SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thomas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbinnersley wrote:
A friend took her 3 & 6 year olds to to see Thomas and they had a wonderful time. The 3 year old is hooked on trains (not my doing) and was amazed to see the real Thomas.

These are the people who we need to operate the SVR when we are no longer able to. As in investment in the railway's future it is invaluable.

Peter.

Thomas is certainly attractive to young children - it does beg the question though whether engines with faces which talk make steam trains decidedly "un-cool" to older children and teenagers and deter them from involvement.
J-Green

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
Thomas is certainly attractive to young children - it does beg the question though whether engines with faces which talk make steam trains decidedly "un-cool" to older children and teenagers and deter them from involvement.

I think that steam trains unfortunately are "un-cool" as you so delightfully put it to a majority of the younger generation regardless of the presence of a face!

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Green wrote:
michaelh wrote:

I think that steam trains unfortunately are "un-cool" as you so delightfully put it to a majority of the younger generation regardless of the presence of a face!

Agreed - I was just questioning the suggestion that exposure to Thomas, turned children into future volunteers!
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
J-Green wrote:
michaelh wrote:
Agreed - I was just questioning the suggestion that exposure to Thomas, turned children into future volunteers!
but we need SOMETHING to make young people interested in the railway. No doubt the majority will not really be interested, but if something [maybe Thomas!] sparks an interest in enough of the minority, then hopefully there will be enough people to run the railway in future years!
michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
michaelh wrote:
J-Green wrote:
michaelh wrote:
but we need SOMETHING to make young people interested in the railway. No doubt the majority will not really be interested, but if something [maybe Thomas!] sparks an interest in enough of the minority, then hopefully there will be enough people to run the railway in future years!

Definitely - but better surely to strike that interest in the teenage years? Clearly Thomas won't do it then, but maybe engineering stuff might?
Lewis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
Definitely - but better surely to strike that interest in the teenage years? Clearly Thomas won't do it then, but maybe engineering stuff might?

I will be bringing my mates to the 1940's weekend with all of us dressed up! More events like this, with live music, dressing up etc, will attract a younger audience who wouldn't normally be interested in steam locomotives. Events like this and the introduction of a student ticket for travel would make more people my age visit too...money is our main worry!

Thanks,
Lewis

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Footplate Experience...realise a lifelong ambition
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we could have senior tickets become concessions and include students on production of a valid young persons railcard or a valid uni id.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
Perhaps we could have senior tickets become concessions and include students on production of a valid young persons railcard or a valid uni id.

Does the SVR offer "Work Experience" to 15/16yo's from local schools?

Schools are usually very keen to find places for their kids.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:

Does the SVR offer "Work Experience" to 15/16yo's from local schools?

Schools are usually very keen to find places for their kids.

I know a couple of people have done their work experience with Hugh McQuade in the carriage works at Kiddy.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
oliver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my friends have done work experience at BH MPD.
Stato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
Young people need to see the SVR as a COOL place to be. Wearing '40's stuff may be a start but you need to get celebs to be seen frquently on the railway and saying how cool it is to be here. Do that and the crowds may well follow.
Professional coffin dodger.
jwdg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stato wrote:
cherry_p wrote:
Young people need to see the SVR as a COOL place to be. Wearing '40's stuff may be a start but you need to get celebs to be seen frquently on the railway and saying how cool it is to be here. Do that and the crowds may well follow.

I suppose one question is to what extent it's worth trying to target "niche" events on the Railway to particular groups who otherwise might be less likely to use it and get enthused by it. And of course, some of the niche events may be unpopular with volunteers ot indeed with the general public. For example, a music festival somewhere along the line might attract one crowd but put off another. In other words, can we make the SVR a "destination" for groups other than rail enthusiasts (I'm not saying that it isn't that already to some extent as many people will just come for an enjoyable day out in the countryside)?

It's not just about getting people to travel on the railway though; it's to do with making them feel "part" of the railway (or feel they could be).
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stato wrote:
Young people need to see the SVR as a COOL place to be. Wearing '40's stuff may be a start but you need to get celebs to be seen frequently on the railway and saying how cool it is to be here. Do that and the crowds may well follow.
With luck, endorsements like the visit from an All Party Parliamentary Group, as mentioned elsewhere, help our credibility. No! I'm not suggesting our politicians are cool, in that sense, but their visit does nothing but good.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
StuFew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say that if it wasn't the the small blue one when I was younger, I don't think I would have the interest in railways that I have today. I'm sure I'm not alone in that. The Thomas the Tank Engine fans of today are the railway enthusiasts (and passengers, members and volunteers) of tomorrow.
In the long term I think Days Out with Thomas is a good investment for the railway.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://presnews.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/news-220412/

photos from the SVR Thomas Event showing D821

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: