SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old photos - Bewdley
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Photographic Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Undated and uncredited from "Wribbenhall, the day before yesterday" by the Bewdley Hisorical Research Group. It looks like the short platform canopy, which would make it pre 1900.

Bewdley PW by Graham Phillips, on Flickr
A great photo. That looks like the urinal on the platform, which I think was the 'additional toilet accommodation' authorised in 1896. There look to be some major works taking place. Could this be around the time the Rock Siding and yard siding work was authorised in August 1900?
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1909 postcard of Rag Lane (Northwood Lane). Listed on the Wyre Forest District Council Local Heritage List as SVR034*, "SVR Culvert 95: Large blue brick culvert 30" wide 39" high running under railway embankment"

s-l1600 by Graham Phillips, on Flickr

Source, postcard on eBay.
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Late 1920s or early 1930s"

20476436_1590223907688707_1819942210157519522_n by Graham Phillips, on Flickr

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1590223907688707&set=pcb.259416924462588&type=3&theater
Graham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Troops Bewdley 1918"
The shed has been identified on Facebook as possibly being one that was by the pipeline bridge, in which case Folly Point would be just out of shot to the left. The contours and curve of the track look about right for that.

25289173_10155443140883167_7537071915889193219_n by Graham Phillips, on Flickr

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155443140883167&set=gm.1540242492735929&type=3&theater
Graham

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1887. I'm sure it's not just me who finds some of the times on these old timetables confusing. 9.2 is 9:02, not 9:20 for example. The fact that 2.7 exists at all, let alone comes before 2.45 is a bit of a clue.

27067039_398914237229356_2026640720906192645_n by Graham Phillips, on Flickr

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=398914237229356&set=gm.1578573472236164&type=3&theater&ifg=1
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham - I too find the timetable confusing as the stations do not apear in the obvious order. The 8.20 off Bewdley gets to KD at 8.30 and Stourbridge junc at 8.50. However by a feat of time travel it gets to Snow Hill at 9.42 and somehow gets to Dudkey before it set off and arrives Wolverhampton 3 minutes after arriving at Stourbridge. I must be missing something
sharpo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
Graham - I too find the timetable confusing as the stations do not apear in the obvious order. The 8.20 off Bewdley gets to KD at 8.30 and Stourbridge junc at 8.50. However by a feat of time travel it gets to Snow Hill at 9.42 and somehow gets to Dudkey before it set off and arrives Wolverhampton 3 minutes after arriving at Stourbridge. I must be missing something

Wolverhampton arrival 09.53 on timetable, perhaps you misread it as 08.53.

Stourbridge to Dudley time seems about right for the distance.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Danny252

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:

It's very typical for timetables of the steam era (and possibly even later than that) to show possible connections via other trains as a single entry, without explicitly stating where that connection may be. For example, I think it's quite safe to say that the 8.22am from Bewdley did not run all the way to London Paddington!

The case you mentioned presumably indicates a connection at Kidderminster or Stourbridge Jn to a separate train (or trains, if the 8.20 terminates elsewhere) for Birmingham/Wolverhampton. The next entry appears to show that the fastest route was to take a Bewdley-Droitwich train (or even Bewdley-Hartlebury then Hartlebury-Droitwitch) and subsequently change train there.

How the lowly passenger of the day ever worked out where to change trains and get connections, I don't know - did passengers have to continually pester the railway's employees?
Graham

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess was that one train leaves Wolverhampton at 7:35 and stops at Dudley at 8:01. Meanwhile, another train leaves Snow Hill at 7:40.
Both these trains then arrive at Stourbridge Junction in time to be formed in to one train that departs for Bewdley at 8:30.
In the opposite direction, a train arrives at Stourbridge Junction from Bewdley at 9:53. the train is then divided with one portion arriving at Wolverhampton at 10:45 and the other arriving at Birmingham at 10:55.
No need for the passengers to change trains, they simply need one of the many porters, guards or TTIs on duty to ensure they sit in the correct carriage for their intended destination.

Similarly, could it be that, say, a two coach train leaves Bewdley for Worcester, where it is tacked on the back of a six coach train that has come from Birmingham. The resulting eight coach train then continues to London, leaving the Bewdley locomotive free for other local duties?
On the return journey, the TTI would ensure that all Bewdley ticket holders were in the correct two carriages.

This is all just speculation based on my modern expectation to have connections shewn on the timetable, although if as Danny says, it was common practice not to show them in the 19th century, I could well be wrong.

None of that explains how the 10:17 from Bewdley "runs on to Ludlow" on Mondays and gets there 49 minutes earlier than usual though. The junction faces the wrong way for a train to run straight through.
More speculation, but maybe on Mondays the train stops at Leominster, runs round, then goes to Ludlow. Every other day of the week it continues on to Hereford, so passengers have to get off at Leominster and wait for the next northbound train.

Going back to the first photo in this thread, there are seven staff on the platform and another six at ground level. I'm sure any passenger who was unsure could find someone to explain how it all worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Photographic Section All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: