SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Severn Valley Railway Diesel Gala 2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Housey_D444

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With two visiting ‘guest celebrity’ locomotives now confirmed, and several more in the process of negotiation, there could be more than ten diesel locomotives in action at the Severn Valley Railway’s 2013 Diesel Enthusiasts Gala on October 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Class 55 ‘Deltic’ No. 55002 ‘The King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ along with Class 37 D6700 both from the National Railway Museum are both confirmed visitors to the three-day event, while discussions for several other visitors are underway.

55002 has seen an extensive rebuild and has recentky been returned to mainline standard. This is the first visit of this particular Deltic to the SVR & it is the final member of the surviving 6 locomotives of the original batch of 22 not to have operated on the SVR. The Deltics were once the most powerful diesel locomotives in the world and operated for their entire working lives over the East Coast Main Line hauling services between London and Edinburgh. 55002 entered service in 1961 & was withdrawn in 1982 and passed into the ownership of National Railway Museum at York. It comes to the gala with another NRM Diesel, Class 37 D6700 the first of the Class to be built. As neither of these 'NRM' locomotives have visited the SVR before, they are expected to be popular amongst visitors.

The SVR’s resident diesel fleet comprising of Class 50 ‘Hoovers’ – 50031 Hood, 50035 Ark Royal, 50044 Exeter and 50049 Defiance, Class 20 ‘Choppers’ D8059 and D8188, Ruston-engined Class 37 ‘Tractor’ 37906, Class 52 ‘Western’ D1062 Western Courier, Class 42 ‘Warship’ D821 Greyhound, and Class 108 units from the stable operated by the DMU Group (West Midlands) are all expected to be in use during the event.

The good news for diesel fans is that all three days will be 100 per cent steam-free, following ‘experimental’ suspension of steam workings at the 2011 & 2012 Diesel Galas which proved very popular amongst enthusiasts (it is only one weekend a year after all!).

Once again the SVR is offering significant savings to visitors who buy ‘’Freedom of the Line’ all-day ‘rover’ tickets online in advance with prices available at www.svr.co.uk.

Note all locomotives quoted are subject to availability.
Pinza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news and will complete the list of all preserved Deltics will have now visited the line.

Totally agree with steam suspension even though I love both, a significant number of the visitors for this event will actually avoid steam locos so it will help with trainload distribution and even with only two visitors will be one of the largest Diesel gala's of the year. Bring on October Smile

I know when the Clayton wasn't able to make it in 2012, there was talk of bringing it this year instead, is there any further update on that Neil?

Cheers

Duncan
ManorFan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on this? I gather that Scott, sadly, isn't organisng it any more, so what is the latest?
ManorFan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Comments on another forum indicate that this Gala was a great success with the diesel fraternity, and in particular they record their appreciation to the organiser and his team. The posters also record that they found the majority of SVR staff and volunteers friendly and helpful. One hopes we made a modest profit out of the three days patronage. It all helps to get revenue into the kitty!

And yet the organiser is no longer involved.... Smart move Rolling Eyes
Old Bean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No answer came the stern reply.
Standard Tank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManorFan wrote:
Quote:
Comments on another forum indicate that this Gala was a great success with the diesel fraternity, and in particular they record their appreciation to the organiser and his team. The posters also record that they found the majority of SVR staff and volunteers friendly and helpful. One hopes we made a modest profit out of the three days patronage. It all helps to get revenue into the kitty!

It's a sad but not unusual of the rail preservation society to bemoan someone who has over many years put a lot of time and effort into the cause but for whatever reason is no longer doing so. We should recognise and be thankful for that effort. I do not know Scott but there must be a good reason for a change in management arrangements.
Congratulations on all you have acheived over the years.
ManorFan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Tank wrote:
ManorFan wrote:
Quote:

It's a sad but not unusual of the rail preservation society to bemoan someone who has over many years put a lot of time and effort into the cause but for whatever reason is no longer doing so. We should recognise and be thankful for that effort. I do not know Scott but there must be a good reason for a change in management arrangements.
Congratulations on all you have acheived over the years.

Sadly there is most definitely NOT any good reason for the "change in management".

Comments on another forum suggest that this was by-product of people, as someone else put it, "engaging their mouths before their brains"

This turn of events is a real shame - it resulted in quite a bit of speculation on other forums, and quite a few people stating that they won't be buying tickets/attending if it returns to the 'old' format.
To quote what a forum member (on another forum) said: "I just hope this isn't a case of berts at the top with Old Man Syndrome, fear of change and fear of the resultant success...!

And I realise that nothing has actually been said with regards to what will actually be happening at this point; but that is probably part of why people are speculating.
And at this rate you risk losing customers to the Nene Valley Railway's diesel gala, which is over the same weekend and is making no secret of it's list of visiting locos.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Diesel Gala Reply with quote

I take note of Manorfan's comments, and this is not directed at him, but it would appear that yet again this forum is being used to repeat what is stated on other forums.
Too often those forums are used to knock the SVR against those things we do well, which we should be boasting about.
It may be that we sometimes shoot ourselves in the foot (but who doesn't), but to me, to repeat "knocking" comments is lowering ourselves to the level of the ones who make them. Better by far, if possible, is to learn from our mistakes and make sure that they do not happen again - which means open and honest interchange between all parties.
How can we be "The Premier Line" if we do not investigate and learn?

Peter
ManorFan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Gala Reply with quote

Peter Share wrote:
I take note of Manorfan's comments, and this is not directed at him, but it would appear that yet again this forum is being used to repeat what is stated on other forums.
Too often those forums are used to knock the SVR against those things we do well, which we should be boasting about.
It may be that we sometimes shoot ourselves in the foot (but who doesn't), but to me, to repeat "knocking" comments is lowering ourselves to the level of the ones who make them. Better by far, if possible, is to learn from our mistakes and make sure that they do not happen again - which means open and honest interchange between all parties.

Peter

I, personally, only quote from other forums as comments made on said other forums offer opinions that don't contain the bias that an 'internal' forum, where a 'we can do no wrong' attitude often exists.

I agree that some of said comments can be negative, although I will say that one only has to view comments made in various other forums, pertaining to the 2012 diesel gala, to see that most comments (particularly those made after the event) were very positive.

I also agree with your comments pertaining to learning from mistakes; a lesson that the person who engaged his mouth before his brain, resulting in Scott's departure, obviously has yet to learn....
michaelh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Gala Reply with quote

ManorFan wrote:
Peter Share wrote:

Peter

I, personally, only quote from other forums as comments made on said other forums offer opinions that don't contain the bias that an 'internal' forum, where a 'we can do no wrong' attitude often exists.

I agree that some of said comments can be negative, although I will say that one only has to view comments made in various other forums, pertaining to the 2012 diesel gala, to see that most comments (particularly those made after the event) were very positive.

I also agree with your comments pertaining to learning from mistakes; a lesson that the person who engaged his mouth before his brain, resulting in Scott's departure, obviously has yet to learn....

What are these other forums?

Are they diesel orientated or Special Event orientated?

I've not seen anything on National Preservation (though that one seems to be a mere shadow of it's former self)
Derby4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael: I dont visit the "other forum" much now, but have just read through the long thread on wnxx, where on 31st July Scott announced that he was no longer involved with the Diesel gala.
Subsequent comments (allegedy) indicate that there might have been some disagreement with Scott from some parts of the SVR management, or at least "people in positions" in respect of some aspects-- not defined--in the make up of the Gala, and Scott felt he could no longer continue. The wnxx forum members mention "old man syndrome" re the disagreement, but I really dont know what this comment refers to.

Many members of the wnxx forum support our diesel gala, and indeed have already booked local accommodation, purchased Rover tickets, and the like, but given the lack of updates they are now wondering if Scott's successful formula will be diluted, if not this year, but in the future, ie a timetable that has missed connections at BY, some steam operation etc. Whatever the outcome for the Diesel Gala, there is universal dismay at Scott's departure, particularly given the huge amount of work he has put in to deliver successful diesel gala's on the SVR.

I dont have an opinion, because the diesels are of no interest to me, I am just reporting what I read elsewhere.

Hope this clarifies.

Rob
ManorFan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Michael: I dont visit the "other forum" much now, but have just read through the long thread on wnxx, where on 31st July Scott announced that he was no longer involved with the Diesel gala.
Subsequent comments (allegedy) indicate that there might have been some disagreement with Scott from some parts of the SVR management, or at least "people in positions" in respect of some aspects-- not defined--in the make up of the Gala, and Scott felt he could no longer continue. The wnxx forum members mention "old man syndrome" re the disagreement, but I really dont know what this comment refers to.

Many members of the wnxx forum support our diesel gala, and indeed have already booked local accommodation, purchased Rover tickets, and the like, but given the lack of updates they are now wondering if Scott's successful formula will be diluted, if not this year, but in the future, ie a timetable that has missed connections at BY, some steam operation etc. Whatever the outcome for the Diesel Gala, there is universal dismay at Scott's departure, particularly given the huge amount of work he has put in to deliver successful diesel gala's on the SVR.

I dont have an opinion, because the diesels are of no interest to me, I am just reporting what I read elsewhere.

Hope this clarifies.

Rob

Exactly.

Much, if not ALL, of what has been said on WNXX is seemingly based on speculation rather than fact, and a healthy dose of what people hope WON'T happen - namely a retrograde step back to how it used to be organised.
Saying that, with no update or information forthcoming, assumption and speculation is only natural, especially since Scott's format for the gala was/is so popular.
Derby4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I agree with your comments, speculation rather than fact, and as has been pointed out on the other forum this year's diesel gala is as it says on the tin, three days, no steam.
Naturally the diesel enthusiasts there are concerned that the successful formula built by Scott might get diluted in the future, but that is perhaps as much as anything a "fear of the unknown", in that the new organising team are not yet--as far as I am aware--known publicly, so their "credentials" are presumed to be unproven. Rightly or wrongly so.
In fairness to the new team, whoever they may be, they need to be given a chance over time to prove themselves, rather than has happened on wnxx, the "worst" is presumed.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deltic Preservation Society reports:

Quote:
D9009 will haul a Diesel Gala convoy from SVR to NYMR & back with D821 and D1062. After returning the convoy from NYMR, D9009 will stay at SVR and should run on 4/5 Oct at Diesel Gala with 55002. More details when known

Patrick
KJEvans

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now on SVR special events page.
Visitors:
D9009 Alycidon
55002 The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (both deltics on Friday and Saturday)
D6700

GWR=Gresley Was Right...to learn from the Great Western
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> SVR Special Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: