SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big T

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: 1501 Reply with quote

Heard in railway press 1501 being taken out of engine house and having overhaul starting in Oct. Is this correct?
walton_cw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is coming out of the Engine House in October with an overhaul planned to be complete towards the end of 2010/early 2011 (assuming adequate resources available to do the work in the time period)
glennr2008

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anything going to replace it in the engine house?
ManorFan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic - I love that little workhorse!
southerman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glennr2008 wrote:
Is anything going to replace it in the engine house?

Pannier for Pannier maybe??
Big T

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard though that there is a spare pannier boiler so that when the panniers will just route through boilers?
bradleyman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion -

the engine house is excellent for displaying out of ticket locos but so far they have all been complete ones. I am not suggesting a major departure from this but -

When 1501 is taken out why not replace it with just one (7714??) without its tanks & boiler (but otherwise tidy) so that with the aid of steps/a platform the normally inaccessible working parts can be viewed by visitors? - a bit more educational perhaps?

This would also allow work to be done on the tanks/boiler/cladding/fittings/ashpan etc at the same time.
oldrocker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
A suggestion -

the engine house is excellent for displaying out of ticket locos but so far they have all been complete ones. I am not suggesting a major departure from this but -

When 1501 is taken out why not replace it with just one (7714??) without its tanks & boiler (but otherwise tidy) so that with the aid of steps/a platform the normally inaccessible working parts can be viewed by visitors? - a bit more educational perhaps?

This would also allow work to be done on the tanks/boiler/cladding/fittings/ashpan etc at the same time.

Hear ! Hear ! Ode Pal.
mrmover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would certainly help meet the educational part of the lottery grant for the Engine House.
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come 1501 is being rushed back when the 3f has had two SVRA Raffles for it's restoration?
heap_r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:
How come 1501 is being rushed back when the 3f has had two SVRA Raffles for it's restoration?

Because most of 1501 is mechanically sound and will be a "quick fix", plus it can haul anything we throw at it.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:

I guess also part of it is that the raffle has raised money with which the deoxidised arsenical copper* has recently been ordered, but perhaps/probably further funds are required for the remainder of the restoration?

Patrick

*or whatever the stuff is called!
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big T wrote:
I heard though that there is a spare pannier boiler so that when the panniers will just route through boilers?

I'm no expert but I think - and having a look at my Pictorial Record book it looks like it - that the 1500 Class panniers and the 5700 Class panniers had different boilers.

The 1500 is shown as a GWR standard no. 10 boiler and looks like it is tapered, but the 5700 looks like a parallel boiler.

The 5700 panniers include 'our' 5764 and 7714, plus the spare boiler from the scrapped 3612.

Can anyone confirm the above and, if so, that the 'spare' pannier boiler would be for 5764/7714 and not 1501?

Thank you.

Patrick

EDIT after the reply below. I've just seen a thread on this on Nat Pres which also mentioned 1501 is saturated and 57XX superheated.

Last edited by hearn_p on Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
hassell_a

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Big T wrote:

I'm no expert but I think - and having a look at my Pictorial Record book it looks like it - that the 1500 Class panniers and the 5700 Class panniers had different boilers.

The 1500 is shown as a GWR standard no. 10 boiler and looks like it is tapered, but the 5700 looks like a parallel boiler.

The 5700 panniers include 'our' 5764 and 7714, plus the spare boiler from the scrapped 3612.

Can anyone confirm the above and, if so, that the 'spare' pannier boiler would be for 5764/7714 and not 1501?

Thank you.

Patrick

All correct Patrick

http://www.4930hagleyhall.org.uk

All Comments and Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of SVR (Holdings) PLC, SVR Company Limited, or SVR Charitable Trust.
Big T

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I have got this right the spare boiler is for ever 7714 or 5764 whichever needs it first? Meaning that ever of those panniers would be a quick overhaul? (ie. not entering engine house)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: