SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridgnorth Station redevelopment: 2012 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny252

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madderlake wrote:
I saw no sign of joinery last week. In its current condition it is not going to come to any harm anyway.

I, too, am a little lost as to Derby4's repeated concern over making the building watertight, given that (to my knowledge) the only things in the building are the bare construction elements that are expected to handle several decades of rough weather anyway (floors, walls, roof, window frames, etc.).
Derby4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks madderlake, any update will be appreciated.
I used "watertight" because that was the word Mr Bond used in his report relating to the imminent start of work by the roofing contractors.

When I was last at Bridgnorth in November the floor space in the building was like a shallow swimming pool, which to my mind at the very least would make working in there unpleasant.

I take your point about windows and doors. Maybe I expect the progress to follow the Broadway station building on the GWSR, where the roof went on as a first priority before the windows and doors were fitted. ( all well documented thanks to their bloggers)

No doubt someone has a big flow chart on their portacabin wall!

Edit: I think I had better desist from commenting further on this issue, as I am becoming somewhat repetetive. My only concern, hopefully like other shareholders, is to see progress on the new building, particularly now that winter is upon us.

Last edited by Derby4 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lench_S wrote:
Probably more than a pint after cutting 13,000 bricks in half..........
Their carear choice. Very Happy

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
madderlake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Thursday the roof deck over the gents looked to be boarded out and covered with a temporary sheet, and it looked as though work was being done on the fireplace and chimney breast in the dining room.
Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The images on SVRLive from yesterday show that no temporary roof covering was in place, and the whole site well covered in snow.so presumably work has now come to a stop. The bad weather was well forecast in advance.

Some issue must have arisen on site. David Postle's article in the winter SVR News states " The whole building should be watertight by the end of November."
This setback is bound to have an effect on the overall schedule.
Rob
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to SVR Wiki, "...consideration has been given to replacing the current Bridgnorth signal box...A new signal box would likely be located on the opposite side of the line at the station throat..."
Is this still being considered? I haven't heard any further mention of it.
With Bridgnorth station becoming a more attractive destination in its own right, more volunteers on site with the new accommodation block and more loco movements with the new turntable, then having a new better sited signal box and turning the current one in to a display box sounds like a good idea.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to Chris Thomas about it, probably a year ago. The advantages are considerable, as you set out, and one he would love to do. The downside is it would be a huge and complex S&T exercise and disruptive and expensive too.

I don't know here it's at though. Through back, neck and shoulder complaints I get to Bridgnorth far less than I used to, I've just passed two years since I could do manual volunteering Sad

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Danny252

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there are more advanced rumblings in a closed committee somewhere, I'm not aware of it progressing significantly further than "it would be nice if...".

Following Patrick's comments, it would probably be the largest S&T project since Kidderminster box was built, and S&T always seem to have several years' worth of major maintenance projects waiting for additional manpower.

I also suspect that there's a desire to complete the "current" stages of the Bridgnorth project first.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to David Postle at Kidderminster today.
He expressed disappointment at the current state of the new Bridgnorth building, very wet inside after no protective roof covering being put in place by the contractors after the roof rafter units were put in place earlier this month.

He said serious words would be spoken at his next meeting with the contractors.
Bryan Clarke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time is money. I understand the ground works took time, and the time spent cutting bricks in half was time consuming - one man probably 6 months ! BUT. I am not the only one wondering what is going on with this build, and who is managing it on behalf of the SVR ? External appearances of the builders compound made a colleague of mine from the Construction Industry comment, without any prompting from me, about the professionalism of the contractors over the Christmas period.

The construction time taken on a fairly small, single storey and simple build, even given the Heritage aspect, does appear to be somewhat excessive, and therefore expensive. I understand that these comments will not be welcome in some quarters, but many others are asking the same question.

Last edited by Bryan Clarke on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
The progress report from Mr Bond says that the building will be brought into use with temporary roofing, pending the delivery next march of the slates.

The Glos-Warks new station building at Broadway looks smart roofed with corrugated material ( as is Toddington) so hopefully we see something smart, even if temporary, on the Bridgnorth building.

You can always re-use something like corrugated sheeting later on another project.
I was pondering why there is a projected 3 to 4 month wait for the roof slates. Could this indicate a problem in the programme management control or perhaps indicate there has been a cash flow issue?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"An unfortunate consequence of unprecedented demand, the delivery of the Welsh slates will be the delayed until March 2018. "
November 7th 2017
Chris Bond Infrastructure Manager

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...and the time spent cutting bricks in half was time consuming

Was it ever explained why 13000 bricks had to be cut in half instead of buying 26000 half bricks?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not engaged in the project but I did some stewarding earlier in the year at the Open Hose or Peep, I can't remember which.

From explanations/conversations I heard I think it was all tied up with 'authenticity' - using discoloured, misfired 'seconds' bricks which were both cheaper than using new* and gave a more heritage feel. See Chris Bond Infrastructure Manager notes July 27th 2017 at http://www.svrlive.com/bridgnorth-development-archive-2017

*I know that might have been negated for the half bricks by the cutting, but that would give a mix of old and new bricks and so ruin the authenticity.

Patrick

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the manufacturers don't sell enough half bricks to have 26000 rejects left over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 65 of 67

Jump to: