SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR Coaches on the SVR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
When I was last on GW2, the inside didn't seem too bad and it has always been my favourite set because of the fact I quite like the compartments.
I agree on the fact that on the outside they are a but tatty and not up to SVR standards.
And there is a whole list of other reaons why the set is not used that much:
*The door handles
*No disabled access
*No buffet
*Low capacity set

I wonder if any of these things will be addressed when the set is smartened up as part of the share plan? The handles and capacity might be tricky but i'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to fit a buffet and maybe some disabled access?

No, the insides are not that bad, but there are little things as mentioned above. Things that just would not be seen on the other sets for an extended period! I love the compartments as well but they just seem tired. 1146 seemed especially well kept inside. I rode in 7284 but then had a look down the train on arrival at Kidderminster, where I promptly got locked in by the TTI! Luckily I had a carriage key. They look to me clean and tidy but lacking essential maintenance. Of course the toplights are just fantastic inside and out apart from leaking roofs it would seem. The door handles are a potential problem with no easy answer. Disabled access is provided, when it is marshalled in the set, by 9055. Not ideal but MK1 buffet 1856 provides a buffet for the set. There are plans to convert the junior club carriage 5804 to a quick lunch bar 9632 in the future. The SVR had for a short time 9631 which can be seen at Swindon. Low capacity, again a potential problem.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIGREDENGINE wrote:
GWR door handles, no station staff weekdays?
Simple, put an extra volunteer on the train to assist, I would volunteer for that.

Really all it needs is a minute's extra attention from the guard and TTIs.
If we do use it more, perhaps it's better to use it as a short formation like the AS2 train is at the moment so people can get more use to it. Also this allows some of to be in the works while the rest is in service.

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
If we do use it more, perhaps it's better to use it as a short formation like the AS2 train is at the moment so people can get more use to it. Also this allows some of to be in the works while the rest is in service.

That's not a bad idea. 5/6 carriages for, say, AS2 would allow for 1 or 2 to be worked on at a time, funds and works programme permitting.

Of course GW2 does see use for the more advanced footplate experience courses. Other than that it is only when all other sets are in use and extra trains are needed, or to cover for another set.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
BIGREDENGINE wrote:
GWR door handles, no station staff weekdays?
Simple, put an extra volunteer on the train to assist, I would volunteer for that.

Really all it needs is a minute's extra attention from the guard and TTIs.

If we had plenty of volunteers this suggestion would be fine. The problem is we dont. I worked N 8 saturday with a single TTI and no buffet staff. There were enough station staff up and down the line to help get the train away, and thats with slam door stock. It may have been the Octonaughts but I did have to demonstrae to one lady how to open a door from the inside.

There is no simple answer with GW stock. With a long train and lower midweek staffing levels GW door handles would need more than a minutes extra attention.

At Bridgnorth as a passenger I witnessed, from some distance away, the following. Member of public slams door. Slams it again. Turns the handle and slams the door again, which must have done lock and catch no good at all. Member of staff stops the passenger slamming the door for the fourth time and closes the door properly.

I agree re short trains if GW stock is used but please note this week AS2 is 6 Mk1s
oliver

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Member of public slams door. Slams it again. Turns the handle and slams the door again, which must have done lock and catch no good at all. Member of staff stops the passenger slamming the door for the fourth time and closes the door properly.

Yeah I often see this happen and it is quite frustrating and like you say, it can't do the doors any good.

I wonder how passengers coped with these door handles in GWR days and whether there are accounts of any accidents due to them?
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
At Bridgnorth as a passenger I witnessed, from some distance away, the following. Member of public slams door. Slams it again. Turns the handle and slams the door again, which must have done lock and catch no good at all. Member of staff stops the passenger slamming the door for the fourth time and closes the door properly.

I've seen that on a few occasions as well and stopped them from doing the whole sequence on quite few more.

threelinkdave

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I wonder how passengers coped with these door handles in GWR days and whether there are accounts of any accidents due to them?[/quote]

In GW days it may have been less of an issue simply because of greater familiarity with train travel with similar turn to fasten locks being used domestically. You would probably need to search Kew records for GW accident statistics
KJEvans

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
oliver wrote:
I wonder how passengers coped with these door handles in GWR days and whether there are accounts of any accidents due to them?

In GW days it may have been less of an issue simply because of greater familiarity with train travel with similar turn to fasten locks being used domestically. You would probably need to search Kew records for GW accident statistics

To be honest I've seen people struggle with slam doors, and of course a lot of our passengers probably have barely used a train to begin with, so in some ways, we are educating them there.

threelinkdave

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used google and found a statistic from Hansard (Parliamentry reporting) for 1949 relating to death of a child and railway door accidents were quoted as 1 in 35 million passenger journeys. Found a NR statistic 2006 saw 1000 million rail journeys.Given that figs were comparable in 1949 would give 29 a year nationally
Lench_S

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
threelinkdave wrote:

I've seen that on a few occasions as well and stopped them from doing the whole sequence on quite few more.

Ditto!
bradleyman

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJEvans wrote:
threelinkdave wrote:
oliver wrote:

To be honest I've seen people struggle with slam doors, and of course a lot of our passengers probably have barely used a train to begin with, so in some ways, we are educating them there.

And as the use of slam doors on NR receeds further from peoples memory how long before passengers queue near the doors looking for the door opening button to flash enabling them to enter or exit!!

Most other heritage railways would give their right arm and a lot more for just a few of our pre nationalisation vehicles. Time for a proper plan to train apprentices in the skills required to maintain them and keep to a programme which keeps them in good order.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't seen it occur personally, apocryphal stories abound of some visitors pressing the door bump stops expecting the door to open automatically.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
KJEvans

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boldford wrote:
Although I haven't seen it occur personally, apocryphal stories abound of some visitors pressing the door bump stops expecting the door to open automatically.

I think I've seen it once or twice, I know others mention it a fair bit, in addition to some very interesting questions....(at KR) 'Which way does the train go?...'

Peter Share

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Slamdoor stock etc Reply with quote

To Kieran

I've had/heard the same question at Bridgnorth.
Loco at South end, "will the train go that way?" pointing to Shrewsbury
Answer of course - "Not very far" (Followed by polite explanation)

Peter
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apocriphal tale from Kings Cross in steam days. Passenger asks porter for seat back to engine. They pass an N2 or similar at the buffers which fetched the ECS. Porter finds seat back to train engine. Passenger moans at porter pointing ou they were facing the engine we have just passed!.

There is nowt new
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: