SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SR 4-6-2 34053 Sir Keith Park
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Does this departure potentially leave us short of motive power next Summer?
The Standard 4 is due back to replace the "Manor" that comes out of ticket, and I assume 42968 is some way off.

Rob

With all the usual caveats

Stanier Mogul Fund's overhaul update posted on July 22, 2017 says 64 weeks to go, so circa mid-October 2018, in time for Christmas running. So five instead of six larger locomotives from the start of running in February throughout the main running season until then.

1501 and 7714 are also available for the lighter services and 813 can run the 'short formation' dining service too.

Looking at this week are up to four large steam in use including specials. If in 2018, say, one of the five available was on repairs and one on washout then it would be either a reduced train length or, I guess, double heading the 'smaller' engines.

Patrick
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Derby4 wrote:
The Standard 4 is due back to replace the "Manor" that comes out of ticket, and I assume 42968 is some way off.

Rob

With all the usual caveats

Stanier Mogul Fund's overhaul update posted on July 22, 2017 says 64 weeks to go, so circa mid-October 2018, in time for Christmas running. So five instead of six larger locomotives from the start of running in February throughout the main running season until then.

1501 and 7714 are also available for the lighter services and 813 can run the 'short formation' dining service too.

Looking at this week are up to four large steam in use including specials. If in 2018, say, one of the five available was on repairs and one on washout then it would be either a reduced train length or, I guess, double heading the 'smaller' engines.

Patrick
Alternativly a dispensation to haul heavier loads could be given. When we had a loco failure 7714 was given a dispensation for 7 for'238t 7714 is of course in A1 condition and handled the weight with ease. We shall see.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did think of that. 4566 had one last year too I think. AFAIAA the dispensations have been offered only for Thunderbird/late substitutions, rather than planned diagrams?

Patrick
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely 1501 could pull 8 coaches as it was built for shunting at Paddington.
sharpo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:

Wasn't the problem originally to do with running low on water on one occasion?

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
GWR5764PT wrote:

Wasn't the problem originally to do with running low on water on one occasion?
Water capacity is the main potential problem with 1501 and 7714. Properly handled, you can do kidder to Bridgnorth with 8 coaches with water to spare, but obviously there isn't as much margin as on a tender loco. I'd take 8 any day with either. One problem apparently was one driver who was unaware that 1501 has a small ejector rather than a pump to maintain vacuum, and therefore used the large ejector all the time, which uses a lot of steam, and therefore water.
I can see the argument for not using them in the steam-heat season, as this will definitely use up quite a lot of water, but that wouldn't be a problem on a day like today!!
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
Alternativly a dispensation to haul heavier loads could be given. When we had a loco failure 7714 was given a dispensation for 7 for'238t 7714 is of course in A1 condition and handled the weight with ease. We shall see.

A further alternative would be a SSG visitor staying for a bit afterwards and/or an ASG visitor coming early.

Patrick
Black 5 man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:

Rob

There is a more pressing problem, and that is Christmas running.

With 2857 withdrawn for planned maintenance to prepare it for its anniversary year in 2018, even if 7812 stays fit to see out its 'ticket' we will still be a Class 4 (minimum) loco short.

Therefore it looks likely that we will see a 'hire in' for the busy pre-Christmas trains and perhaps, just perhaps, that same loco might stay around for the main 2018 running season.

Possibly not connected, but I see in the latest Heritage Railway magazine that the blue 'King' might be coming to SVR for running in.

Black 5 man
jackson_p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extract from the SVR web site

Subject to availability, Sir Keith Park (is planned to be) hauling services on January 1st & 2nd (Festive Season service). Further details will be available shortly.

Refer to http://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=812
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLL news item http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/News/news.html

Quote:
The background to this was that a long term hire agreement at Swanage was preferable to the shorter terms available at SVR, and the overhaul of the loco at Swanage would be more assured and viable than if it stayed at SVR.

More on the link

Patrick
LMS2968

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today:

It was also having a boiler washout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
Page 33 of 33

Jump to: