SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Autumn Gala 2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil_Scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Autumn Gala 2013 Reply with quote

Has been announced that 70000 'Britannia' is the first guest.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilscottuk/
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also
Quote:
Autumn Steam Gala - Preview Day

New for 2013! We invite you to our Gala Preview Day which will take place on Thursday 19th September. Further information follows shortly.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Jeff Albiston

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Autumn Gala 2013 Reply with quote

Neil_Scott wrote:
Has been announced that 70000 'Britannia' is the first guest.

An engine I have fired twice at Llangollen. Will certainly look forward to seeing it at the Valley. Oliver Cromwell fitted in nicely when she visited back in 2009.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: 70000 Britannia Reply with quote

I certainly hope the weather is kinder than when she first ran on the Valley many, many years ago.
On the occasion of her naming, Miss Britanniia Building Society wore a flimsey white dress in very cold conditions - I certainly felt sorry for her (Miss B. B. S. that is !) that day.

Peter
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 70000 Britannia Reply with quote

Peter Share wrote:
I certainly hope the weather is kinder than when she first ran on the Valley many, many years ago.
On the occasion of her naming, Miss Britanniia Building Society wore a flimsey white dress in very cold conditions - I certainly felt sorry for her (Miss B. B. S. that is !) that day.

Peter
[Pedant mode]I believe the occasion you refer to was 70000's re-naming.[/Pedant mode]

I'm still not sure if the very very newly married Mrs Williams also enjoyed the occasion.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: 70000 Naming Reply with quote

Sorry Brian, you're perfectly correct, I'm too young to remember her original naming ( I was 2 !! ).
Re-naming it was.

Peter
cbphot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 70000 Britannia Reply with quote

boldford wrote:
Peter Share wrote:

Peter
[Pedant mode]I believe the occasion you refer to was 70000's re-naming.[/Pedant mode]

I'm still not sure if the very very newly married Mrs Williams also enjoyed the occasion.

Purely out of interest, what was her name before?
Derby4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70000 was named "Britannia" when built, it took the name from "Jubilee" 45700, which gave up the name in 1951 and was re-named "Amethyst".

Not sure if I agree with the Panda on this one. Re-naming to me implies giving the engine a different name... or not, depends how you look at it!

Anyway it doesn't really matter in the great order of things, does it?

Rob
michaelh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
70000 was named "Britannia" when built, it took the name from "Jubilee" 45700, which gave up the name in 1951 and was re-named "Amethyst".

Not sure if I agree with the Panda on this one. Re-naming to me implies giving the engine a different name... or not, depends how you look at it!

Anyway it doesn't really matter in the great order of things, does it?

Rob

The name 'Britannia' was chosen by R. A. Riddles and G. S. Hussey to commemorate the Britannia and Lion emblem of the London and North Western Railway. No. 70000 'Britannia' was named at Marylebone Station, London, on 20th January, 1951, by Alfred Barnes, Minister of Transport.
xpc smooth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: 70000 Britannia Reply with quote

Peter Share wrote:

Peter

Personally, I thought she looked terrific! Wink
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just opened my new copy of HR to read that Met 1 is coming to the Autumn Gala.

I see there is no mention of it yet on SVR site. Always the last to know!!!!

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
mrmover

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
Just opened my new copy of HR to read that Met 1 is coming to the Autumn Gala.

I see there is no mention of it yet on SVR site. Always the last to know!!!!

In fairness to SVR management, it seems that the report about Met1's visit came from a source other than the SVR. So this time it would seem that the SVR didn't tell the Press before advising Members and Shareholders. Of course there is often a good reason for keeping some of these things under wraps, and it might appear that this time others have scuppered the Railway's plans.
bradleyman

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SVR website shows the ASG as a 3 day event (fri - sun) only.
This year we have a "preview" day on the thursday (a good way to spread the attendance a little?).
Surely the 4 day duration of this event should be mentioned on the website even if just the ordinary t/t is proposed for the thursday using visiting locos.
Andy2857

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
The SVR website shows the ASG as a 3 day event (fri - sun) only.
This year we have a "preview" day on the thursday (a good way to spread the attendance a little?).
Surely the 4 day duration of this event should be mentioned on the website even if just the ordinary t/t is proposed for the thursday using visiting locos.

I think this is a bit of a "glass is half full/glass is half empty" point.

I expect many people would be disappointed to turn up to a gala event to find the normal service timetable in operation but with a couple of visitors running. I've encountered exactly this situation at the GCR before and it's left me cold. However if folks turn up expecting a normal service day and the services happened to be worked mainly by visiting locos I would expect most to consider it a nice bonus.

Personally i feel that, whilst the prep day should be well advertised, it is better off being presented as a separate entity rather than falling under the gala umbrella.
Robert

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest SR says that 850 'Lord Nelson' and Met No.1 are coming. It also says that a fourth visitor is being confirmed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: