SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gresley teeks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pied Piper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: gresley teeks Reply with quote

no much banta on the forum

wot about the gresley coachs on goin walk about.
jt75069

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: gresley teeks Reply with quote

Pied Piper wrote:

Confused
jt75069

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: gresley teeks Reply with quote

Pied Piper wrote:

Nar seriously, 5 of them have got to the NYMR for the 'Gresley 100' 3 weeks gala. Thats why we've got a set of 5 Mk1's in choc/cream livery, which may I add looked very nice behind 7802 at the Shareholders weekend. They originally wanted to send the Gresleys up using the mainline behing No. 9, but the stock is all wooden, just look what happened with W22 for the Railcar gala. The insurance costs were through the roof, so they've been sent up one by one via low loader.

The more interesting question for me is that I heard that somethings up with No. 9 meaning that it couldn't get up to Grosmont, could someone expand on this for me?
hassell_a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 9's valve/piston repairs that have been going on over the winter at Bridgnorth weren't finished in time - presumably a bigger job than 1st thought.

I think one of the concerns about the Gresleys going to the NYMR by rail was that if, for example one of them ran hot and got dumped in the nearest siding (which may or may not have road access) it could be stuck there for weeks and there would obviously be a risk of vandalism. We wouldn't want them coming back having had a 'repaint'....

Adrian.
jt75069

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hassell_a wrote:
No 9's valve/piston repairs that have been going on over the winter at Bridgnorth weren't finished in time - presumably a bigger job than 1st thought.

I think one of the concerns about the Gresleys going to the NYMR by rail was that if, for example one of them ran hot and got dumped in the nearest siding (which may or may not have road access) it could be stuck there for weeks and there would obviously be a risk of vandalism. We wouldn't want them coming back having had a 'repaint'....

Adrian.

Thanks for letting me know, will it not be featuring at all in the Gresley 100 weekends?
hassell_a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass, I don't know - I've not been in the shed at Bridgnoth since April 4th - it was still very much under repair then.
jt75069

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hassell_a wrote:
Pass, I don't know - I've not been in the shed at Bridgnoth since April 4th - it was still very much under repair then.

I think it would be a shame if No. 9 didn't feature, the gala sounds brilliant and it deserves to be there really.
Diamond Gaz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gutted thats its not going! Was really looking forward to seeing it, still never mind il just have to come over to the SVR to see it instead! Very Happy

Got to say that your teak set, look the absolute muts nuts!

If anyone's interested theres some photos of last weekends event, and will all being well be some of this weekends event at:

http://nymrphotos.fotopic.net/
jt75069

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond Gaz wrote:
Im gutted thats its not going! Was really looking forward to seeing it, still never mind il just have to come over to the SVR to see it instead! Very Happy

Got to say that your teak set, look the absolute muts nuts!

If anyone's interested theres some photos of last weekends event, and will all being well be some of this weekends event at:

http://nymrphotos.fotopic.net/

Brill photos. As for coming down to see No. 9, i try to get down the SVR as often as I can and I only see No. 9 about 50% of the time, all of which have been on shed. I've seen her in action on the valley twice, the first was when she was comin back to B'north from the Mid Hants mainline tour run, and the second time she was being towed by 7802 and the Gresley set. Ive seen her on the mainline though.
hunter_i

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: grsley teeks Reply with quote

Speaking of teaks, does anyone know the restoration progress (or otherwise) of Kitchen Composite 7960? I have never seen a restoration report. Is there a problem with it being privately owned?

Thanks
Scott Cooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame the NYMR didn't pair any LNER locos on the LNER teaks!

I know the SVR usually pair the teaks with the diesel Crying or Very sad and 7802 usually hauls them when I've been in the past.
heap_r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (on the SVR) don't really 'pair' locos to stock (except on gala weekends, when we try our best). It just so happens that various stock is allocated with various locos more frequently than others. Reasons for this can depend on size of loco and size of set (i.e. 8 coaches), or even departure times (i.e. 1030 Kidder is usually the most popular train, therefore it needs a high-capacity set with a wheelchair saloon (Sets C or N) and therefore a large loco).
jt75069

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heap_r wrote:
We (on the SVR) don't really 'pair' locos to stock (except on gala weekends, when we try our best). It just so happens that various stock is allocated with various locos more frequently than others. Reasons for this can depend on size of loco and size of set (i.e. 8 coaches), or even departure times (i.e. 1030 Kidder is usually the most popular train, therefore it needs a high-capacity set with a wheelchair saloon (Sets C or N) and therefore a large loco).

Doesn't it also depend on the couplings. I'm no expert, but I know that some coupling combinations dont really go together well. Like, I mean older GW stuff wouldn't be paired with new MK1 couplings, would it? Confused
David Ward

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all our locos are compatible, just some are a little more awkward I've heard with the vacuum pipe positionings when coupling up. Last summer when working as cleaner at Bridgnorth I remember 7714 was working wit the teaks most of the time, as 7714 is limited to 6 and the Gresleys are the highest capacity coaches. But most of the time, like Mr Heap points out, its the luck of the draw which stock is paired with which loco, except at galas!
hassell_a

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loco's are all compatible, but jt75069 is right about that some coach combinations are not preferred, although I seem to recall that the SVR may have done some modifications to ganyways, etc to ease this - Mr Heap may be the forum expert on this...

Of course the aim is to have uniform rakes of coaches (eg all GW etc) as far as possible, but that can't always be achieved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: