SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR 0-6-0PT 5764
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt75069

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: GWR 0-6-0PT 5764 Reply with quote

Hi all. Last Saturday (Shareholders weekend), I went for a ride on the SVR, however I noticed that 5764 was in some difficulty. The blower was coonstantly being used and it had difficulty pulling out of Sterns. At one point, I thought we might have a brief stop at Eardington because we were going that slow. I heard that its ash pan fell off during the Spring Gala and I just wondered if anyone knew exactly what was going on with 5764, because it didn't sound good at all? Thanks for any replies in advance.
hassell_a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know about last Sunday, but the ashpan didn't fall off during the spring gala. The day after having a had a broken spring replaced, part of the ashpan was suspected of clouting a bolt protruding from the road underbrigde at Hampton Loade, so the engine was taken out of traffic for checks. I beleive it was subsequently found to OK clearance-wise.

Adrian.
jt75069

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hassell_a wrote:
Hi,

I don't know about last Sunday, but the ashpan didn't fall off during the spring gala. The day after having a had a broken spring replaced, part of the ashpan was suspected of clouting a bolt protruding from the road underbrigde at Hampton Loade, so the engine was taken out of traffic for checks. I beleive it was subsequently found to OK clearance-wise.

Adrian.

Sorry for getting that wrong, I was just saying what I heard thats all. Is it having a spare boiler fitted or something because i notice that its due to go out the same time as 7714, but then theres like an extension arrow in a recent SVR news that takes it to 2013?
hassell_a

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, it would make sense because the spare boiler can be worked on before 5764 comes out of traffic, speeding up it's turn round. The spare boiler is in fact the one that was on 5764 until 1998, the one it's running with now is the one from 3612 (RIP)

Adrian.
BAINO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5764 was suffering lack of coal.
apparently the bunker was nearly empty.
i dunno what Mr Hasstle thinks but i'm not a big fan of this coal, the high ash content means smaller engines struggle to perform once the build up of ash has started.
hassell_a

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hasstle thinks that if you spend a minute or two running the bar through it each time at Kidder and Bridgnorth, it knocks enough of the ash through the fire bars to prevent a build up. I would add that I learned this the hard way - having had a fire in 1638 nearly up to the brick arch - amazingly it was still steaming well!

Adrian.
BAINO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i agree. but this goes against what we were taught about fire iron use causing clinker.
and (a what if situation) would you do if your running late and you had no time before depparture to clean your fire.
do you find your shovelling more to satify demand as this coal seems to be less effective than the previous stuff
hassell_a

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, I agree about not using the fire irons to stir the fire up, but because there is next to no clinker formed by this coal, you can get away with it without making a 'pudding' of the fire. You do also end up with a good smokebox full at the end of the day. I've not noticed if you end up shovelling more, because I've not done that much firing yet this year so haven't got much to compare it with, I keep ending up being asked to get rid of my firing turns so I can do someone else's driving turn... By the way if there any lurking SVR firemen who could cover Sat 7th May off Bewdley for me on here - that would a great help, as I'm currently booked on 2 engines at once!
I you're late you've had it I suppose, unless I was your driver and then I'd probably have a go at it while you were hooking on...!
BAINO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant do that turn i'm on at Highley that day.
hassell_a

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers anyway, I saw your name there, so I didn't ask. Anyway, it's covered now.

Adrian.
oliver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the SVR news page, the locomotive status says 5764 is due into the Engine House shortly. Is this right, or does it mean 7714?
hackes1984

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
On the SVR news page, the locomotive status says 5764 is due into the Engine House shortly. Is this right, or does it mean 7714?

I think they mean 7714
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackes1984 wrote:
oliver wrote:

I think they mean 7714

7714 first, to be replaced by 5764 when she comes out of ticket. The spare boiler is destined for 7714
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Walton mentioned 5764 had suffered from a boiler problem and that it was due to stand down in 2010, from which I inferred it was withdrawn from traffic pending overhaul.

Malcom Yates' loco notes say it's not available for service due to boiler repairs. Is it being repaired for further use in 2010 please?

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Patrick
oliver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it should be running again next year, and is currently in the boiler shop having the repairs done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: