SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New footbridge proposal at Dowles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: New footbridge proposal at Dowles Reply with quote

The Rotary Club of Bewdley are proposing installing a footbridge across the Severn at Dowles using the piers of the old railway bridge. They are proposing a new bridge across the B4194 Dowles Road using the old railway bridge abutments as well, all as part of a foot and cycle path from Bewdley town centre in to the Wyre Forest.
https://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/page.php?PgID=628408&ClubID=1684

A bridge over the road sounds like a good idea. At present, it's a very dangerous crossing as the two paths are not opposite each other, so crossing the road actually involves walking about 100 yards along an unlit, 60mph road with no pavements, close to a blind bend.
I like the idea of a bridge over the river as well, but it does seem an odd way of improving access to the forest from Bewdley. I'd have thought upgrading the footpath on the west bank to a bridleway and improving the surface on the short section between the end of the park and Dowles Brook would have been a lot easier and cheaper.

Does the SVR own the trackbed right up to Dowles Bridge, including the bridge over Northwood Lane?
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Graham, it is good that the bridge could be put to a use again. But I think the Railway should consider the longer term future as just perhaps one day the SVR may wish to run trains that way? This may or may not happen but if a cycle bridge is put in it may harm that vision. Do we not have a duty to the future SVR membership in 50 or so years time to try to protect that vision?

So to my question. How much is the cycle bridge to cost and how much more would a combined railway and cycle bridge cost?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=772

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the possibility of trains ever running over the bridge again is so remote that it's not worth taking in to account if planning a foot & cycle bridge.
I thought the project was of interest as it may require access via SVR owned land.
There have also been suggestions of relaying the track as far as the bridge to extend the "Tenbury Stourport" DMU shuttle service that has been run during previous galas.
Perhaps if there was a footbridge at the end of the line giving access to the forest, it might be worth making this a more regular feature.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Dowles Bridge Reply with quote

I understand that there is little likelihood of a bridge over the road once the river is crossed, for the same reason as there is little likelihood of one to the north of Bridgnorth station, ie. the height of the bridge over the road would be below the expected height to allow vehicles to pass under it and the abutments would require rebuilding.
( I've been up that road, both on my way to Arley and to Bridgnorth, and would be wary if the bridge were still there! )

Peter
Robin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New footbridge proposal at Dowles Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Does the SVR own the trackbed right up to Dowles Bridge, including the bridge over Northwood Lane?
The Northwood Lane bridge wasn't included in the Wyre Forest District Council Local Heritage List of SVR assets. Given how many other bridges were included, that may suggest that they don't.
Danny252

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: New footbridge proposal at Dowles Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
I like the idea of a bridge over the river as well, but it does seem an odd way of improving access to the forest from Bewdley. I'd have thought upgrading the footpath on the west bank to a bridleway and improving the surface on the short section between the end of the park and Dowles Brook would have been a lot easier and cheaper.

I had similar thoughts about some of the other statements on the linked pages. For example, one statement is that "at present there is no decent pathway to walk or cycle between [Bewdley, Stourport, and Kidderminster]", but adding a bridge at Dowles will do absolutely nothing to connect them!

I'm also curious about statements suggesting it could be used for pushchair or wheelchair access to the forest; it seems like an awfully long way to push one of those from Bewdley right into the Wyre Forest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: