SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR 0-6-2T 6695
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creese_m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: GWR 0-6-2T 6695 Reply with quote

Rumour on NP suggests the engine is visiting for Santa's and may be being delivered as I type

Latest photo updates on http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincreese/

Photo charter organiser for 20 years . Everyone welcome http://facebook.com/30742charters

My Blurb Bookstore http://www.blurb.com/user/store/Martincreese
cranmore_m

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrived Wednesday morning
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually got a glimpse of it, on the Stourport spur, as I passed by on the train this afternoon.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svr-engineering report that they have changed a number of copper stays on the doorplate, and are now re-assembling the locomotive for an Insurance steam test.
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see 6695 on the Santas today.

michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:

Loco and entirely appropriate stock. Was that the 1229 at Bewdley? If so I was a few feet away from you - think I recognised the dog lol. However, I put the camera down as soon as I saw the tinsel. Do they do it deliberately to p**s people off?
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
Was that the 1229 at Bewdley? If so I was a few feet away from you - think I recognised the dog lol. However, I put the camera down as soon as I saw the tinsel. Do they do it deliberately to p**s people off?

Yes, it was, don't go far without the dog these days!!

I think the tinsel is to add a bit of a "Christmas" feel for the punters who are paying to travel, it doesn't bother me.

michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
michaelh wrote:
Was that the 1229 at Bewdley? If so I was a few feet away from you - think I recognised the dog lol. However, I put the camera down as soon as I saw the tinsel. Do they do it deliberately to p**s people off?

I think the tinsel is to add a bit of a "Christmas" feel for the punters who are paying to travel, it doesn't bother me.

I wonder how many punters would have gone away disappointed if the smokeboxes had not been "adorned" with tinsel.
P Thornhill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
sharpo wrote:

Loco and entirely appropriate stock. Was that the 1229 at Bewdley? If so I was a few feet away from you - think I recognised the dog lol. However, I put the camera down as soon as I saw the tinsel. Do they do it deliberately to p**s people off?

I saw your post on nat pres "warning" about the tinsel - the way you made it sound it was like there was an entire decorated christmas tree on the front. Looking at sharpos picture I would hardly say that they went overboard and don't see the problem myself. It could be worse they could have the old headboards on the engines (the full smokebox door jobbies of a few years ago).

At the end of the day the tinsel is there as part of the effort to convey the christmas spirit and celebration - the kids love it and there are plenty of other days throughout the year that you can take tinseless pictures. I for one congratulate those who have made the effort and I am sure that the kids will appreciate it when we are there tomorrow. Remember we should be aiming to leave all these kids awestruck by their (possibly first) experience of the railway after all these kids are the volunteers of the future!

To answer the last part of your comment, no it isn't done to p**s people off, no offence but the railway isn't run so a few people can take photos and the santas are a big hit with the general public (and a good money spinner) and the general public like to see the railway making an effort, I bet in the general public's eyes the tinsel does more good than harm.
Like I said I will ask the kids tomorrow what they think but please stop moaning about a minor issue! The santas are vital to the SVR's operations and contribute financially to the extent that the railway would be much poorer without that contibution. Without the bread and butter customers there would be no galas and the like to keep you happy. I can see why you are upset, that is the enthusiast in you but you need to have a bit of understanding that the railway has to find a balance between pleasing the enthusiast part of it market well still attending to the requirements of it bread and butter passengers after all they contribute significantly to the revenue stream. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for them and the railway was run with the sole intention of pleasing just the enthusiast then I hate to say this there wouldn't be a railway!
michaelh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P Thornhill wrote:
michaelh wrote:
sharpo wrote:

I saw your post on nat pres "warning" about the tinsel - the way you made it sound it was like there was an entire decorated christmas tree on the front.
To answer the last part of your comment, no it isn't done to p**s people off, no offence but the railway isn't run so a few people can take photos and the santas are a big hit with the general public (and a good money spinner) and the general public like to see the railway making an effort, I bet in the general public's eyes the tinsel does more good than harm.
Like I said I will ask the kids tomorrow what they think but please stop moaning about a minor issue! The santas are vital to the SVR's operations and contribute financially to the extent that the railway would be much poorer without that contibution. Without the bread and butter customers there would be no galas and the like to keep you happy. I can see why you are upset, that is the enthusiast in you but you need to have a bit of understanding that the railway has to find a balance between pleasing the enthusiast part of it market well still attending to the requirements of it bread and butter passengers after all they contribute significantly to the revenue stream. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for them and the railway was run with the sole intention of pleasing just the enthusiast then I hate to say this there wouldn't be a railway!

I rather thought that there might be a reply like this - I'm not just a photographer - see my signature.

I also took a cheque with me to Bewdley today for the wheel drop appeal - but after seeing the locos "adorned" in this way to p**s off photographers - there has been comment on this in previous years it's nothing new as a deliberate wind up - I decided to take said cheque back home with me.
LMS2968

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
sharpo wrote:
michaelh wrote:

I wonder how many punters would have gone away disappointed if the smokeboxes had not been "adorned" with tinsel.

Not many, I'd have thought; the 'punters' in this case were the kids and parents on the train, mostly not enthusiasts, but there to partake of a little Christmas spirit. The tinsel helped that along, and in any case could possibly have been added by some loco crews in BR days for similar reasons. These trains are run three or four weekends per year specifically for this trade, and not for the benefit of enthusiasts or photographers; you have the other 48 weeks for that.

The tinsel is part of the deal; if you don't like it, stay away. But as for witholding a cheque for the wheeldrop appeal on the basis of a piece of tinsel, and while I don't normally indulge in personal jibes, the only word that comes to mind is 'childish'.
creese_m

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

I'm sorry re your attitude on the wheeldrop and holding back the cheque on the basis of some tinsel . A little bit childish and hardly in keeping with the season

Santa's are the high point in many photographers calendar with an unrivalled frequent service , heavy trains and the hope (if not promise of a cold clear crisp sunny day) and each years hundreds make the trip to the SVR , many using the Buffet's and shop and spending on the SVR. It's probably marginal income but remember it's money for nothing. Each year I've probaly spent 30-50

One of the arguments re the headboards was that the only people who really see them is the photographers . as a passenger you are ushered onto your carriage , travel to arley and alight without ever really seeing your engine . Only once run round at Arley could you see it but by then you are waiting to see santa or availing yourself of refreshments . Once aboard and back to Kidder then the platforms are cleared so the next lot of expectant passengers can aboard ( This was my experience last year).

My perception of Tinsel is that it looks cheap . A proper (albeit traditional style) headboard looks so much better , red backed I don't mind but it has a quality to it , tinsel inside carriages , now thats more like it

If tinsel persists and I hope we can all reach an understandin on this , the challenge will be to find a different vantage point where the decor isn't so noticeable

Latest photo updates on http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincreese/

Photo charter organiser for 20 years . Everyone welcome http://facebook.com/30742charters

My Blurb Bookstore http://www.blurb.com/user/store/Martincreese
bradleyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope that you reconsider & send in your cheque towards the wheeldrop Michael - certainly it will be appreciated AND it will help ensure that the steam fleet on the railway remains servicable in years to come.
Some volunteers have recently gone to considerable personal trouble travelling to Buckfastleigh at their own expense to help with the repair of 7802 because we currently do not (yet) have this facility on site.

I can though understand complaints re this whilst also understanding why it has been put on.

Out of interest this sort of decoration is not without precedent on the BR steam era railway - we have a fantastic photo of 7802 on the Cambrian Coast Express at Aber taken circa 1962 with a massive "Happy Christmas" decoration adorning the smokebox!!
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel drop might just ensure that we have enough active steam engines to run an all steam Santa service in December 2010....

Surely there are plenty of opportunities to take more "sideways" images rather than the usual three-quarters front ones?

The tinsel is small beer compared to what "Thomas" can throw up! I recall a few years ago at the Great Central the engines not only had a full smokebox "face", but also large and colourfull "nameplates" tied to the smokebox sides!!

I put the camera away, thinking that this really was one for the kids and not for me, and I really dont have a problem with that at all.

Santas are vital year-end revenue for the railway. May they be fully loaded, and the families enjoy their visit, and return next year and the years after Smile
akrabat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creese_m wrote:

One of the arguments re the headboards was that the only people who really see them is the photographers . as a passenger you are ushered onto your carriage , travel to arley and alight without ever really seeing your engine . Only once run round at Arley could you see it but by then you are waiting to see santa or availing yourself of refreshments . Once aboard and back to Kidder then the platforms are cleared so the next lot of expectant passengers can aboard ( This was my experience last year).

We went to see Santa today and whilst crossing the bridge at Arley, the kids stopped to look at the train standing in the other platform ready to depart.

By coincidence, it was 6695 and very fine it looked too, though today it had a headboard. Given that Micky Mouse and Tigger were up at that end of the platform, I'd say that a fair few people got to see the locos.

46443 had a cuddly toy in the cab window, which the kids also appreciated. I think that it's touches like this that make it feel that much more of a special trip.

Regards,

Rob...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: