SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fares thread: 2011 onwards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJEvans

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from a few discussions I've had with other staff and passengers over the weekend, there seems to be a fair bit of interest in having season tickets.
A possible price breakdown would be something like: 90 for an adult and 70 for children with the respectively members rates as 75 or 80 and 55 or 60.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
ManorFan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boldford wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
What a crying shame that the SVR don't follow the Gloucs-Wark's example, whereby (other than the three-day ticket) the ticket for the event is 'open-dated'. I attended their July diesel gala last year. I had intended to visit on the Friday, but the weather on that day turned out to be absolutely abysmal; thankfully, said 'open day' ticket meant that I didn't feel that I 'had' to travel on that day just for the sake of not wasting a ticket/money. Kept the ticket, and used it the following day instead, when the weather had much improved. Brilliant.
Little things like this make ALL the difference; In fact I was sufficently impressed by this, and various other aspects of it, that I returned for their second diesel gala of the year in October.

Of course, were the weather to be poor for two days of a three day event the downside could be stations and trains overwhelmed with visitors on the last day.

True - but the positives outweigh the negatives in my opinion, and it shows a degree of consideration toward the customer that is currently lacking.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManorFan wrote:
boldford wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
What a crying shame that the SVR don't follow the Gloucs-Wark's example, whereby (other than the three-day ticket) the ticket for the event is 'open-dated'. I attended their July diesel gala last year. I had intended to visit on the Friday, but the weather on that day turned out to be absolutely abysmal; thankfully, said 'open day' ticket meant that I didn't feel that I 'had' to travel on that day just for the sake of not wasting a ticket/money. Kept the ticket, and used it the following day instead, when the weather had much improved. Brilliant.
Little things like this make ALL the difference; In fact I was sufficently impressed by this, and various other aspects of it, that I returned for their second diesel gala of the year in October.

Of course, were the weather to be poor for two days of a three day event the downside could be stations and trains overwhelmed with visitors on the last day.

True - but the positives outweigh the negatives in my opinion, and it shows a degree of consideration toward the customer that is currently lacking.
sorry - don't agree; if you go for something with a discount, there nearly always have to be some restrictions, and it deliberately ties you in to a particular day. We still need to try to fill the trains even if the weather's poor, and this discount is one way towards doing this.
ManorFan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
boldford wrote:
ManorFan wrote:

sorry - don't agree; if you go for something with a discount, there nearly always have to be some restrictions, and it deliberately ties you in to a particular day. We still need to try to fill the trains even if the weather's poor, and this discount is one way towards doing this.

What discount is that? As discussed a few posts back, the 'discount' is so small that it is basically irrelevant.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManorFan wrote:
cherry_p wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
boldford wrote:
ManorFan wrote:

What discount is that? As discussed a few posts back, the 'discount' is so small that it is basically irrelevant.

All tickets for the Diesel Gala [and all other premium-fare Special Events] have a 10% discount for pre-book. What eats into this is the Booking Fee. I think there should be a booking fee, but that 1.75 is too high. The problem in convincing management that it should be reduced is that pre-book sales this year are surprisigly high, suggesting that some people don't mind the present situation, even though in many cases they end up with little saving. I don't understand it either, but this is what's happening!
KJEvans

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
cherry_p wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
boldford wrote:
ManorFan wrote:

All tickets for the Diesel Gala [and all other premium-fare Special Events] have a 10% discount for pre-book. What eats into this is the Booking Fee. I think there should be a booking fee, but that 1.75 is too high. The problem in convincing management that it should be reduced is that pre-book sales this year are surprisigly high, suggesting that some people don't mind the present situation, even though in many cases they end up with little saving. I don't understand it either, but this is what's happening!

But in what number are they being booked each time? For one person, it isn't worth it, but for 5 or 6 then it is as the 1.75 is shared around.
In my experience from TTI-ing, most internet tickets (on normal days) are in groups where the saving are higher.

std tank

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
cherry_p wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
boldford wrote:
ManorFan wrote:

Quite a simple answer. They do not want to queue for tickets.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a certain section of the public are used to Peppa Pig and Santa and, for them, booking ahead is normal. It's a FAQ - "do I have to book ahead?"

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Danny252

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std tank wrote:

Are long ticket queues (i.e. more than two or three people/groups) a regular problem? As I never travel from Kidderminster, I don't know the situation there!
KJEvans

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
std tank wrote:

Are long ticket queues (i.e. more than two or three people/groups) a regular problem? As I never travel from Kidderminster, I don't know the situation there!

They can be, it's usually the Saturday of a gala/special event and after a train has arrived on the mainline.

Divington_R

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
std tank wrote:

On gala day mornings I have seen the queue well outside the front door.

Regards
Reg.
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for advice please. Can I buy an inclusive ticket from Nuneaton station through to Arley on the SVR? If this is so what is the price of the ticket?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Reg

You can purchase through tickets from your local station or Travel Centre which include travel on the SVR by asking for 'Bridgnorth SVR' as your destination. Details are here

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/prbbce21c35ce741015e3449da347e55.aspx

It has the normal 'Freedom of the Line' validity including entrance to the Engine House at HY, if you wanted to get that far

Nuneaton is managed by London Midland http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/NUN/details.html

There is no intermediate National Rail add on fare to Arley. As the National Rail full-line add on is 15 and the SVR's adult KR-AY return fare is 13.50 http://www.svr.co.uk/Fares.aspx there is very little difference in price. It saves you queuing at KR and gives you the chance of going up the line if the fancy takes you.

Hope this helps

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Divington_R

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Patrick, thank you for this most useful reply.

I have spotted one possible problem? The main train company to get me to Birmingham from Nuneaton I believe is Cross Country (and not London Midland who are listed as offering the through ticket).

Any thoughts?
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying your tickets
Available from any staffed London Midland station. Also available on the train when joining from an unmanned station. A separate add on ticket can be be purchased from any train operator.

On the nationalrail site mentioned in an earlier post, it states the above, so any train operator should sell the add on, but as mentioned Nuneaton is managed by London Midland.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: