SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR 2-8-0 3803 for sale?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: GWR 2-8-0 3803 for sale? Reply with quote

This has been spoken about on other threads thought maybe worth starting one on the subject.

If what someone said is true about if every member / shareholder put in 10 there would be enough to buy it & for the next overhaul. Why doesnt the company do some sort of appeal to buy it?

Send out leaflets to every member shareholder asking if they would be willing to put up at least 10 (because i could imagine some people may put up more) towards purchasing an operational loco for the severn valley. Sounds almost to good to be true.
hassell_a

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 3803 for sale? Reply with quote

Big T wrote:
This has been spoken about on other threads thought maybe worth starting one on the subject.

If what someone said is true about if every member / shareholder put in 10 there would be enough to buy it & for the next overhaul. Why doesnt the company do some sort of appeal to buy it?

Send out leaflets to every member shareholder asking if they would be willing to put up at least 10 (because i could imagine some people may put up more) towards purchasing an operational loco for the severn valley. Sounds almost to good to be true.

Much as though I'm a fan of 28xx's, if every member/shareholder gave 10, we could afford to overhaul at least 3 of our existing fleet that are out of ticket. The SVR isn't short of steam engines, just ones that work.... Smile

http://www.4930hagleyhall.org.uk

All Comments and Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of SVR (Holdings) PLC, SVR Company Limited, or SVR Charitable Trust.
bradleyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 3803 for sale? Reply with quote

Big T wrote:

From memory the SVR has around 12,500 members so the maths above just does'nt stack up and 30ish per member would be required just for the purchase. This is a useful sized loco though and may well now find a buyer at the new guide price.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12,500-ish members, and there are around just 200 members of the 82045 Trust. Even if they are all SVR members, thats around 6%.
That says something, doesn't it?
LMS2968

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
12,500-ish members, and there are around just 200 members of the 82045 Trust. Even if they are all SVR members, thats around 6%.

Yes, it says there are an awful lot of engines out there in need of funds, and each one can say that if 'everyone' were to donate just X number of pounds, that engine could be overhauled and back in service. But 'everyone' isn't going to donate X pounds to all of them, but only the ones that interest them, if at all. It probably isn't the one you support.

So back to Square One.
P Thornhill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 3803 for sale? Reply with quote

Big T wrote:

That was me!!! Unfortunately Looking at the post you are talking about I meant 100 and missed a 0 off when I typed it (I will now edit that post to make it clearer - Sorry to disappoint!

Last edited by P Thornhill on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
P Thornhill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:

Not really - I am not a member of the 82045 trust but I have donated far more than 10. At the end of the day 10 from each member is not really a large amount of money to ask for. If we were talking about the 100 I meant then I have donated more than that too but it does represent a larger sum however it might not be too much to ask and you don't need even a 50% take up to fund the purchase with still some left over towards the overhaul.

Also looking at other lines - They have actively pursued and purchased additional locos in a similae circumstance eg NYMR with 76079.

You cant deny that an additional loco would be useful at the moment and if an appeal was succesful it would mean that the railway wouldn't have to resort to hiring an additional loco for the peak service and there would be savings in hire fees so maybe there is a sound business case for such an idea.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P Thornhill wrote:
You cant deny that an additional loco would be useful at the moment and if an appeal was succesful it would mean that the railway wouldn't have to resort to hiring an additional loco for the peak service and there would be savings in hire fees so maybe there is a sound business case for such an idea.

Not an area in which I've much knowledge but I'm not so sure. At around 100 steamings a year for 4 years, against a 360,000 purchase price the numbers seem not to look so good compared with hire fees for a peak service?

The current shortfall is likely to be a couple of years with several engines in works (7714 [boiler], 1501, 82045, 34027, 2857, 6634, 813 and 4150).

What then after the four years? Store it awaiting a slot in the works - there are locos listed for works for some years afterwards? Sell it on without a ticket?

The railway I think works "one out one in" so I'm not sure they'd want it on more than a temporary basis?

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
brasso1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
The railway I think works "one out one in" so I'm not sure they'd want it on more than a temporary basis?

That was the idea but by my reckoning it hasn't worked like that for a while...
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitchford Hall, rumoured earlier to be a possible "peak season" visitor is off to the Great Central for most of the rest of the year, so thats one we wont be seeing this summer.

On the question of the NYMR purchasing 76079 from Mr Riley, I respectfully suggest that is a bad example to pick. There has been much disquiet amongst the membership many of whom felt that the money should have been better spent on overhauling something of their own in the queue. Also as a class 4 engine, it is somewhat underpowered for that line.

Maybe therefore the answer is to hire in if things get really tight, and meantime make some good decisions about what to admit to Bridgnorth works.

Greater minds will however be working on this.....

( No offence intended Mr Thornhill, but I was trying to make the point not about cash input, rather how few SVR members have even joined the 82045 trust. )

Last edited by Derby4 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lewis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Pitchford Hall, rumoured earlier to be a possible "peak season" visitor is off to the Great Central for most of the rest of the year, so thats one we wont be seeing this summer.

So what is the news on the visiting summer loco, if any?

Lewis

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Footplate Experience...realise a lifelong ambition
oliver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard was that it was going to be 3802 from Llangollen, however this seems to have gone quiet recently. I heard a few rumours of other possibilities but none of them were pitchford Hall. Confused
82045MS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:

Just to keep the record straight: The 82045 Locomotive Trust now has 270 members (and rising). They are not all from the SVR but certainly the majority are. Many of those members pay a modest monthly standing order which has, so far, together with a few large donations, got the project as far as it is at present. If enough people can be persuaded to give little and often the project will be completed in a relatively short time. After all, Tornado was built by this method and 82045 is modest by comparison.
Big T

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that 10 a member almost seemed to good to be true.
creese_m

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what out there is there to hire ?

4953 is now going to the GCR . 3803 is on hire to Toddington . 92214 has gone to the NYMR. Most railways need their fleets for peak season

How many weeks of 7 day a week running at peak season . A spate of loco failures , passengers may decide not to travel with modern traction , lost passenger revenue , not enough in the coffers to fund overhauls , the spiral begins

Latest photo updates on http://www.flickr.com/photos/martincreese/

Photo charter organiser for 20 years . Everyone welcome http://facebook.com/30742charters

My Blurb Bookstore http://www.blurb.com/user/store/Martincreese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: