SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR 2-6-2T 4566
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: GWR 2-6-2T 4566 Reply with quote

Hi _ can anyone tell me which way 4566 is facing, please?
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 4566 Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:

Facing Bridgnorth when I saw it today.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 4566 Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
michaelh wrote:

Facing Bridgnorth when I saw it today.

Thanks
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4566 - Small Prairie Tank, Ex GWR... had Christmas week off for washout, boiler exam and mechanical repairs. With the help of the volunteers over Christmas period 4566 has had her centre driving wheelset removed 3 January to repair the main frames (SVR Twitter and Facebook, 3 January).

Patrick
Buffer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
4566 - Small Prairie Tank, Ex GWR... had Christmas week off for washout, boiler exam and mechanical repairs. With the help of the volunteers over Christmas period 4566 has had her centre driving wheelset removed 3 January to repair the main frames (SVR Twitter and Facebook, 3 January).

Patrick

Hope the frame problem is not a serious one: she is nearly ninety years old. Is not another member of the class, No. 4561, being rebuilt with new frames?
J-Green

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that too - the example on the WSR. Is this the first instance of a loco having its frames replaced in preservation? (Excepting new-builds, of course).

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
madderlake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These small pairies have too much cylinder for their own good, and if used to capacity, will knock themselves out. This time the problem is with movement developing in the driving axle horn guides. So far, one of the four castings has been removed. There is fretting damage to the mating surfaces on the frame and cracking round the bolt holes which is being painstakingly ground out and built up with weld. Meawhile the casting has also been built up (or looks as though it has, I didn't ask) and remachined, and new fitted bolts are being turned. It now looks likely that all four 'corners' will need the same treatment.
Buffer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madderlake wrote:
These small pairies have too much cylinder for their own good, and if used to capacity, will knock themselves out. This time the problem is with movement developing in the driving axle horn guides. So far, one of the four castings has been removed. There is fretting damage to the mating surfaces on the frame and cracking round the bolt holes which is being painstakingly ground out and built up with weld. Meawhile the casting has also been built up (or looks as though it has, I didn't ask) and remachined, and new fitted bolts are being turned. It now looks likely that all four 'corners' will need the same treatment.

How many times can this kind of repair be done before it is decided that frame replacement is the most cost-effective option? In my opinion, there are locos that have had serious frame cracking in the past and indifferent welding repairs that would be better off with new frames. I am not suggesting that No. 4566 has reached this stage but when an engine is undergoing a major rebuild or restoration, bearing in mind the considerable costs nowadays, would frame renewal be too expensive an option?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per SVR website, 4566 is not available for use due to spring replacement.

IIRC she had 3(?) broken springs last year as well?

Patrick
oliver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes it must have been at least 3. But then what do you expect, it's 4566 Rolling Eyes
Medium/large sized loco's are probably more economical in the long run because they need less repairs because they don't wear themselves out every time they run (or it appears that way anyway). Is it really a coincidence that the most reliable loco, and the one having done the most miles, on the SVR is 48773 Question
Buffer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
Quote:

Yes it must have been at least 3. But then what do you expect, it's 4566 Rolling Eyes
Medium/large sized loco's are probably more economical in the long run because they need less repairs because they don't wear themselves out every time they run (or it appears that way anyway). Is it really a coincidence that the most reliable loco, and the one having done the most miles, on the SVR is 48773 Question

For a given duty, it is obvious that a small engine is going to work harder than a large or medium one but it cannot be deduced that the smaller engine is less economical because of that. Do we know the relative cost of a major overhaul and long-term running costs for 4566 and 48773?
What is strange is that 4566 has broken so many springs as it would not be expected that a small engine is any more prone to spring failure than a larger one.
burnettsj

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is she always breaking the same one - or is she gradually working her way through the set?
Clarke_T

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the fireman on Thursday when her spring ejected itself into the 4ft, fault in the spring itself, not with the loco.
Just about scraped myself off the inside of the cab roof, went off with a Hell of a bang!
bradleyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
Quote:

Hardly an appropriate comparison when 48773 was delivered to the SVR straight from BR service in 1968, whilst most of the current SVR fleet then had another 5 to 10 years to remain in Woodhams yard + several years restoration before turning a wheel in service!
oliver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hardly an appropriate comparison when 48773 was delivered to the SVR straight from BR service in 1968, whilst most of the current SVR fleet then had another 5 to 10 years to remain in Woodhams yard + several years restoration before turning a wheel in service!

Fair point, but 48773 was still far more reliable in my opinion - it was ALWAYS running when I first started visiting SVR around 2004. I used 48773 as an example, and the same could probably be argued for 45110, 7802 42968 - all with high mileages and proved to be very reliable in service.
Anyway, to be fair to 4566, from what has been said above it seems it is not the loco's fault this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: