SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Class 08 Shunters
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Athenians

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brasso1 wrote:
If it aint Black, Its not right!
Obviously influenced excessively by Mr Riley.
heap_r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
Slight divergence to the Class 11, but it seems to have been under restoration for years, and there was a recent reference somewhere to now waiting on an operating agreement.

So is it in service and is it in black?

She was booked service loco for the 1960s Transport Day and she performed well. It's in service all this week, and then into the rotation between "service", "standby" and "maintenance".
hunter_i

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago in a Galaxy far far away......

cherry_p

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHARDS wrote:
I mentioned it as I have heard or seen (i think) 08s doing thunderbird duites on the valley but cant recall ever having seen a timetabled 08 turn.

I remember one occasion some years ago I had to use Bridgnorth's 08 to rescue Taw Valley and its train from just short of Eardington summit after it had failed with a hopelessly clinkered fire -- [and no fireirons!! ---- but that's another story...]

I don't think the passengers were exactly after 08 mileage!
deltic14

Location: On the end of a lever, somewhere on the big railway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunter_i wrote:
Slight divergence to the Class 11, but it seems to have been under restoration for years, and there was a recent reference somewhere to now waiting on an operating agreement.

So is it in service and is it in black?

Saw it shunting stock at Kidder yesterday.
olly5764

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reference to the origional question of speed, you don't realise just how long the tunnel is till you go through with a jocko!
hart_r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Has a Class 08 ever been used on a SVR passenger train? Reply with quote

Here's a good one.

I once remember sitting, for what seemed like a very long time, in a GWR carriage on a Northbound train, at Bewdley, during a very windy Autumn Steam Gala in the late 1990s. The problem became apparent after about an hour, when a Southbound train, hauled by 60009, piloted by a diesel electric shunter and match wagon, arrived with the train.

On the match wagon was a chainsaw and I think, a bicycle. The Southbound train had been halted by a tree which had fallen across the track, presumably between Arley and Bewdley.

Does anyone remember the exact year and date? It's not often you see an A4 and an 08 double heading!
mick_wilson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Has a Class 08 ever been used on a SVR passenger train? Reply with quote

hart_r wrote:
and I think, a bicycle.
Was the bike significant?
Noffer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: 08s Reply with quote

If it had been the Class 11 strapped on the front then yes the bicycle would have been necessary!. Only joking Ozzy. The 11 is not a bad loco at all. Get it used son!.
Derek Wright

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove the Class 11 last Saturday and found it to be a very good machine, once I had got it started that is. Thereís an additional lubricating oil pressure operated switch in the starting circuit which requires the oil pressure to be pumped up to around 20 p.s.i. before the engine will turn over. Itís quite difficult to get and hold 20 p.s.i. using a semi rotary pump! Because of its smaller wheels the locomotive is restricted to 12Ĺ mph but is stronger than the 08 because of this feature. Nice little machine with great potential! Very Happy
olly5764

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true Derek, but in light of the type of work she will normally be doing, then 12 mph is fine, does this mean we can have our station pilot (3022) back at Bewdley please mister?
Inspector Biffo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not Olly, the three shunt loco's are now on a structured maintenance programme which requires two serviceable loco's to be available at Kiddy, one in service and one spare with the third stopped for maintenance. I would assume that once 08 133 is back in traffic this may then enable the return of a loco to Bewdley to act as pilot.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FB photo today shows D3022 receiving some paint and its numbers as its overhaul nears completion, and D3201 undergoing radiator repairs

Patrick
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On FB Jeff Atkins reports the 08 group are working on D3022 (repainting prior to release to traffic) and D3201 (engine top end overhaul has commenced)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209562795689744&set=pcb.994108787346887&type=3&theater

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
mrmover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but are the black & yellow wasp stripes reversed on these 2 locos?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: