SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bridgnorth Station redevelopment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
oliver wrote:
And I think platform one can take 7 coaches not 8?

The Google maps satellite image of Bridgnorth station seems to show 8 fitting in the platform. Could be LMS coaches though (I think those are the ones which are meant to be shorter?).
Platform 1 will take exactly 8 BR Mk 1 coaches. Would be very useful for it to be able to take 9.
hassell_a

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
Danny252 wrote:
oliver wrote:
And I think platform one can take 7 coaches not 8?

The Google maps satellite image of Bridgnorth station seems to show 8 fitting in the platform. Could be LMS coaches though (I think those are the ones which are meant to be shorter?).
Platform 1 will take exactly 8 BR Mk 1 coaches. Would be very useful for it to be able to take 9.

It certainly would, as will the proposed extension to P2

http://www.4930hagleyhall.org.uk

All Comments and Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of SVR (Holdings) PLC, SVR Company Limited, or SVR Charitable Trust.
oliver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

After working at Bridgnorth for over 4 years now, I should probably have known the answer to that but I know that it is very rare for an 8 coach train to have all doors on the platform. I suppose this is because it is fairly hard to stop the train in the exact position each time and a longer platform would also give more margin for error I suppose.
hassell_a

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
Quote:

After working at Bridgnorth for over 4 years now, I should probably have known the answer to that but I know that it is very rare for an 8 coach train to have all doors on the platform. I suppose this is because it is fairly hard to stop the train in the exact position each time and a longer platform would also give more margin for error I suppose.

Well that 'very rare' event occured at least twice yesterday, when I stopped an 8 coach set in P1 with all doors on. It takes years of training to become a driver precisely so that we can stop trains in the correct position (amongst other things...). You'll forgive me if I don't share your low opinion of our drivers' abilities to stop trains in the right place!

http://www.4930hagleyhall.org.uk

All Comments and Opinions are my own and do not reflect those of SVR (Holdings) PLC, SVR Company Limited, or SVR Charitable Trust.
oliver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a low opinion of drivers abilities at all. I regularly travel on the train and sometimes on the footplate and are aware of the skill involved in driving a loco and the handling is usually very good. But often when I have the front window of a train with 8 coaches on, when we arrive at Bridgnorth I usually have to walk back to the next door to get off at the first door is off the platform.[/quote]
Buffer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
From the BBC report: ..."where volunteer staff repaired historic steam engines"....
Someone is bound to comment about that statement.

Yes, in the 'Volunteers' thread.
xpc smooth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hassell_a wrote:
oliver wrote:
Quote:

Well that 'very rare' event occured at least twice yesterday, when I stopped an 8 coach set in P1 with all doors on. It takes years of training to become a driver precisely so that we can stop trains in the correct position (amongst other things...). You'll forgive me if I don't share your low opinion of our drivers' abilities to stop trains in the right place!

I was going to say much the same, Ade. You cock it up frequently when you start and get better with practice, like most things, then, as you progress, when you actually get it spot on, you start to acquire "stopping marks." For me, that meant looking for something significant which I was alongside when the perfect stop happened, then aiming for it thereafter.

Bridgnorth is not a difficult place to stop at, unless you've got 9 or 10 on, in which case your mark moves north and you try to stop before the track circuit break, so you don't block the run round. This is decidedly more difficult at night...
Buffer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just found a copy of Bridgnorth box diagram from the mid-1990s with some official looking notes underneath, one of which says that Platform 1 can take a locomotive and 10 BR Mk1 coaches. Can that be right with each coach being 64ft 6in over gangways and an engine with tender about the same length? I believe the starting signals beyond each end of the platform are only 221yd apart.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 2012 update http://www.svrlive.com/Pages/BH150.aspx

Patrick
mick_wilson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the building and footbridge plans been made public yet?
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet: Leaflet about the share issue.

http://www.svrlive.com/Documents/SVR_ShareDoc-DL-Insert_lowres.pdf

Perhaps this is old news, in which case apologies,but saw a reference to it on Nat-Pres. and had not seen it before.
chris thomas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The redevelopment plans are not yet public, but soon will be.
We intend to have a display on Members & Shareholders Weekend on 13-14 October - watch out for further details.
Sorry to be a bit cagey here, but until all the legals are sorted regarding the share issue, I have to be very careful.
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris: The leaflet available via SvrLive is only to register for being sent a copy of the share offer document.
There is now a link on the main SVR website for this leaflet.

Last edited by Derby4 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's anything in that leaflet that has any legal worries. Certainly there are things in the final doc that have to be very carefully worded. Hopefully the doc is now finalised -- I've proof-checked enough versions of it !!.....
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
I don't think there's anything in that leaflet that has any legal worries. Certainly there are things in the final doc that have to be very carefully worded. Hopefully the doc is now finalised -- I've proof-checked enough versions of it !!.....
I agree with Pete here. The leaflet tells nothing of the legal bits and bobs.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a furore if the artists impression of the new construction are to be believed. I'd hate to see a repeat of the near miss incident with a "Wyevale Garden Centre".

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 2 of 61

Jump to: