SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BR Riddles 4MT 4-6-0 75069
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
std tank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Ian Walker has tweeted a picture of 75059's boilers out of the frames.

https://twitter.com/ianwalker34027/status/362926483636883456/photo/1

Patrick

Don't see the point in putting that link on. The twitter account can only be viewed by approved persons.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, I didn't realise it was protected

Patrick
Derby4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone can put the picture on the SVREngineeringSteam twitter feed, which is open to all to view. However that has been quiet since 25th July, so maybe someone is on holiday. Perhaps eventually the image will appear on the SVR Engineering website, but that only gets updated once a month at best now.
"Websites" appear to be "old hat" now. I find all this social (and apparently very "anti-social" at times...)media all very confusing.

Mercifully I dont feel the need to (and hope I never will..) spend my life "texting" tweeting" "facebooking" and the like, and walking around forever peering at a very small screen.

There has to be more to life, surely?

Rob
michaelh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Perhaps someone can put the picture on the SVREngineeringSteam twitter feed, which is open to all to view. However that has been quiet since 25th July, so maybe someone is on holiday. Perhaps eventually the image will appear on the SVR Engineering website, but that only gets updated once a month at best now.
"Websites" appear to be "old hat" now. I find all this social (and apparently very "anti-social" at times...)media all very confusing.

Mercifully I dont feel the need to (and hope I never will..) spend my life "texting" tweeting" "facebooking" and the like, and walking around forever peering at a very small screen.

There has to be more to life, surely?

Rob

It's yet another example of the SVR failing to have a joined up approach to the digital age. Wasn't SVRLive supposed to be the one place to go to for all things SVR?

The inclusion of the word live implies that it would be constantly updated
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
Wasn't SVRLive supposed to be the one place to go to for all things SVR?

No, I don't think so.

Quote:
SVRLive is a new site which will allow the Severn Valley Railway to communicate more effectively with people who are involved with the railway.

http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2310&highlight=svrlive

Patrick
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:

Rob

....and they might go the same way as fotopic????

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Lench_S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Derby4 wrote:

Rob

....and they might go the same way as fotopic????

Not with the money Facebook make!
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
Derby4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image (boiler out of frames) is also linked from the SVR official twitter site, and is still not viewable as such.
As mentioned above it does get a bit tedious looking at all the various options to find something. Much better if there was one place to go for news--updated frequently, and images, even if you are a "multi media/ multi tasker", as they mentioned on the BBC News yesterday. Youngsters nowadays are apparently very good at that.

My answer is one TV, an analogue radio, and----books, remember them? Wink

Rob
Simon G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Ian Walker not able to post on Twitter under SVREngineering as well as Duncan? If somebody wants to save a copy of the picture and E-Mail it me, I'll host and post here.
michaelh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
The image (boiler out of frames) is also linked from the SVR official twitter site, and is still not viewable as such.
As mentioned above it does get a bit tedious looking at all the various options to find something. Much better if there was one place to go for news--updated frequently, and images, even if you are a "multi media/ multi tasker", as they mentioned on the BBC News yesterday. Youngsters nowadays are apparently very good at that.

Rob

Like SVR Live?

Patrick Hearn will no doubt contradict me, but I associated Live with live up to date news
tg7812

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
Derby4 wrote:

Rob

Like SVR Live?

Patrick Hearn will no doubt contradict me, but I associated Live with live up to date news

I have to say I'm with Michael on this one!
Doune1965

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at SVRlive. on the newest things

There was a news update from the Holidings board dated the 2nd of August listing all sorts of activity and plans. The monthly updates were new and started with this site.

On the Traffic Notice page was the latest Traffic Notices, which never used to be public before this site.

Sure, looking at Bridgnorth loco news it is titled summer and you could say that it is not the latest most up to date news. Again though go back even 12 months this was not there. I am not saying things are perfect, however they have moved forwards a long way.
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Bridgnorth MPD" News on SVR Live is for May, and takes you up to the end of April (2013....), so not uptodate.

There needs, as others have rightly mentioned, to be one source for news which is kept uptodate. In the case of motive power, is it to be twitter, the SVR Engineering website, SVR Live, or indeed here on SVR-online?

As in other walks of life, we appear to suffer from "too many media options" now.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmaster - should this move to one of the website threads?

Without prolonging the O/T discussion too much, single site(s) for different markets would be a good thing to have, but:

- the railway needs to communicate with people in the way they want to be communicated to, which includes social media. It couldn't stop using Twitter, for example.

- different media will have different focus, this medium is aimed at the enthusiast and member, the Facebook Families page has a different audience.

- it's possible (and I think the railway should do so more) to link sites. Currently Twitter feeds into the Facebook site, for example. A side effect of that is that material aimed at one source may/will be fed to another, so that the Family material would feed into the enthusiast site and vice versa. Do you want daily feeds on the pirates on here?

- many of the 30 or so SVR-related sites might not feed in anyway

- anything which involves manual intervention (Pete Cherry, Tigger and me commonly cross post) requires someone to do it and - as you've seen - you don't get everything you want when you want it from volunteers! To do all what is being suggested would, I suggest, require paid activity.

- as far as SVRLive is concerned, I didn't understand it was set up to funnel all news from different sources in real time. IMO part of the above might be improved if the number of people able to post news on SVRLive was increased? It wouldn't solve all issues, but it would be an improvement.

I understand from the AGMs that a communication strategy is planned

Patrick
Simon G

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Ian Walker has tweeted a picture of 75059's boilers out of the frames.

https://twitter.com/ianwalker34027/status/362926483636883456/photo/1

Patrick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: