SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double tracking - The obvious extension: February 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lench_S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
Quote:
Why?

If you take out one of the Bullied's, that leaves the fleet at 7 locos (with only 5 capable of hauling 8 coaches) which is not really enough and brings back the old issue of having to hire in loco's. Its ok people asking for panniers, and whilst 7714 is in the works, it is not exactly flying through is it!! 34053 has been a HUGE boost to the SVR at a time when the fleet was down to its bare bones a few years back.

Just think of how many other railways would like to have 2 such prestigious locos in its fleet and be able to justify their usage...

I'm not a fan of the Bullieds personally, but I recognise how important they are to the railway, both currently from an operational point of view and in terms of the prestige they bring and admiration they receive from passengers. They are an asset to the railway.

Not sure people are asking for just panniers - Hagley Hall, 7325 and 45110 would be very nice to have in service for a start.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
cwm46

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
cwm46 wrote:
Derby4 wrote:
And do we really need two Bulleid pacifics?

Yes

Why?

They bring importance to the railway. Whether they suite their surroundings or not they are impressively big machines. Just seeing the two at rest in Bridgnorth yard makes one believe that the SVR might be the premier preserved railway.
As I recall West Countries did appear on single track lines in BR days so maybe they aren't out of place on the SVR.
I loved it when we had Britannia and long to see the 8F back in action. Don't get me wrong, I also love locos like the Manors, panniers and 4566.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwm46 wrote:
michaelh wrote:
cwm46 wrote:
Derby4 wrote:
And do we really need two Bulleid pacifics?

Yes

Why?

They bring importance to the railway. Whether they suite their surroundings or not they are impressively big machines. Just seeing the two at rest in Bridgnorth yard makes one believe that the SVR might be the premier preserved railway.
As I recall West Countries did appear on single track lines in BR days so maybe they aren't out of place on the SVR.
I loved it when we had Britannia and long to see the 8F back in action. Don't get me wrong, I also love locos like the Manors, panniers and 4566.

It would be foolish to try to run the SVR as it was in BR and GWR days. The SVR has always been a heritage railway rather than a preserved railway, so that itís set in amber.

The pacifics may look unwieldy and track bashing engines, however, they do get the punters in, so make a profit for the SVR.

This is not to say that I only like pacifics. I like all types of locomotive, small, medium or large. I think the small/medium locos fit in well on the SVR, the likes of manors, moguls, prairies and panniers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already a section of double track on the current railway as in signalling terms the section through platform one and two at Bewdley between North and South boxes is signalled as a double track
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but with the recent closure of Ironbridge Power Station, does that mean the extra girders on the top of Albert Edward Bridge are now surplus to requirements?
Perhaps they could be bought and bolted on to Victoria Bridge to make this proposal more feasible. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: