SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR 0-6-0ST 813 facing which direction?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Photographic Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
michaelh



Joined: 08 Oct 2005
Posts: 922
Location: Droitwich Spa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: GWR 0-6-0ST 813 facing which direction? Reply with quote

Meet our Locomotives says 813 facing Kidderminster. Pics suggest otherwise Smile
_________________
Michael Howard
Heritage Railways supporter since 1968
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21979240@N07/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1903
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 813 Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
Meet our Locomotives says 813 facing Kidderminster. Pics suggest otherwise Smile
changed!
Once the turntable goes in at Bridgnorth, we will need to remove the "Direction facing" bit. Even now, with only the one turntable on the railway, it can change at any time, but with one at each end it's likely to change far more often.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
adam247



Joined: 17 Feb 2011
Posts: 24
Location: Halesowen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 813 Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
michaelh wrote:
Meet our Locomotives says 813 facing Kidderminster. Pics suggest otherwise Smile
changed!
Once the turntable goes in at Bridgnorth, we will need to remove the "Direction facing" bit. Even now, with only the one turntable on the railway, it can change at any time, but with one at each end it's likely to change far more often.

I would hope that with a turntable at both ends it should eliminate a need for tender first running
_________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ap_johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GWR5764PT



Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 671
Location: Kidderminster Station

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 813 Reply with quote

adam247 wrote:
cherry_p wrote:
michaelh wrote:
Meet our Locomotives says 813 facing Kidderminster. Pics suggest otherwise Smile
changed!
Once the turntable goes in at Bridgnorth, we will need to remove the "Direction facing" bit. Even now, with only the one turntable on the railway, it can change at any time, but with one at each end it's likely to change far more often.

I would hope that with a turntable at both ends it should eliminate a need for tender first running


There is no time in a normal timetable turn the engines at both ends.
_________________
Tim Easton, an SVR volunteer previously Kidderminster Town Station, now 3 years now on train buffet steward for 2 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Buffer



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 688
Location: Leamington Spa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 813 Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:
adam247 wrote:
cherry_p wrote:
michaelh wrote:
Meet our Locomotives says 813 facing Kidderminster. Pics suggest otherwise Smile
changed!
Once the turntable goes in at Bridgnorth, we will need to remove the "Direction facing" bit. Even now, with only the one turntable on the railway, it can change at any time, but with one at each end it's likely to change far more often.

I would hope that with a turntable at both ends it should eliminate a need for tender first running


There is no time in a normal timetable turn the engines at both ends.


In that case, shouldn't consideration be given to altering timetables to make the time available?
_________________
Buffer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danny252



Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 1191

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 813 Reply with quote

Buffer wrote:
In that case, shouldn't consideration be given to altering timetables to make the time available?


There are already issues with the short turnarounds required of crews and the long working hours asked from volunteer crews. 2017's timetable was particularly bad, to the extent that the railway has made a concerted effort to make the 2018 timetable less onerous on volunteers.

Adding in my guesstimate of 20 minutes (is that optimistic or pessimistic?) for turning at each end adds up to a full hour, assuming one turning can be "absorbed" at start/end of day.
_________________
Daniel Evans
Tea drinker and brass polisher
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Photographic Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group