SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Class 20 D8059 (20059)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bradleyman



Joined: 23 Jun 2007
Posts: 824

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firing up of a loco (diesel or steam) to go light engine from Kidderminster to Highley and back to collect a couple of wagons sounds rather profligate when a matter of hours later a further regular timetabled light engine move from Bridgnorth through to Kidderminster could have easily arranged to call to collect these wagons?

Are those arranging these moves generally aware that the railway is trying to save money in an attempt to be able to keep up with basic expenditure on its infrastructure in order to survive?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matt_R



Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
The firing up of a loco (diesel or steam) to go light engine from Kidderminster to Highley and back to collect a couple of wagons sounds rather profligate when a matter of hours later a further regular timetabled light engine move from Bridgnorth through to Kidderminster could have easily arranged to call to collect these wagons?

Are those arranging these moves generally aware that the railway is trying to save money in an attempt to be able to keep up with basic expenditure on its infrastructure in order to survive?


The two Rudds that were collected are air brake, i assume you are referring to the light engine off B'north for the diner. If this was used it would need a guard and a brakevan organising as i don't beleive we have any working dual brake steam locos? The plan was also to drop off the BY ash wagon en-route to Highley although this did not get done as we ran out of time to empty it beforehand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danny252



Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 1138

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt_R wrote:
The two Rudds that were collected are air brake, i assume you are referring to the light engine off B'north for the diner. If this was used it would need a guard and a brakevan organising as i don't beleive we have any working dual brake steam locos? The plan was also to drop off the BY ash wagon en-route to Highley although this did not get done as we ran out of time to empty it beforehand.


Not to mention requiring the footplate crew and signalmen to be on duty a fair bit earlier to complete the shunting, to avoid delaying the services that the LE crosses on Sundays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oliver



Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 870
Location: Bridgnorth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the mid week light engine could be used or just wait until D1062 goes LE to KR on its next duty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bradleyman



Joined: 23 Jun 2007
Posts: 824

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
Matt_R wrote:
The two Rudds that were collected are air brake, i assume you are referring to the light engine off B'north for the diner. If this was used it would need a guard and a brakevan organising as i don't beleive we have any working dual brake steam locos? The plan was also to drop off the BY ash wagon en-route to Highley although this did not get done as we ran out of time to empty it beforehand.


Not to mention requiring the footplate crew and signalmen to be on duty a fair bit earlier to complete the shunting, to avoid delaying the services that the LE crosses on Sundays.


All fairly easily achieved for little more than the cost of a couple of phone calls to organise a start say 20 minutes early. The point is that unless EVERYBODY starts to take responsibility for avoiding wasteful, avoidable costs there will be no surplus to reinvest and in the end no railway.
End of o/t posting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
heap_r



Joined: 02 Jul 2003
Posts: 561

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
Danny252 wrote:
Matt_R wrote:
The two Rudds that were collected are air brake, i assume you are referring to the light engine off B'north for the diner. If this was used it would need a guard and a brakevan organising as i don't beleive we have any working dual brake steam locos? The plan was also to drop off the BY ash wagon en-route to Highley although this did not get done as we ran out of time to empty it beforehand.


Not to mention requiring the footplate crew and signalmen to be on duty a fair bit earlier to complete the shunting, to avoid delaying the services that the LE crosses on Sundays.


All fairly easily achieved for little more than the cost of a couple of phone calls to organise a start say 20 minutes early. The point is that unless EVERYBODY starts to take responsibility for avoiding wasteful, avoidable costs there will be no surplus to reinvest and in the end no railway.
End of o/t posting.

That all assumes that the volunteers agree to earlier starts and the KR guard booking on at BH vice KR - who checks his set at KR before he arrives? When does the guard get a break? What happens if a signalman travels 100 miles to be there and refuses to an even earlier start? No volunteers also equals no railway. But hey, volunteers don't have a cost value, so why worry???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
5Z50



Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heap_r wrote:
bradleyman wrote:
Danny252 wrote:
Matt_R wrote:
The two Rudds that were collected are air brake, i assume you are referring to the light engine off B'north for the diner. If this was used it would need a guard and a brakevan organising as i don't beleive we have any working dual brake steam locos? The plan was also to drop off the BY ash wagon en-route to Highley although this did not get done as we ran out of time to empty it beforehand.


Not to mention requiring the footplate crew and signalmen to be on duty a fair bit earlier to complete the shunting, to avoid delaying the services that the LE crosses on Sundays.


All fairly easily achieved for little more than the cost of a couple of phone calls to organise a start say 20 minutes early. The point is that unless EVERYBODY starts to take responsibility for avoiding wasteful, avoidable costs there will be no surplus to reinvest and in the end no railway.
End of o/t posting.

That all assumes that the volunteers agree to earlier starts and the KR guard booking on at BH vice KR - who checks his set at KR before he arrives? When does the guard get a break? What happens if a signalman travels 100 miles to be there and refuses to an even earlier start? No volunteers also equals no railway. But hey, volunteers don't have a cost value, so why worry???


A few months ago I drove up from near Cardiff, early one morning, to drive a diesel loco move, and after prepping the loco was told 'we probably won't use you now' as we can do the job with loco 'xyz' instead. Now if someone decided that the day before and told me, fine, but to tell me after I've paid for my fuel and driven up sucks a bit, don't you think?

Volunteers and volunteer labour does have a value, but I think that there are many examples when it isn't appreciated and/or is abused.

Also not considered is the need to keep up crew competency, and that can't be achieved for all diesel drivers on 10-12 Saturday turns per year.
_________________
C50A Dogsbody
WSR/SVR Driver
37906 from the start... to the end!
50049 from the start
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buffer



Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 682
Location: Leamington Spa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heap_r wrote:

That all assumes that the volunteers agree to earlier starts and the KR guard booking on at BH vice KR - who checks his set at KR before he arrives? When does the guard get a break? What happens if a signalman travels 100 miles to be there and refuses to an even earlier start? No volunteers also equals no railway. But hey, volunteers don't have a cost value, so why worry???


The 'BH vice KR' bit reminds me of a story about a former Archbishop of Canterbury who was asked by a reporter on arrival in New York if he intended to visit a night club. The Archbishop in a tone of mock surprise replied "Are there any night clubs in New York?" This was published without the reporter's question, so causing some amusement. In a similar vein, may I ask if there is any vice in BH and KR? Laughing
_________________
Buffer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5598
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am advised that on 8 December she moved sleepers from Kidderminster to Bewdley. The following day she moved ballast from Eardington to Bewdley (the concrete sleepers were left on the TMD after offloading from the Artic into the Rudds).

She will be stabled at Bewdley for the works after Christmas.

Regards

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5598
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D8059 will be our guest locomotive for our forthcoming diesel gala. We are grateful to the owning group and the Severn Valley Railway for the last minute arrangements.


http://www.churnet-valley-railway.co.uk/news/class20-visits-cheddleton

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sharpo



Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Posts: 3114
Location: Dark Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo of it in green livery at Washwood Heath

http://www.wnxx.com/content/260413/20059.htm
_________________
Sharpo (happily avoiding facebook & twitter)

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sharpo



Joined: 19 Feb 2006
Posts: 3114
Location: Dark Side

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D8059 caught me by surprise at Arley as I was about to take KC for a walk. Had to dash back for the camera. Several photos on the link, and a youtube link. (Only just started learning to take videos, so don't expect top quality!!)
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=1080
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVAD7WIDxnU


_________________
Sharpo (happily avoiding facebook & twitter)

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Danny252



Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 1138

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Only just started learning to take videos, so don't expect top quality!!


You pointed the camera at what you were filming and held it pretty much level - with that alone, you've already surpassed the technical quality of 50% of videos on Youtube!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe2027



Joined: 22 Jun 2007
Posts: 676
Location: Wednesfield

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
D8059 caught me by surprise at Arley as I was about to take KC for a walk. Had to dash back for the camera. Several photos on the link, and a youtube link. (Only just started learning to take videos, so don't expect top quality!!)
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=1080
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVAD7WIDxnU



It was being polished at Bewdley yesterday. They must have used a great deal of t-cut. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cherry_p



Joined: 17 Sep 2003
Posts: 1833
Location: Solihull

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R43184/2013/05/21/advanced shows "1057 Washwood Heath Met.Cammel to Kidderminster S.V.R." today. Not sure what this one is!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group