SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SR 4-6-2 34053 Sir Keith Park
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: SR 4-6-2 34053 Sir Keith Park Reply with quote

From Twitter --- SVR official ‏ @svrofficialsite

34053 Sir Keith Park will be joining the SVR Fleet in 2012!
The Southern Loco's Ltd engine will be arriving shortly...

https://twitter.com/svrofficialsite/status/176689192586326017/photo/1
Clarke_T

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....!
mrmover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what with Taw Valley coming towards the end of her overhaul, maybe it's time to reconnect George's Siding so that we have a rake of carriages roughly the right colour. Wink
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also from http://www.svr.co.uk/News.aspx

Severn Valley Railway welcomes 'Battle of Britain' ace!

We are very pleased to announce that agreement in principle has been reached with Southern Locomotives Ltd for the loan of ‘Battle of Britain’ locomotive No. 34053, Sir Keith Park.

This locomotive is now in the final stages of its restoration at Herston in Dorset and will operate on the Severn Valley Railway for the first time in railway preservation following its withdrawal from mainline use in 1965 .

We expect ‘Sir Keith’ to arrive at the SVR by the end of April and, following a testing and running in period, will be available for traffic for the remainder of 2012.

In addition to regular operation we anticipate that 'Sir Keith' will be a popular performer at our 'Step Back to the 1940s' weekends and a major attraction at the 'Autumn Steam Gala'.

Please click on the link below to find out more.

Our thanks goes to Southern Locomotives Ltd for permitting this important locomotive to see service along the Severn Valley.
oliver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! And it's good to see that the SVR has chosen to hire in a big loco again - definately what is needed! Very Happy
Andy2857

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit of a gamble to me, going for a loco thats not yet operational.

Will be a popular loco choice though I'm sure, and it'll be nice to have two West Countries/BoB's in service together when Taw is completed.
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, another big engine for the Summer.

On a point of historical accuracy, Air Vice-Marshal Park was not a "Battle of Britain" "ace" in the usually understood way. He did not fly in combat. He was in charge of 11 Group RAF and for the tactics of the aircraft under his command during both Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain.
He was awarded the Military Cross for his combat flying over France towards the end of WW1.

34053 was rebuilt into its present form in November 1958.
oliver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems a bit of a gamble to me, going for a loco thats not yet operational.

Will be a popular loco choice though I'm sure, and it'll be nice to have two West Countries/BoB's in service together when Taw is completed.

I thought exactly the same thing and wonder what would happen if the tests reveal the loco needs further work doing - would it be done on SVR or be sent back? And I assume it will be fully painted when it arrives here and not like Taw Valley was when it made its first run after overhaul -think it was in grey wasn't it?!
Thinking positively though it should be a greataddition to the fleet and it also means that the ASG is no longer a small engine gala! Razz
Andy2857

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:

I thought exactly the same thing and wonder what would happen if the tests reveal the loco needs further work doing - would it be done on SVR or be sent back?

My initial thought is that we'd send it back but I suppose it depends what the hypothetical fault turns out to be. Remember we had to change all those springs on 92212 before we got to use it! It was here for about 3 weeks before it was used on service trains.

Quote:
Thinking positively though it should be a greataddition to the fleet and it also means that the ASG is no longer a small engine gala! :P

Always thinking positively Ollie! Hmm yeah, not a small engine gala but still a branchline gala, remember the Light Pacific's were built for use on secondary lines as well as the mains.
J-Green

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, it will be nice to have a Pacific as a regular on the Valley a bit, and good practice for the Loco crews with 34027 due back in the next couple of years.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
Very nice! And it's good to see that the SVR has chosen to hire in a big loco again - definately what is needed! Very Happy
but 'needed' in what way? I dare say a fair number of enthusiasts will come to see it, but overall, one of Southern Locos' Standard 4 tanks would be more economical and would pull anything on the SVR that we will use the BB for!
mick_wilson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
oliver wrote:
but 'needed' in what way? I dare say a fair number of enthusiasts will come to see it, but overall, one of Southern Locos' Standard 4 tanks would be more economical and would pull anything on the SVR that we will use the BB for!
Won't there be another Southern loco, of equal utility, available before too long?
oliver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That is true but I meant in the sense of it will be something different and it will add a bit of glamour (if you get what I mean) to the fleet which is something a standard 4 tank could not really do.
michaelh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 34053 Sir Keith Park Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
From Twitter --- SVR official ‏ @svrofficialsite

34053 Sir Keith Park will be joining the SVR Fleet in 2012!
The Southern Loco's Ltd engine will be arriving shortly...

https://twitter.com/svrofficialsite/status/176689192586326017/photo/1

To be hoped that it is completely overhauled before it arrives and that the SVR does not have to do all the finishing off jobs to make it a reliable runner
yates_m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is excellent news. The Southern Loco website suggests a long term relationship with the SVR. The Swanage Railway have agreed that they don't need and cannot support all the Southern Loco fleet. The light pacifics seem a good fit with our requirements. Given where we are with our resident locos it makes good sense to me to bring operational locos into the fleet.

Malcolm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 1 of 33

Jump to: