SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is SVR Limited now just for diners?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Sharpo

Are we comparing like for like? AIUI the public timetable on the website does not show the dining trains, so timetable B shows 6 trains but on Sundays 7 run

Or am I more than usually confused?

Patrick

For intending passengers, the way I see it is that for Timetables B & C on a Sunday, there will be 1 less train available for them to travel on. If the Limited was crowded with ordinary passengers last year - where will those passengers now go? With Timetable C not showing a 12.00 departure from Kidder, passengers travelling north during the middle of the day will be on the 11.15 or 12.45 departures.

Will those 2 trains now be overcrowded? Will passengers not bother to get off the 11.15 because they have 90 minutes to wait for the next one? If passengers do wait for the later train at intermediate stations - will there be room for them when it does arrive?

I've been at Highley on a busy day when the train was so full that passengers had to wait for the next one. I've also travelled on the Limited many times when it has been full.

Perhaps I have got it all wrong. Anyway, we'll see what happens on March 31st - the first ordinary Sunday with a Timetable C.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, got it now! 'B' was 7 and now it's 7, but 1 not advertised Confused

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
BIGREDENGINE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Why is SVR Limited now just for diners? Reply with quote

It would be nice to run a 10 coach train once a week with dining and GWR stock that is usaully hidden in the shed with a shinny green engine on the front one day it may even be a castle!
Lench_S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something puzzling on the news page of the main website:
Locomotives in use week ending.... tab

SVR Website wrote:
AS3 | 2857 | notes: runs as passenger train as well as for diners.

Which then goes onto say:

AS3 Kidderminster 12.45 Bridgnorth 2.40 notes: diners only

Question
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLoader wrote:
Something puzzling on the news page of the main website:
Locomotives in use week ending.... tab

SVR Website wrote:
AS3 | 2857 | notes: runs as passenger train as well as for diners.

Which then goes onto say:

AS3 Kidderminster 12.45 Bridgnorth 2.40 notes: diners only

Question
The note at the bottom is what normally applies. For that day only, this was superseded by the note at the top that it would run as a passenger train.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
The note at the bottom is what normally applies. For that day only, this was superseded by the note at the top that it would run as a passenger train.

Ah yes of course, last weekend was different.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
Lin_SVR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As hearn_p says, the public timetable on the website does not list the dining trains. This is also the case with the timetables shown in the brochure. So, if non-dining passengers just stick to the published timetables there shouldn’t be any problems. Smile
michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin_SVR wrote:
As hearn_p says, the public timetable on the website does not list the dining trains. This is also the case with the timetables shown in the brochure. So, if non-dining passengers just stick to the published timetables there shouldn’t be any problems. Smile

Except for the overcrowding
sue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Venturer Sunday Lunch service Reply with quote

We were thinking of maybe trying the Sunday lunch on the Venturer this year.

We tried the Severn Valley Limited service once last year and not sure if we will go on it again. We normally travel on the SVR from Bridgnorth but we had to drive to Kidderminster to make sure we were in time to catch the diner. (We also had the open style dining carriage with plastic covered bench seating not the nicer more comfortable seats we are used to Smile )

We had to do this as we had been told that if the first train from Bridgnorth was delayed for any reason the diner wouldn't wait for us to get to Kidderminster so we couldn't rely on the Bridgnorth train getting us there in time.

I think I read somewhere that the Venturer dining coach is in fact attached to the first train of the day from Bridgnorth - if so that would be brilliant. I know the dining service itself wouldn't start until that train eventually left Kidderminster but at least we would be sure we wouldn't miss lunch and wouldn't have to drive there and back to Kidderminster

Is this right?
Danny252

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Venturer Sunday Lunch service Reply with quote

sue wrote:
I think I read somewhere that the Venturer dining coach is in fact attached to the first train of the day from Bridgnorth - if so that would be brilliant. I know the dining service itself wouldn't start until that train eventually left Kidderminster but at least we would be sure we wouldn't miss lunch and wouldn't have to drive there and back to Kidderminster

Is this right?

You seem to be implying that the Limited will not depart Kidderminster until the Venturer coaches arrive? If so, that isn't the case - the Limited and the Venturer are entirely separate, and the coaches for one are not used for the other.

(Of course, if dining on the Venturer, that definitely won't leave Kidderminster until the first train from Bridgnorth arrives - as that's the train which the Venturer service is carried on!)
oliver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is true, the venturer is always attached to the first departure from Bridgnorth so you could probably get on at Bridgnorth or if they weren't ready, just ride on the other part of the train and then get on at KR.

I have been on the Limited twice and both times have caught the train from BH without problem, however that was in the days when the Limited was also a passenger train (i.e for non dining passengers) as well so the fact that it is just dining passengers now may mean that if the Bridgnorth departure was delayed for any reason, they may be less inclined to hold the dining train back at KR...
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Venturer Sunday Lunch service Reply with quote

sue; like you, I think the fabric seats of the Venturer are much more comfortable than the vinyl ones of the Limited. Particularly on a very warm day.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
sue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

It was the Venturer I wanted information on as we had already tried the Limited and as I said it wasn't convenient.

Now I know that the Venturer dining carriage is on the first train service out of Bridgnorth timed to start lunch service from Kidderminster I will go ahead and book - - that will suit us much better

Yes and this time we can be sure of fabric seats as well!

Thanks again
mrmover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you have an enjoyable journey and meal!
sue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Sunday Lunch Reply with quote

Just back from a wonderful trip. We were booked on the Venturer for Sunday lunch and we had a really lovely meal.

As had been discussed above the Venturer dining carriage is attached to the first train of the day from Bridgnorth so this all worked perfectly and we didnt have to drive to Kidderminster first.

Also the first class seating in the Venturer coach was far better than being squashed on the hard vinyl bench seats we had on our trip on the Limited which we wont be doing again

It was a really lovely meal and fantastic journey along the valley through woods full of pheasants and primroses Smile

Many thanks to all the volunteers for a wonderful day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: