SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information sought on Ruston DS 165 engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Information sought on Ruston DS 165 engine. Reply with quote

I've got involved in the restoration and maintenance of the Ruston & Hornsby shunter at Bewdley.
One project is the replacement of the non-working dynamo system with a modern 12v alternator.
From what I have found so far, the maximum speed of the engine is 1250rpm and the minimum charge speed of an alternator is around 1000 to 1500 rpm.
The crank pulley is 8.5" diameter and an alternator pulley is about 2.5" diameter.
I suspect the engine will spend far longer at idle than at maximum rpm, so I could do with finding out what the idle speed is.
Does anyone have this information?
It's probably going to need an idler shaft with two pulleys to create a double step up gear to get the alternator spinning fast enough. If I knew the idle speed I could work out the size of pulleys needed.

Also, the dynamo is mounted in front of the engine facing backwards, so it spins the opposite way to the engine.
Does anyone know of any commonly available 12v alternator that will work anti-clockwise?
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham - have you talked to the wednesday gang at Kidder diesel depot. They have Ruston experts. Failing that you could go and measure one of the two running examples. There is the mechanical Silver Spoon at Kidder C&W and the electric drive at Bridgnorth

Dave Scott
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Wednesday gang there all day?
I'm on a shift rota, so I can't always get there in the daytime or evening.
When's it best to catch them?
Inspector Biffo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, you have a PM
Graham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff, I'll call in and speak to them when I get a chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: