SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carriage Ė Late Victorian, Edwardian or other?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lin_SVR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Carriage Ė Late Victorian, Edwardian or other? Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone can give me any information about a carriage I travelled in on the SVRís Steam Gala on Friday on the 11:10 train from Kidderminster. I must have noted its number down incorrectly because I cannot find anything about it. Itís a carriage I have seen and travelled in once before Ė some time last year. It looks to me like itís from the late Victorian or Edwardian era.

Its corridor was at the side and I think it had a First Class compartment. The compartment we were in (2nd/3rd class) was a large saloon type rather than the more usual style for 6 to 8 people. It had dark red and black upholstery on 4 bench seats; 2 facing each other along the length of the compartment accommodating 5 or 6 people each and 2 at either end of the compartment (each for 3 or 4 people) in the more usual position of perpendicular to the window.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest edition of SVR News carries an article from the GWR(SVR)A (http://www.gw-svr-a.org.uk/) describing three saloons, each with two open passenger saloons, one standard passenger compartment, two lavatories and a small guard's and luggage compartment, with a corridor running down the full length of one side. These are 9055 (1912, converted for wheelchair use), 9369 (started 1915, completed 1923) and 9103 (restoration nearly completed)

SVR News is available at Station bookshops, £3, and is posted free to members

I'm not an expert (as others will attest!) but from your description could it have been 9369?

I hope this helps

Patrick
Lin_SVR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
I appreciate the link to the gw-svr website as Iím fascinated by carriages.

It looks like it would have been either the 9369 or the 9055.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also like:

http://www.svr-rollingstocktrust.org.uk/our_vehicles.html

http://www.lnersvrcoachfund.org.uk/

http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/surveystatus.asp

Regards

Patrick
chris thomas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin_SVR wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
I appreciate the link to the gw-svr website as Iím fascinated by carriages.

It looks like it would have been either the 9369 or the 9055.

Patrick is right. These coaches are known as "nondescript" saloons (a strange name for what is now a very distinctive carriage) and were regularly used as party hire vehicles. They could be attached to most trains apart from "Limited Load" expresses and might be shunted between trains at junctions. No doubt you took you luggage, servants, etc with you - different times! These days, there are three elderly but beautiful GW coaches, soon to be four, operating in set GW2; indeed 9055 is 100 years old this year. It would be nice to be able to "make more" out of these vehicles, but as ever there are only so many people to do all the work involved.....

Thanks for you kind comments, Chris.
J-Green

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a brake amongst the toplight collection? As it would be lovely to run them independently of everything else as a local set at galas.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "nondescript" was also used by the southern for Maunsell coaches used in boat trains. In that case it simply meant no specified class. There were brackets on the side where a board denoting class could be affixed

The Southern had like most UK lines dropped second class using first and Third. SNCF still however used second so the nondescript could be labeled second class if there were passengers with through tickets using the alternative second board. Otherwise they would be labelled as first. I wonder if when a bit run down and a bit rough riding some lucky third class passengers got a relativly more comfortable ride
Peter Share

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Victorian/Edwardian Carriages Reply with quote

Looking at one of the youtube offerings for the gala, leaving Kdr the rake concerned as it's first 3 coaches had
9369, 3930, and 9055.
That should tell you which one you were in.
As a further aid, 9055 is the designated GWR wheelchair coach on the SVR (together with LMS 26880, LNER 24105, BR mk 1 4690 and converted BR BG 80776)

Peter
KJEvans

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Green wrote:
Is there a brake amongst the toplight collection? As it would be lovely to run them independently of everything else as a local set at galas.

9055 has had it's brake removed to make way for the wheelchair space, 9369 has its still.
Lin_SVR, if your right about red and black seating, then it was 9055 as 9369 has a dark earthy brown colour for seating throughout. The other saloon on 9055 has ex-BR upholstery, so you were lucky to be in the nicer looking side IMO.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
chris thomas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Churchward coaches Reply with quote

In fact the three have been run as a local train on gala weekends on a number of occasions, and will do so again. With any luck, they'll be joined by a fourth (9103) next year. Yes, they are rather special!

Anyone fancy an "Edwardian Day Out" using the vehicles?
J-Green

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clears that up, I just couldn't remember them ever running on their own without another coach.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
Peter Share

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Edwardian Coaches Reply with quote

Yes Chris, - an Edwardian train !! - As soon as the overhaul of 813 is complete. One of next years Galas ?

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: