SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring Gala 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy2857

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
Quote:
the lads in the support crew said they have a provisional LE date of 9th April (easter monday)

Guess it depends what time the move is booked for as to whether it operates on the monday then. But Easter sunday requires 5 steam loco's in use so I suppose it would be useful on that day.
Pure speculation as to whether it will get used at all ofcourse....

Well exactly, we're all just guessing here, and even the LE date was only a provisional (I got the impression that 4464's crew didn't really fancy a trip to Chesterfield on easter monday!).

Whilst we're speculating, does anyone know if we're going to get to use 828 again before it heads off to llangollen?
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where did you hear that from Robert? I would be very surprised if it ran during Thomas since, apart from it being very hard to attach a face to an A4 (I have never seen one!), there would be few enthusiasts willing to attend a Thomas event.
And I wonder if it is just a coincidence that set N is rostered to be running off Bridgnorth during Easter...?

Back when we had Union Of South Africa, I'm sure that we fitted a face on that! Sharpo might have some photos of it back when it did run on a Thomas Weekend or it might be elsewhere...

Just forund this on http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/60019_Bittern.html:

Once again in authentic British Railways lined green livery, "Bittern" hauled her first service train at 1300 on 7 July 2007 - taking the Mid Hant's rake of dining coaches from Alresford to Altonduring the Watercress Line's 'End of Southern Steam Gala'.

Since then 60019 has been 'run in' and has been used on normal services, Santa specials and on the 21, 22 and 23 March 2008 ran as 'Spencer' from the Thomas The Tank Engine stories during the Watercress Line's 'Day out with Thomas.'
Andy2857

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't really make it any more likely that we will use the A4 on Thomas though. I don't know what the MHR's agreement with Mr Hosking was but if we want to use it we'll have to pay a steaming fee. Using the A4 on Thomas isn't going to recoup that additional cost because quite frankly the majority of families won't care whats on the front as long as it has a face and is belching steam and smoke.

However, using it over easter weekend is more likely to provide an additional boost to revenue as enthusiasts are more likely to come down to see it on the teaks. Can't see many enthusiasts coming to see it with a face on. For the railway to use it they have to be convinced that it is economically worth it, and I'm going to leave it to better minds than mine to work out whether it is or not.

EDIT: Starting to think the discussion has deviated a little now and should perhaps be moved to the Thomas thread? Sorry mods!
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, using it over easter weekend is more likely to provide an additional boost to revenue as enthusiasts are more likely to come down to see it on the teaks. Can't see many enthusiasts coming to see it with a face on. For the railway to use it they have to be convinced that it is economically worth it, and I'm going to leave it to better minds than mine to work out whether it is or not.

What if they swap set N over with another set?
Andy2857

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert wrote:

What if they swap set N over with another set?

I'm not really sure what you're asking? Can I point out right now that we have no reason to believe that Bittern is available for service to us at all.

If it is, the from a marketing point of view it makes sense for the loco to run with appropriate stock. At the moment, both loco and stock are in the right location to run together. If there was to be a stock swap next weekend or during the week, and if the A4 were to be rostered for use over the weekend that we have mentioned, then I would expect it to still run with that set (either running off Bewdley or via LE moves from Bridgo)
sharpo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
Sharpo might have some photos of it back when it did run on a Thomas Weekend or it might be elsewhere...

Sorry, can't help on that one.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
rusty nuts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little later than planned, here's my footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ceHIl_E_A

I can only echo the comments of other contributors and say a big thank you to all who helped make this excellent gala possible

If I may ask one question about the September event -- can you employ the same weather provider Laughing
KJEvans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:
matt wrote:
Nice photos Lewis, I presume you were the chap on the bike at the "hump" at Hampton Loade

I was yes...as soon as I left 'The Hump', I too, like my Gran, got a flat tyre...oh the joys of cycling!

A long shot, But was it you at Northwood Halt catching the local on sunday morning?

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Lewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
Lewis wrote:
matt wrote:
Nice photos Lewis, I presume you were the chap on the bike at the "hump" at Hampton Loade

I was yes...as soon as I left 'The Hump', I too, like my Gran, got a flat tyre...oh the joys of cycling!

A long shot, But was it you at Northwood Halt catching the local on sunday morning?

It was yes, me and my Gran with our bikes and flat tyres! Shall I take a guess, and guess you were the guy whom I purchased our tickets off?

Thanks,
Lewis

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Footplate Experience...realise a lifelong ambition
KJEvans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis wrote:

It was yes, me and my Gran with our bikes and flat tyres! Shall I take a guess, and guess you were the guy whom I purchased our tickets off?

TTI actually, but yes it was me.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Lewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
Lewis wrote:

TTI actually, but yes it was me.

Well it's good to put a name to a face! Can't thank you enough for your help on Sunday, hope you enjoyed your day as much as we did...despite the flat tyres!

Thanks,
Lewis

Lewis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new blog with an entry from the SVR's Spring Gala, part 1 of 4:

http://lewismaddoxphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/severn-valley-railway-spring-gala-2012.html

Thanks,
Lewis

Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have any provisional passenger numbers for the Spring Gala, or to put it another way, was it a financial success?

Just curious.

Rob
Dampfer3737

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: SVR Steam Spring Gala Reply with quote

Hello,
Living in the Netherlands itís more easy for me to travel to Germany to participate Plandampf and Photo Charter Events. Thatís why I hadnít visited a line in Engeland before. Last year my wife and I were on Holyday in Shropshire and of course we had to visit the Severn valley Railway. On the station of Highley we met a volunteer who persuade me Wink), as being a steam enthusiasm, to visit the Autumn Steam Gala in September 2011, which I did. I became a member and bought a Lineside Permit. The Autumn Gala was wonderful, great engines and beautiful scenery. It tasted to more and therefore I travelled again to the Severn Valley Railway to attend the Spring Steam Gala 2012. Again, with much pleasure. Not only because of the scenery, the good weather conditions and steam trains, but also the nice photographers along the line which I spoke to.
Here is one picture I took on this Gala. More you can see on my website:
www.janhelffer.nl under menu Trein Engeland.

With Kind Regards from the Netherlands
Danny252

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see we're gaining a few happy foreign members!

(I wonder if it may have been me you met at Highley - did you come up to the signalbox one morning?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: