and I feel that those who *do* put their spare time into working on the line should have much more input into the future of the station than me.
Similarly, as a member I should have a bit more of a shout than someone who pitches up at a gala and doesn't buy a ticket or photo pass but then takes a load of pictures without contributing.
I hope this makes sense? Anyway, good luck with the works - I look forward to seeing it all coming to completion.
tigger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteamWorks Update - 01/11/12 - from SVRLive http://www.svrlive.com/Pages/News.aspx

October was an extremely eventful month with the successful launch of the 2012 Share Offer which at the time of writing has topped the 700,000 shares sold mark. This bodes well for the future, and for bringing forward the range of schemes encompassed by the ‘SteamWorks’ concept.

Key presentations associated with the Share Offer were made at the Boiler Shop in Bridgnorth, at Highley Engine House and at the exhibition staged at Bridgnorth over the Shareholders weekend. These were well attended by working volunteers, staff, SVR members and visitors interested in the future of the SVR and the current share issue.

We have also presented the proposals to a range of potentially significant public bodies (European Regional Development Fund, Heritage Lottery Fund and DEFRA) and private agencies whose support will be essential to achieving the projects set out in the Share Issue document.

Whilst a great deal of work is required to secure this additional funding in an extremely competitive environment, the feedback from meetings has been extremely positive, with a strong recognition of the strategic objectives set, and the approach being followed by the SVR.

The consultation with members has been lively, with a wide range of (often impassioned!) views expressed.

Overall, the feedback has been very positive with over 70% of people attending the exhibition being supportive, albeit with comments both practical and aesthetic as to how the proposals could be improved.

The Working Group and our architects are analysing the points submitted and considering what revisions need to be made.

We are also taking into account the requirements of key funders and the advice of Planning and Conservation staff at Shropshire Council and English Heritage.

Bridgnorth is an area of special design consideration since the station is Grade II listed, lies within the Bridgnorth Conservation Area and is immediately adjacent to the Scheduled ancient monument of Panpudding Hill – this sensitive location will demand an approach which is in line with best conservation practice.

Another key milestone in the month was the securing of planning permission for the new Store and Mess facility in the works area. Ongoing work on this project will involve the pursuit of Building Regulations approval and consideration of access and other associated infrastructure works.

The overall development of a programme of implementation will be dependent on the success of the Share Issue and the prospect of securing funds from the additional sources mentioned above.

In support of these fund raising initiatives, the Working Group is focused on pulling together a range of information that will be required to support funding submissions for the project, including revised plans, an Interpretation Strategy, Business Plan and Training Programme for our future apprenticeship schemes.

Nick Ralls (General Manager)
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The overall comments from the MD are all very good.

I find the comment that 70% of visitor comments from the exhibition at Bridgnorth were generally 'in support of the current proposals, with minor changes', both unsurprising and not to be too hard, rather unscientific.

My own, agreed equally unscientific impression from discussions with volunteers and members, is that I have yet to speak to anyone who supports the design proposals as they stand. Does that mean there is 100% opposition !

Posters on here and NP, as well as the Bridgnorth members/volunteer meeting have also raised some concerns together with some excellent suggestions.

Whilst agreeing that something has to be done about the general condition and facilities to be found at the Bridgnorth estate, I still feel that something more in keeping with the heritage nature of the railway is required.

We need open discussion about these proposals, and whilst getting complete agreement is of course impossible. The present situation, where we are landed with facility designs whilst at the same time the share offer is underway, is in my view rather unhelpful
tigger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridgnorth Station extension - design statement
A paper written by Kevin Simpson BA MA(Cons) affiliate IHBC on 11 January 2002

Bridgnorth railway station was built by the Severn Valley Railway Company in 1861, almost certainly to the design of Joseph Fogerty, assistant engineer to Sir John Fowler. The line was absorbed by the Great Western Railway (GWR) in 1872 and remained in that company's ownership until nationalisation in 1948.

The GWR evolved its own standard style of station architecture during the period 1890-1914; years in which it was rapidly expanding and improving, during what has been referred to as its 'Great Awakening'. The designs were different to the architecture of the companies it had inherited, like the SVR, being essentially functional rather than based on historic styles. The standard style is not commonly used on branch lines, as they did not undergo major infrastructure improvements in this expansion period. Extensions and alterations of a minor nature were carried out, but evidence provided by former GWR branchline stations in Shropshire and Worcestershire indicates that, prior to the Great War, when branchline railway travel was reaching its peak, station buildings were always extended to exactly match the original design. [K Simpson MA (Cons) dissertation 1999]. Now that this approach is considered undesirable for the listed Bridgnorth station, an alternative style must be found, which the GWR could have conceivably used. Assuming that branchline travel (and therefore the demand on passenger facilities) reached their peak in the Edwardian era, a design from the early 20th century seems most appropriate for Bridgnorth station extension. If ever an improvement to the facilities were proposed by the GWR, along the lines considered today, it would have been then.

The details of the standard style do vary slightly from place to place and throughout the period in use, but some essential characteristics were consistent. Brick was always used for the walls, with welsh slate roofs. Stone was employed for cills and usually for lintels (sometimes rubbed brick arches). Rainwater downpipes were square section cast iron with ogee gutters. In the Edwardian era, window designs were typical of domestic architecture of the period, featuring a multiple paned upper portion and a bottom portion uninterrupted by glazing bars. Examples of this style were used in the Birmingham northern suburbs, such as Solihull, Acocks Green and Tyseley. A rather more grandiose version was built at Newbury, Berkshire, featuring ornamental gables as proposed for this design. The use of a gable is not common at all, hips being more usual, but a gable allows extra light to be admitted to the refreshment room and will create a more spacious feeling internally.

The colour of the brickwork used was almost always red often with blue brick for plinths, quoins and dressings around openings. This stype was used for the base of the new signal box built at Bridgnorth in 1923. It survives today under a layer of paint. Obviously the GWR was not that bothered about the contrast between red brick and the stone of the station. Some today may feel that an extension in red brick would be too much of a contrast and there is an historical precedent to overcome this problem. Certain stations in the midlands were built in a more mellow buff brick, with red brick dressings, the up side buildings at Kidderminster being the closest example to Bridgnorth. Such a colour scheme is all the more suitable for this extension, because most of the stations on the Severn Valley line were built in buff brick.

This proposed extension [as at 2002], based on a GWR Edwardian style, will not affect the architectural character of the listed building as it is clearly distinguishable in style from the neo Jacobean of the original SVR building. The symmetrical completeness of the original composition will remain dominant, not only because of the contrast in style, but also because the new buildings will be lower. The historical precedents of the use and detailed appearance of this style in the Midlands, suggest that it is a plausible evolution for Bridgnorth station, so its historic character will remain uncompromised.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 19 of 60

Jump to: