SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another class 20 for the SVR
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Another class 20 for the SVR Reply with quote

Quote from Preserved Diesels website:
"20177 has moved the short distance from Tyseley to Kidderminster to join the owners two other locomotives already based at the SVR, these being 20059 and 20188."

So it sounds like there are now 3 class 20's based on the SVR now.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're breeding, honestly they are. In few months time we have dozens of them.
(Disinguages silly mode) Well, I did here a few mnoths back that there was to be a third on the line, but hadn't heard anything since.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
oliver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just looked this loco up on Preserved Diesels, its status is 'source of spares' so it sounds as if it will maybe provide spares for the other 2, and not be restored in its own right.
mrmover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meantime it takes up valuable siding space, presumably joining the corral of locos covered in tarpaulins that look so tatty and down at heel around the turntable while period coaching stock is dispatched to pastures new because of "a lack of space".

Diesel locos provide the motive power for a niche market, not the core business, and are rostered for less than 10% of all the diagrams. Why then are there as many diesels as steam locos on the line? Presumably good rents are being achieved for the stabling of all the non operational diesel locos, helping to pay for the maintenance of our period rolling stock.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
Meantime it takes up valuable siding space, presumably joining the corral of locos covered in tarpaulins that look so tatty and down at heel around the turntable while period coaching stock is dispatched to pastures new because of "a lack of space".

It should be note that at the moment the diesels are open to the elements, while the carriage sheds protect the coaching stock which is more important.
There does seem to be too many diesels for what they do but what can we do?

bradleyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
mrmover wrote:

It should be note that at the moment the diesels are open to the elements, while the carriage sheds protect the coaching stock which is more important.

1.Ask pertinent questions at the next AGM?
2.Write a carefully composed letter to the SVR News?
3.Ask Directors of the two SVR companies just what the railway's policy is towards the balance of numbers of steam/diesel locos accepted/to be accepted onto the line?
4.Ask how the current situation fits in with the (whisper it quietly) SVR Stategic Plan.
Hoovers-rock

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
... presumably joining the corral of locos covered in tarpaulins that look so tatty and down at heel around the turntable...

I believe there have been a large number of steam locomotives under tarpaulins in their time.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
KJEvans wrote:
mrmover wrote:

1.Ask pertinent questions at the next AGM?
2.Write a carefully composed letter to the SVR News?
3.Ask Directors of the two SVR companies just what the railway's policy is towards the balance of numbers of steam/diesel locos accepted/to be accepted onto the line?
4.Ask how the current situation fits in with the (whisper it quietly) SVR Stategic Plan.

Now we know where mentioning the SSP led us late time (a few days ago), the thread still going. At least when the covers are build, the view will be a bit better.
Turn table needs to be sorted out.

miniandi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the two 20's are running just as much as the steam loco's. You guys should be happy more money for the railway with all the rent etc. STOP MOANING.
bradleyman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniandi wrote:
I think the two 20's are running just as much as the steam loco's. You guys should be happy more money for the railway with all the rent etc. STOP MOANING.

rent?
mrmover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniandi wrote:
I think the two 20's are running just as much as the steam loco's.

I don't think they are running as much as the steam fleet. Yes they run engineering services and act as Thunderbirds and there are Diesel diagrams on some Saturdays, but do we need these AND the 50's AND the 37's AND the 52's AND the Hymek AND the Warship AND the 73's AND... oh you get my point!

I just hope that the rent being charged is sufficient.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Another class 20 for the SVR Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
Quote from Preserved Diesels website:
"20177 has moved the short distance from Tyseley to Kidderminster to join the owners two other locomotives already based at the SVR, these being 20059 and 20188."

So it sounds like there are now 3 class 20's based on the SVR now.

Mystic Meg said:

hearn_p 29/7/09 on 20 059 thread wrote:
According to http://www.preserved-diesels.co.uk/engines/index_20.htm 20059 is owned by Somerset and Dorset Loco Company, as is resident 8188 (20188).

Curiouser and curiouser...Somerset and Dorset Loco Company also own 20177 at TYS as a "source of spares"

Patrick

Patrick
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoovers-rock wrote:
I believe there have been a large number of steam locomotives under tarpaulins in their time.
Perhaps more importantly several were not under tarpaulins all the time they were in store!

bradleyman wrote:
miniandi wrote:

rent?

Rent? If only!
Is he on drugs?

Moving it as "source of spares" does have a rationale to it but nevertheless it still takes up valuable siding space and further contributes to "Joe Public's" opinion that many heritage railways are much like scrapyards.
If any sense has been applied in allowing its arrival I would expect the owners to be under a time limited obligation to remove all useful parts then immediately chop the rest. I think we can take the risk of not having a spare Class 20 chassis.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
miniandi wrote:
I think the two 20's are running just as much as the steam loco's.

I don't think they are running as much as the steam fleet. Yes they run engineering services and act as Thunderbirds and there are Diesel diagrams on some Saturdays, but do we need these AND the 50's AND the 37's AND the 52's AND the Hymek AND the Warship AND the 73's AND... oh you get my point!

I just hope that the rent being charged is sufficient.

I cannot believe that an unfortunate incident with the class 50 chucking out clag, descends into a steam v diesel debate.

The SVR is a preservation railway, and the many designs on first gen diesels are worthy of preserving as steam locos.
mrmover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made no comment on the discussion about the Class 50 exhaust fumes. This is a thread about another Class 20.

I see that there have been comments on the Private Forum suggesting that any discussions re steam v. diesel should not be posted on the Public Forum.

I make no apology for making my earlier comment on this thread, and like many others I can see a point in preserving some diesels and making use of them on the Valley - whether that be for infrastructure trains or a limited niche service for the diesel enthusiasts.

It is a fact that the preservation movement as whole is much more active that during the latter days of steam, and as such more and more diesel locos are being preserved. There are, I believe 36 Brush Type 4's preserved (Class 47) out of a total of 512 built. This is for a general purpose, go anywhere (well almost anywhere) loco. If that were extrapolated to the Black 5 there would be 60 of one of Sir William Stanier's finest in preservation. (If only!) And that's from a class that is still in front line service. Similarly there are 18 preserved 50's out of a class of 50. Can we have a similar proportion of other steam classes?

I am not decrying the desire of some to preserve examples of some of these locos - after all that is what the preservation movement is all about and it needs to be a broad church, catering for all enthusiasms. However, with the increase in the numbers of diesel locos comes a shortage of space to put them. The Valley hasn't got limitless siding space, or indeed the wherewithal to make more space and it has publicly stated that rolling stock reviews need to be undertaken, bearing in mind the usefulness of the item in question and how it fits in to the railway, it's running and the public perception.

When the SVR was first formed, back in 1965, some of the locos now resident hadn't even been built. The SVR has moved on, preservation has evolved and people's views have changed. It's unfortunate that the available space has not increased at the same pace. It should also be noted that the vast majority of our paying passengers want a steam loco at the front of their train. I make no apology for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: