SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome to the new server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Welcome to the new server Reply with quote

Over the weekend I moved the forums to a new server. Whilst every effort was made to minimise any loss of service, the time taken to move the database took longer than anticipated.

Normal service should now have resumed.

Please let me know if you experience any problems with the new service.

Many thanks.

Paul
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be working fine Paul.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
mikepreston

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: New server Reply with quote

Paul, the site seems fine.

Does the railway pay for the site alongside the main site? Because they had a problem with the main site recently and I wondered if the move was related?

Keep up the good work.

MP
webmaster
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for letting me know. To answer your questions, "NO". The Railway does not have anything to do with the Forum site. The Forums are something I do on a volunteer basis (as should the main site in my opinion).

The move of the servers is purely coincidental with the problems on the main site. As a self-employed person I run a small web hosting service mainly for the use of my customer base. Therefore, I have the inhouse resources to publish this site.

The whole site started around 8 years ago, long before the SVR had its own site. I proposed the idea of a website and a meeting was held at Bewdley, but nothing ever came of it. A while later the Railway decided to have a professional job done rather than a volunteer run one. Initially this was to concentrate on the more commercial aspects of the Railway i.e. group bookings,catering and the like. As my site held a lot more general info about the SVR, it was decided that my site should be called the "official unofficial SVR Website" !! Following the decision in recent years for the main site to publish more general info, I decided to cut my site down as it only duplicated the info. Therefore, today we are left with a basic picture gallery and the forums.

Paul
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webmaster wrote:
The move of the servers is purely coincidental with the problems on the main site.
A "volunteer" site may not need the resilience that a professional site should have.
webmaster wrote:
A while later the Railway decided to have a professional job done rather than a volunteer run one.
Cue comments about the "Official Site". Laughing

Jurasik

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boldford wrote:
webmaster wrote:
The move of the servers is purely coincidental with the problems on the main site.
A "volunteer" site may not need the resilience that a professional site should have.
webmaster wrote:
A while later the Railway decided to have a professional job done rather than a volunteer run one.
Cue comments about the "Official Site". Laughing

Official Site?
OK!
No locomotive/rolling stock pages
No Gallery of stations/rolling stock! (at least, not on the front page - the stations are covered in the route page)

This site has, by far, more information about the SVR than the `official' site. I get the impression that the official site is for the casual visitor & tourist, not the enthusiast! (footplate experience excepted)
There isn't even a link to this site, from their links page!

Webmaster, please feel free to move this post to a new thread if you feel it is not appropriate in this one. (I know boldford was joking about the comments to the official site, but I couldn't resist Laughing )
boldford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurasik wrote:
I know boldford was joking about the comments to the official site,
I was! Was I?

If other posters criticise the official web site more strongly the webmaster here may be obliged to lock his own thread.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

mikepreston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webmaster wrote:
To answer your questions, "NO". The Railway does not have anything to do with the Forum site. The Forums are something I do on a volunteer basis (as should the main site in my opinion).

Why not? Surely the official site could be done by volunteers. Maybe you should try and get some other interested/skilled volunteers together and try tackling the subject again. I am sure you will have backing if you do so.

boldford wrote:
If other posters criticise the official web site more strongly the webmaster here may be obliged to lock his own thread.

Why? What are you hinting at? Surely continuing the thread is valid, and so are the comments. Unless you are suggesting that a move to a new topic is required? In which case just say so.

MP
boldford

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikepreston wrote:
Why? What are you hinting at? Surely continuing the thread is valid, and so are the comments. Unless you are suggesting that a move to a new topic is required? In which case just say so.
A tongue in cheek remark to the furor generated by the creation of the original Lynne Truss Award thread.

creese_m

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Huddy runs the "un official" West Somerset website , which knocks spots off the Official site

Personally I can see no clash between the two and it's down to the willingness of an individual to update and run the site.

In comparison with other railways the SVR is weak in it's web presence and by that I mean regular news and updates , pictures , loco rosters

Paul , on behalf of myself thank you for your efforts

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Forum Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: