SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pacific Power: 22 to 26 September 2016 (replaced ASG)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Seen on another forum, there is to be a TV programme towards Christmas featuring a one-hour real-time journey on FS from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster, along the lines of the previously shown sleigh ride, canal boat journey and more recently the country bus through the Yorkshire Dales.
Hope the SVR are eventually able to sell a DVD in conjunction with the BBC, -it should be a winner.

I did see a lot of Twitter references from a drone/film company who spent all six days - thanks

https://twitter.com/DroneManUK/status/780458876453920768/photo/1

Kurnia Aerial Photo ‏@DroneManUK Sep 26
That's a wrap on a 6 day shoot with @HaloVue in the @svrofficialsite for the BBC filming the #FlyingScotsman
Thanks SVR 4 making us welcome

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bewdley Station
14 hrs ·
The Bewdley station management team would like to record their sincere thanks to our staff who supported us over the 6 days of the pacific power event. Not only did we recruit our own staff to help, but also staff from other departments at Bewdley and other departments along the railway. We also enlisted help from friends who work at other railways. We could not have pulled it off without your help, and also the co-operation of all the other departments who work at Bewdley site. We hope we did not disrupt you too much on site, but the fact that we did not have to fill in a single accident report form speaks volumes. The site has now been returned to normality for the last week of daily running. Once again, thank you all for your help. much appreciated.

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the focus on Flying Scotsman, I think the significance of a nine coach teak set has been overlooked. While trying to confirm whether this was the first time nine teaks had run in preservation, or just the first time nine had run behind Flying Scotsman, I got the following reply from Richard Hill of the LNER Carriage Group.

"Below is an updated extract from a note I did earlier (for the Trust) about that run. Feel free to use it.

I was privileged to travel in the last BR scheduled train hauled by 60103 on a freezing 14th January 1963 – for the price of a cheap day return to Doncaster. No one then knew the future for working steam. In the company of like-minded enthusiasts we were all determined to have a last close encounter with the sound and smells of the A3’s final run in public service. In the train’s front coach it was standing room only all the way from King’s Cross to Doncaster. Inevitably all the windows remained firmly open, so any train heating was totally ineffective! But I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. The steam railway scene was then a wasteland of rust and decay, and it was depressing to see lines of withdrawn locos lineside at Peterborough and elsewhere.

A brighter highlight was the Gresley Society’s special train on 2nd May 1964. This was the last day on which any BR-era express train was formed entirely with Gresley’s magnificent teak carriages, albeit by then in BR maroon livery. From 1948 the wonderful original varnished teak finish had had paint slapped over it by a nationalised body seeking a modern image. The 1964 train was formed of nine LNER Gresley teak carriages. This is by happy chance the same number as the restored full set of nine Gresley teaks now owned by the SVR Charitable Trust for operation on the SVR and used with 60103 and 60163 for the Pacific Power event. Railway heritage and history have come a long way in the intervening years.

September 2016 has also seen another happy coincidence in that the North York Moors Railway ran a charter train for the LNER Coach Association to mark entry into service of their magnificent restoration of Thompson Corridor Third No.1623. So on 24th September, during our special event with nine Gresley teaks, NYMR ran their first ever eight carriage restored LNER train (7 Gresley teaks plus one steel panelled scumbled teak Thompson). Together the two historic occasions marked a significant preservation era milestone."
cherry_p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another aspect of the 6-days was that a fair number of visitors to Bridgnorth were obviously locals who happily paid their £2 each to come and see what the fuss was all about, and show the kids the 'famous' engine. I had a day taking entrance money, and people seemed to be going away quite happy. Hopefully it will have raised the profile of the railway with the local residents, and might even have given them the idea to come and actually travel on the train sometime!
And operationally, it went pretty well. I had 2 round trips driving SKP on Friday, which I rather enjoyed -- and Bulleid Pacifics are normally far from my favourite locos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: