SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1940's Weekend 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review on Trip advisor from Peter D(unn), http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g528778-d1225238-Reviews-Severn_Valley_Railway-Bewdley_Worcestershire_England.html

Patrick
ManorFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a not-so-great one a few before:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g528778-d1225238-r166791177-Severn_Valley_Railway-Bewdley_Worcestershire_England.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Though have to admit I agree with many of the points raised.
michaelh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManorFan wrote:
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g528778-d1225238-r166791177-Severn_Valley_Railway-Bewdley_Worcestershire_England.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Same reviewer also posted a negative review of last year's 1940's and threatened/promised last year never to go again.

Sounds like a serial complainant - but unfortunately the review is there for all to see.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. It's a few after actually - it wasn't there when I posted!

Interesting the poster also reviewed the 1940s weekend last year and said it was "not that good".

I presume there is a round up meeting following these events, I wonder if social media feedback is, er, fed back?

Patrick
ManorFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
ManorFan wrote:

Same reviewer also posted a negative review of last year's 1940's and threatened/promised last year never to go again.

Sounds like a serial complainant - but unfortunately the review is there for all to see.

Fair game if you ask me - brings a bit of balance. You can't expect EVERYONE to gush about it and heap praise upon it. If that reviewer genuinely had a bad experience one year, but decided to give it a second chance and had another bad experience, their opinion is just as valid as the 'it was the best day ever' crowds. Having an opinion works both ways.

Frankly, as I said, I agree with much of what that reviewer said. I had a similar experience at one of these events a few years back - the display of snobbery and 'elitism' by those who take these events MUCH too seriously left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Furthermore, as per that person's review, the 'it has to be authentic' and 'you can't do this/go there because you're not in period dress' crowd make me chuckle - it's an interesting attitude from a group of people who will say such things, but conveniently ignore the fact that the locomotives hauling the trains, and the coaching stock, are often post-war designs or wearing non-authentic liveries for the time.

And it's also ironic that this is a group of people who often emphasise the importance of keeping Mr & Mrs Joe Public happy during their visit to a heritage railway don't mind upsetting them if they dare show up 'out of period dress', or don't follow some unwritten set of rules, even though NOTHING on the website etc suggests that dressing up is a pre-requisite.

Whilst I won't type a negative Tripadvisor review reflecting this, I do avoid the event. I sincerely doubt that my money is missed considering the attendance numbers, but nonetheless.....
george1941

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: 1940's weekends Reply with quote

I worked Arley platforms on both Sundays and Kidderminster and late Saturday evening. I too read the complaint on trip advisor. I thought myself the whole thing was great. It's true to say that there wasn't a great deal of memorabilia on sale, but then again it's not a market is it? The atmosphere on the platform was great and for me the youngsters made it, by heartily joining in the set piece sing-alongs at the end. The prices of refreshments as always were good value for money, The show, I thought starred in some sections and was adequate in others. My jury is still out Show versus big band. Very Happy At Arley Kevin Mack did a great job entertaining the customers and the girls in the catering (uncle tom's cabin) were hard pushed to keep up with demand. There was nothing but good humour all round. Ian Latimer, and Ian Duncan directed all of the staff well. I have no complaints at all. It may be suggested to the complainant that he becomes a volunteer and gives us the benefit of his expertise in expectations. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: