SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carriages Stored at Kidderminster
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lench_S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Carriages Stored at Kidderminster Reply with quote

Does anyone know the identities of the four carriages currently sheeted at the end of CS1 please? I've an idea one of them is 26921 as one has PE 9-13 on the solebar and I know this coach is due for transfer to Bridgnorth soon...
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
sigman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 4 coaches are 26921 LMS brake third, 2119 GWR Hawksworth corridor third, 4873? unrestored GWR Collet corridor third? and 9615 GWR kitchen car. But I could be wrong!!!!
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigman wrote:
I think the 4 coaches are 26921 LMS brake third, 2119 GWR Hawksworth corridor third, 4873? unrestored GWR Collet corridor third? and 9615 GWR kitchen car. But I could be wrong!!!!

Thanks very much, sounds as though the question mark could be 4786 which was the sleeper at Kidderminster Town before replacement by 9084. Presumably then 1087 and 9654 are tucked up in the carriage shed? Thanks again for you help.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
P Thornhill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLoader wrote:
sigman wrote:

Thanks very much, sounds as though the question mark could be 4786 which was the sleeper at Kidderminster Town before replacement by 9084. Presumably then 1087 and 9654 are tucked up in the carriage shed? Thanks again for you help.

Wonder why they bothered to cover it over when they were going to scrap 4786? Have I missed something and the railway planning on keeping it now?
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLoader wrote:
sigman wrote:

Vintage carriage trust website has 1087 as in the carriage shed. I'm sure I've seen 9654 at Bewdley in the Yard.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
sigman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me right 4873? ( if that is the correct number for it)and 4786 arrived at the same time, 4786 was used in the dock at Kidderminster and the other one was put in store. I think it was purchased by Paddy Goss / 813 fund and some cosmetic restoration was undertaken on the interior by Paul Johnson. This all happened years ago so some of the details my be wrong. Could someone please confirm the above.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigman wrote:
If my memory serves me right 4873? ( if that is the correct number for it)and 4786 arrived at the same time, 4786 was used in the dock at Kidderminster and the other one was put in store. I think it was purchased by Paddy Goss / 813 fund and some cosmetic restoration was undertaken on the interior by Paul Johnson. This all happened years ago so some of the details my be wrong. Could someone please confirm the above.

4872 owned by the 813 Fund left for the South Devon Railway back in around 2010/11 I think.
sigman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware of that move to the South Devon. It would be a shame to see 4786 scrapped as it would make a good addition to the GWR fleet as it would add a bit of variety being an early Collet.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigman wrote:
I wasn't aware of that move to the South Devon. It would be a shame to see 4786 scrapped as it would make a good addition to the GWR fleet as it would add a bit of variety being an early Collet.

Tell that to SVR (Holdings) PLC who own it!
Peter Share

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: GW Coaching stock Reply with quote

There were 4 identical coaches on the SVR. 4546, 4786, 4872 and 5043.

I think 4546 has been scrapped It was owned by GW (SVR)A, having arrived in 1982.
4786 was Kidder sleeping coach and arrived in 1986
4872 arrived with 4786 in 1986, being owned by the 813 fund. It was transferred to the South Devon Railway in 2008 (per 813 website)
5043 is owned by the 2857 Society, having arrived in 1981 and acts as their mess coach.

Peter
Peter Share

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: 4786 Reply with quote

Further to my comments above, I have been advised by one of my Bewdley based colleagues that at one stage the SVR were considering scrapping the coach. A number of "south" based volunteers complained vociferously and the decision was then reversed. Those same volunteers are the ones who have sheeted over the coach to protect it until it's future can be evaluated, remembering that it is the only possible working example that will be on the SVR of a type of coach which was familiar on the GWR for many years.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 4786 Reply with quote

Peter Share wrote:
Further to my comments above, I have been advised by one of my Bewdley based colleagues that at one stage the SVR were considering scrapping the coach. A number of "south" based volunteers complained vociferously and the decision was then reversed. Those same volunteers are the ones who have sheeted over the coach to protect it until it's future can be evaluated, remembering that it is the only possible working example that will be on the SVR of a type of coach which was familiar on the GWR for many years.
May I add that there was also a fair degree of grumblings from the north too.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
haynes_m

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: 4786 etc Reply with quote

Just to tell you that at the GW(SVR)A agm in October there was strong support to keep 4786 and restore it. As you say we do not have a bow-ended full third and there is no running one anywhere. We will be appealing for funds for 6045 next year and will be making a start on its restoration
bradleyman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 4786 etc Reply with quote

haynes_m wrote:
Just to tell you that at the GW(SVR)A agm in October there was strong support to keep 4786 and restore it. As you say we do not have a bow-ended full third and there is no running one anywhere. We will be appealing for funds for 6045 next year and will be making a start on its restoration

That is a very welcome bit of good news!
Robin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeking an update for the Wiki site. There are still 4 coaches under tarps outside the Carriage Shed. LMS 26921 is now at Bridgnorth. I assume the coach nearest Kidderminster is LMS 45048 Inspection Saloon. Can anyone positively ID the other 3?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: