SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas 2012
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Share

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Santa Steam Service Reply with quote

When on duty in Bridgnorth 'box last night, I was told that, if necessary, we could manage on 4 locos, each loco having to run round at Kidderminster. This is what they did yesterday.

Peter
Peter Share

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Santa Steam Service Reply with quote

When on duty in Bridgnorth 'box last night, I was told that, if necessary, we could manage on 4 locos, each loco having to run round at Kidderminster. This is what they did yesterday.

Peter
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Steam Service Reply with quote

Peter Share wrote:

Peter
It could even be done with only 3 locos with a relatively short loss of time at Kidder by running round immediately onto the other set; taking water with tank locos would of course add to this.
We even have a method of using only 2 locos, but that would involve another loss of 5 or 10 minutes at Arley!
The sooner we get rid of the 5 slack over Vic Bridge and the 10 at Bewdley South, the less that would matter.
J-Green

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we were all steam all weekend.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Santa Steam Service Reply with quote

[quote="cherry_p] The sooner we get rid of the 5 slack over Vic Bridge and the 10 at Bewdley South, the less that would matter.[/quote]

We appear to have the builders in at Victoria Bridge. Is this work to relieve the slack or just planned maintenance?
Derby4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I recall an earlier comment that the slack over Victoria Bridge was due to the need to replace the ballast retaining boards which have been found to be life expired.
Rob-S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Life expired"... Very Happy P-Way use a more Anglo Saxon description.

Replacement of said ballast retaining boards, is due to start in Jan, during shutdown.... Subject [my information has it] to English Heritage approving the work. As far as I'm aware, the scaffolding is unrelated to this, but I've forgotten what its for.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob-33/
pearson_p

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they replacing the wooden walkway in the inspection area under the track level?
Rob-S

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rings a bell, Paul.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob-33/
Buffer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, when we are faced with a shortage of steam power cannot a loco such as 4566 be used to haul more than its usual rated load for a few days? After all, it used to be allowed 8 coaches and in GWR days as many as 10 on the SVR route. Are owners' wishes or perhaps a frail constitution factors here?
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffer wrote:
Why, when we are faced with a shortage of steam power cannot a loco such as 4566 be used to haul more than its usual rated load for a few days? After all, it used to be allowed 8 coaches and in GWR days as many as 10 on the SVR route. Are owners' wishes or perhaps a frail constitution factors here?

I dare say if we really had to use it on 8 coaches we would, but I can assure you that it's not happy on 8. In any case, we're not so short of locos that we have to use it on 8. Using only 4 locos on the Christmas service is no problem at all, so the question hasn't arisen.
oliver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That did cross my mind also, especially since Arley to KR is generally flatter than Arley to BH is so perhaps this would lead to less strain on the loco? I remember watching 4566 push as set of 8 mk 1's back out of platform 2 at BH a couple of years ago and it really struggled and was wobbling all over the place so perhaps it is best to let the bigger loco's like 44871 take the strain!
Danny252

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus it really wouldn't be much help to try overworking 4566 for a week, only to have to have something break due to the strain, leaving us with one less loco and nothing available for steam heat!
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wth Danny252 re not overloading 4566. As well as providing pre heating of stock it can easily handle the 5 coach (set S(5)) lunchtime and evening diners leaving one of the larger locos free for preventative maintenance / snagging minor faults.
Big T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group of us coming up for the day Saturday to do some lineside photography. Anyone local know what weather due to be like?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: