SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR Collett 0-6-2T 6634
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hassell_a

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 6634 Reply with quote

lms8f48773 wrote:
5600 class 0-6-2T are 5MT and class 61 are 2-6-2T 4MT 5700 class are 3f and 9400 class are 4f

Sticking up for the 57xx's, they were in fact a class 4 engine. There was a long standing error in the Ian Allen ABC's that had them down as class 3 that got rolled over from one edition to the next during the late 1950s, which is where the class 3 perception comes from.
If you think about it the 9400 class is effectively a 5700 class bottom end with the boiler from the 1500/2251 class fitted, which like the 5700's is 200psi saturated (9400 - 9409 excepted, which were superheated). With the same wheel diameter, cylinder dimensions, valve gear and boiler pressure, both classes have the same nominal tractive effort of 22,515lbs and were classfied by BR as class 4. Smile

http://www.4930hagleyhall.org.uk

All Comments and Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of SVR (Holdings) PLC, SVR Company Limited, or SVR Charitable Trust.
J-Green

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
But the economic case for either on NR would not stand up unless a frequent repeat service of some suitable sort was invented & successfully marketed.

Definitely. 9600 and 9466 cannot be making money through their current mainline duties.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
lms8f48773

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: 6634 Reply with quote

No i dont think 9600 and 9466 they are making much money at all but both any make money ?
J-Green

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 9600 must be run as a bit of fun by the Tyseley gang who make their money on the Shakespeare Express, the occasional railtour and of course contract work.

I don't know about 9466, it visits a lot of preserved lines so presumably makes its money from that.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
lms8f48773

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: 6634 Reply with quote

0-6-2T GWR No6634 shound be runing some time next year ? It will nice to see her next year Very Happy
Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news as to how the boiler is coming along at LNWR Crewe?
Gone rather quiet regarding this potentially useful loco.
oliver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard is that they have now got a different boiler for it and work has now started on that.
I think the frames are at the stage where little more can be done without the boiler, and the metal theft at crew (along with other things I would guess) has slowed the whole project down dramatically.
P Thornhill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
The last I heard is that they have now got a different boiler for it and work has now started on that.
I think the frames are at the stage where little more can be done without the boiler, and the metal theft at crew (along with other things I would guess) has slowed the whole project down dramatically.

I heard it was the boiler from 4115
Derby4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any news from LNWR Crewe as to whether they have been able to make any progress with the boiler unit from 4115, now destined for 6634?

(Nothing found on the LNWR website.)
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GM's comment in his December Round Up is quite direct:

Quote:
6634 shunted to buffer stops along side good shed at Bridgnorth. No progress or commitment on boiler

Patrick
bradleyman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time it was returned to Crewe perhaps - with a bill for the work undertaken on it so far at SVR expense. This project sounds dead & is taking up space.
Danny252

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
Time it was returned to Crewe perhaps - with a bill for the work undertaken on it so far at SVR expense. This project sounds dead & is taking up space.

Last time I was around Crewe (a couple of weeks back now), there were at least half a dozen boilers sat around outside their workshops, rusting away - plenty more dead projects there than here, it seems.
std tank

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
bradleyman wrote:

Last time I was around Crewe (a couple of weeks back now), there were at least half a dozen boilers sat around outside their workshops, rusting away - plenty more dead projects there than here, it seems.

Really, other than 6634's boiler, what were the others off?
Danny252

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std tank wrote:
Danny252 wrote:
bradleyman wrote:

Really, other than 6634's boiler, what were the others off?

I'm down there again tomorrow, so I'll try to get some numbers of what's lying around the place, assuming there's any identification on them.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
I'm unsure whether or not that would be the best option under the prevailing circumstances. I believe it had been considered but at what hourly rate do you charge for volunteer time?

All in all; a bit of a mess that could do with being sorted one way or t'other really.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: