SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fares thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherry_p

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
http://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=557

Quote:
Annual Family Pass.....175.00

I haven't seen a 'renewals' price
Renewals will be at the same price.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info, Bristol Zoo is 17 (15 concessions) but 15% off for booking ahead and without the SVR's 1.75 booking fee.

One and a concession is 27.20 in advance, a saving of 4.80 on the turn up price.

SVR equivalent 'pre-booking' is 36.25, a saving of 75 pence on the turn up price.

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
mrmover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discounts for pre book tickets need looking at.

Pre book 7 or more days in advance means that the money is in the Railway's bank that number of days early. OK, its not earning any interest, but it is significantly aiding cashflow and offsetting interest charges on the working overdraft.

Remember, once the ticket has been sold it gives a solid incentive to travel, and not stay at home if the weather looks dodgy. If the tickets are non transferable, the Railway gets the sale, regardless of whether the customer travels or not.

I think Bristol Zoo's policy is about right. 15% discount for booking 7 days or more in advance, and for pity's sake forget the stupid booking fee. To my mind it smacks of Ryanair sharp practice where you pay extra for everything. Next thing we'll be putting in a premium rate telephone line!
cherry_p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrmover wrote:
The discounts for pre book tickets need looking at.

Pre book 7 or more days in advance means that the money is in the Railway's bank that number of days early. OK, its not earning any interest, but it is significantly aiding cashflow and offsetting interest charges on the working overdraft.

Remember, once the ticket has been sold it gives a solid incentive to travel, and not stay at home if the weather looks dodgy. If the tickets are non transferable, the Railway gets the sale, regardless of whether the customer travels or not.

I think Bristol Zoo's policy is about right. 15% discount for booking 7 days or more in advance, and for pity's sake forget the stupid booking fee. To my mind it smacks of Ryanair sharp practice where you pay extra for everything. Next thing we'll be putting in a premium rate telephone line!
I've no problem at all about there being a booking fee -- but it needs to reflect how much it costs the paid staff to do the transaction. 1 would be enough. And 10% discount works ok -- problem is that the Commercial Manager sneaked in some changes that everyone in Marketing thinks are crazy, such that the discount on some fares is much less then 10%. I made sure when I calculated the pre-book discounts for Special Events that we did use 10%, but we've unfortunately still got the 1.75 add-on.
The philosophy of having pre-book discounts is exactly as you describe it -- they're then more-or-less committed to making the visit.
One problem with any form of discount [e.g. pre-book or Annual Passes] is that some people look on it as lost income, which is totally the wrong viewpoint! Better to have [say] 18 for certain than a lower chance of getting the full 20 when it rains!
mrmover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree your last point, Pete, it's like having birds in the hand or in the bush.

I'm not convinced about the booking fee, though. A stamp and an envelope is the total of the marginal cost, but when airlines and concert venues start charging 5 or more, it is clearly profiteering. When we charge, even 1.75, that is still profiteering. Extra charges for credit cards are bad enough, but I don't like booking fees.

Rant over!
Simon G

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the booking fee is applied to all online purchases, why not just include it in the original ticket price?
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does part of the booking fee go towards the cost of posting the pre-booked tickets to the customer?

Should we look at an option to print off your own ticket bought on-line to save postage?
cherry_p

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin wrote:
Does part of the booking fee go towards the cost of posting the pre-booked tickets to the customer?

Should we look at an option to print off your own ticket bought on-line to save postage?

yes - covers cost of handling the transaction and postage; this is a fixed cost no matter how many tickets are bought

The problem with a print-your-own ticket is that you would need a barcode sytem [or similar] so that it could be read and cancelled within the system when used. Otherwise they could print and use the ticket multiple times. Would involve a substantial cost to set this up - it has been thought of, but wouldn't pay for itself; has been thought of for Christmas Santa tickets [more self-contained, but still need investment in a checking system], but in any case we usually like to send out other literature with these tickets.
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:

yes - covers cost of handling the transaction and postage; this is a fixed cost no matter how many tickets are bought

The problem with a print-your-own ticket is that you would need a barcode sytem [or similar] so that it could be read and cancelled within the system when used. Otherwise they could print and use the ticket multiple times. Would involve a substantial cost to set this up - it has been thought of, but wouldn't pay for itself; has been thought of for Christmas Santa tickets [more self-contained, but still need investment in a checking system], but in any case we usually like to send out other literature with these tickets.

Thanks Pete.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points that a friend noticed when he visited the Swanage this past weekend (their spring gala):
The discount for online tickets was 20% (20 rather than 25)
No booking fee
And the pre-book tickets could be brought up to 2230 the day before.

Lets be honest: looking ahead a pre-book 1940s one day rover is 23.80 down from 26.50 on the day. With a booking fee of 1.75 added in, a passenger is only saving 95p by booking in advance which is barely worth it tbf.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need convincing that the booking fee is a bad idea, look out the window this morning.
How many visitors is this snow going to cost the railway?

Quote:
...we usually like to send out other literature with these tickets

Literature that would still cost money to distribute, even in a less well targeted manner.
Robin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the Swindon and Cricklade Railway today, where I was given some vouchers for a 2 discount at six Thames Valley Railways (Didcot, Swindon & Cricklade, Cholsey and Wallingford, Chinnor & Princes Risborough, Steam Swindon and Pendon Museum). Any thoughts on the SVR doing a similar reciprocal arrangement?
ManorFan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
A few points that a friend noticed when he visited the Swanage this past weekend (their spring gala):
The discount for online tickets was 20% (20 rather than 25)
No booking fee
And the pre-book tickets could be brought up to 2230 the day before.

Lets be honest: looking ahead a pre-book 1940s one day rover is 23.80 down from 26.50 on the day. With a booking fee of 1.75 added in, a passenger is only saving 95p by booking in advance which is barely worth it tbf.

As was said over on WNXX, reference the diesel gala:

Quote:
Quote:
Tickets will definitely be available on the day, so no need to book in advance then over t'internet?

No incentive to book in advance either.

20.70 advance fare, plus 1.75 booking fee = 22.45.
On the day fare = 23.00

With the above in mind, the only advantage to booking in advance is to avoid ticket office queues. I'm sorry, but the supposed "savings" are so marginal that they're bascially insignificant. Frankly, it stinks of the same marketing strategy that has various retail outlets advertise an item sold at 99.99 as being "under one hundred pounds".
Evil or Very Mad

mrmover wrote:

What a crying shame that the SVR don't follow the Gloucs-Wark's example, whereby (other than the three-day ticket) the ticket for the event is 'open-dated'. I attended their July diesel gala last year. I had intended to visit on the Friday, but the weather on that day turned out to be absolutely abysmal; thankfully, said 'open day' ticket meant that I didn't feel that I 'had' to travel on that day just for the sake of not wasting a ticket/money. Kept the ticket, and used it the following day instead, when the weather had much improved. Brilliant.
Little things like this make ALL the difference; In fact I was sufficently impressed by this, and various other aspects of it, that I returned for their second diesel gala of the year in October.
Divington_R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the price comparison with the nearby Black Country Musuem. Family day ticket is 41.00 and then you can come back again and again free for the rest of the year. Its a pretty good deal for a family that is strapped for cash and trying to take the kids out somewhere.

I'll wager their visitor numbers will be very good this year.

Regards
Reg.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManorFan wrote:
What a crying shame that the SVR don't follow the Gloucs-Wark's example, whereby (other than the three-day ticket) the ticket for the event is 'open-dated'. I attended their July diesel gala last year. I had intended to visit on the Friday, but the weather on that day turned out to be absolutely abysmal; thankfully, said 'open day' ticket meant that I didn't feel that I 'had' to travel on that day just for the sake of not wasting a ticket/money. Kept the ticket, and used it the following day instead, when the weather had much improved. Brilliant.
Little things like this make ALL the difference; In fact I was sufficently impressed by this, and various other aspects of it, that I returned for their second diesel gala of the year in October.

Of course, were the weather to be poor for two days of a three day event the downside could be stations and trains overwhelmed with visitors on the last day.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: