SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London Midland contract award: 2015 - December 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lench_S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
If the new franchisees are having more rolling stock built, then that should --eventually--help with overcrowding.

I had this discussion a year or so ago with a senior LM official, and the answer then was very much "Yes we know the Hereford-Birmingham trains can be grossly overcrowded, even from Malvern or Worcester, but there just isn't any more rolling stock we can get our hands on..."

Does sound like no immediate improvement, sadly.

Rob

I believe London Midland had an option to purchase more carriages when the class 172s were ordered but they decided not to take that option up...
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
Standard Tank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lench_S wrote:
Derby4 wrote:
If the new franchisees are having more rolling stock built, then that should --eventually--help with overcrowding.

I had this discussion a year or so ago with a senior LM official, and the answer then was very much "Yes we know the Hereford-Birmingham trains can be grossly overcrowded, even from Malvern or Worcester, but there just isn't any more rolling stock we can get our hands on..."

Rob

I believe London Midland had an option to purchase more carriages when the class 172s were ordered but they decided not to take that option up...

LM had an option for 26 additional class 172 vehicles but could not convince the DfT to sign off the funding so the option lapsed.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Tank wrote:
Lench_S wrote:
Derby4 wrote:

Rob

LM had an option for 26 additional class 172 vehicles but could not convince the DfT to sign off the funding so the option lapsed.

That IS a pity.

Thanks for the clarification. I remembered reading about it somewhere.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't read the full documentation about the new franchise, but I wonder if the new people will put any pressure on Network Rail to look at the operating constraints on some of the services?

For instance Hereford- Malvern- Worcester- Bromsgrove- Birmingham is constrained by three single line sections, Hereford-Ledbury, Ledbury-Malvern Wells, and Droitwich to Stoke Works junction.

I surmise there may well be other ex-LM services that are similarly constrained by infrastructure.

Rob
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
I havn't read the full documentation about the new franchise, but I wonder if the new people will put any pressure on Network Rail to look at the operating constraints on some of the services?

For instance Hereford- Malvern- Worcester- Bromsgrove- Birmingham is constrained by three single line sections, Hereford-Ledbury, Ledbury-Malvern Wells, and Droitwich to Stoke Works junction.

I surmise there may well be other ex-LM services that are similarly constrained by infrastructure.

Rob

The CP6 period 2019-2024 looks like it is limited to a maintenance basis with very few enhancements, IIRC the SOFA (statement of Funds Available) has been deferred until October. Ely-Soham has been suggested by the minister as being one that might get through. As completion of GW main line and Trans-Pennine electrification is pulled, it would seem Worcestershire enhancements stand little chance.

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rob and Patrick, I don't know how factual this is but is the new high speed railway going to consume vast sums of money and there is only so much money to go around? I suppose that is another debate though.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divington_R wrote:
Dear Rob and Patrick, I don't know how factual this is but is the new high speed railway going to consume vast sums of money and there is only so much money to go around? I suppose that is another debate though.

There in is the problem with public funding as opposed to private funding.

If HS2 is to be built, it should be funded by the private sector.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe2027 wrote:
Divington_R wrote:

There in is the problem with public funding as opposed to private funding.

If HS2 is to be built, it should be funded by the private sector.

IIRC HS2 is expected to receive investment from China as well as others.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it will soon be time to say 'au revoir mon ami' to London Midland. Thank you for getting me around the Midlands over the years. Could it be that we we will see you again in 7 years time or so?
sharpo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder how soon a train in the new livery will be seen?

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Standard Tank

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:

I understand that a class 172 and a class 350 will be tarted up for next Sunday.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:

Any mention of 'London Midland' has already been covered up on most units. The announcements on some 172s have also been changed to remove mention of London Midland.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:

As it's mostly vinyls they can be re-done fairly quickly. That said, here in Scotland there's still plenty of units going round in the First style livery from a few years ago.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC news page has published a farewell piece called "The moments London Midland passengers will not forget". This can be read from my hyperlink http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42284721
sharpo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the Class 172 units filmed at the start of my video from yesterday, the "London Midland" lettering had already been removed.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: