SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fire reports
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5621
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HWFireControl‏@HWFireControl·May 12
Incident 12th May 16:44 #Kidderminster crews extinguished embankment fire on Severn Valley Railway near to #Trimpley using hose reels

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Peter Share



Joined: 30 Jul 2012
Posts: 312
Location: W'hampton

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: GWR Container Reply with quote

The container "torched" back in April - per Nick813 - was originally purchased by Ray Plackett, then passed to SVR Wolverhampton branch and was used as a store during the conversion of 80776 from BG to Special saloon. Once the conversion was finished it was tripped from Bridgnorth to Arley on the conflat, where it was used as a store for Santa decorations. The pairing was moved to Bewdley about 2 years ago.
By the way, the floor on the conflate has its weaknesses, as I found out by putting my size 9s through it when loading the container at Bridgnorth prior to transfer to Arley.
Our branch were unable to restore the container as we'd hoped, because it was never empty of goods at Arley for long enough.

Peter
_________________
Steam is steam, whether black, blue, red or green !!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5621
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HWFireControl‏@HWFireControl·2 hrs
15 May 16:24 - #Bewdley crews attended to a Severn Valley Railway Embankment Fire off Northwood Lane and used 1 hose reel



Quote:
Worcester News‏@worcesternews·3 hrs
Fire on railway: FIREFIGHTERS were called to tackle a fire that had broken out along the Severn Valley Railway... http://bit.ly/RV8ZTB



A FIRE broke out on the banks of the Severn Valley Railway this afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the embankment off Northwood Lane, Bewdley, near Worcester at 4.24pm in the second incident in the area on the same day.

A crew from Bewdley extinguished both blazes, the first of which was around 50 square meters in size and the second 40 square meters, with one hose reel.

The fires are not suspicious and are likely to have been started by hot embers from the steam trains.


Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
threelinkdave



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 645
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Quote:
HWFireControl‏@HWFireControl·2 hrs
15 May 16:24 - #Bewdley crews attended to a Severn Valley Railway Embankment Fire off Northwood Lane and used 1 hose reel



Quote:
Worcester News‏@worcesternews·3 hrs
Fire on railway: FIREFIGHTERS were called to tackle a fire that had broken out along the Severn Valley Railway... http://bit.ly/RV8ZTB



A FIRE broke out on the banks of the Severn Valley Railway this afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the embankment off Northwood Lane, Bewdley, near Worcester at 4.24pm in the second incident in the area on the same day.

A crew from Bewdley extinguished both blazes, the first of which was around 50 square meters in size and the second 40 square meters, with one hose reel.

The fires are not suspicious and are likely to have been started by hot embers from the steam trains.


Patrick
It just goes to show how fire can spread quickly. The first fire when I spotted it was about a foot square. bythe time the brigade had been summoned it was obviously quite an area. We are talking minutes here
_________________
Dave Scott
Bulleid and Gresley used auto couplers
Guard & dogsbody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stato



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Posts: 547
Location: Here there & everywhere

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the warm weather this is a UK wide problem. The paper reported there was a lineside fire on the GCR yesterday at Loughborough.
_________________
Cheers
Stato (staying anonymous for personal reasons)
Life member of this mad planet.
Professional coffin dodger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5621
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Grant Wills‏@HWFireGCWills·[10PM 14 June]
Responding to reports of a fire at the Severn Valley Railway in Kidderminster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
threelinkdave



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 645
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Quote:
Grant Wills‏@HWFireGCWills·[10PM 14 June]
Responding to reports of a fire at the Severn Valley Railway in Kidderminster
Panic ye not. F& R called as a precaution for what was probably an exhaust fire on the DMU. It had gone out by the time Kidderminster was reached
_________________
Dave Scott
Bulleid and Gresley used auto couplers
Guard & dogsbody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danny252



Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 1138

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you skipped the second message!

Quote:
In attendance at Kidderminster railway station, thankfully a false alarm from excessive smoke. Crews have checked with thermal camera


Sounds like an indoors issue rather than train-related - especially so given that there was no steam engine at Kidder station at 22:20 last night!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hearn_p



Joined: 15 Nov 2003
Posts: 5621
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I picked up the first with a Severn Valley search but the second didn't mention it.

Patrick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
threelinkdave



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 645
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
Although you skipped the second message!

Quote:
In attendance at Kidderminster railway station, thankfully a false alarm from excessive smoke. Crews have checked with thermal camera


Sounds like an indoors issue rather than train-related - especially so given that there was no steam engine at Kidder station at 22:20 last night!
Danny you really should read the modified WTTs and you may have spotted the DMU arival!
_________________
Dave Scott
Bulleid and Gresley used auto couplers
Guard & dogsbody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danny252



Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 1138

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threelinkdave wrote:
Danny you really should read the modified WTTs and you may have spotted the DMU arival!


Was this why the DMU failed last night, then? I certainly knew it was about, as I signalled it, but no news ever reached me about anything that went on down at Kidder, and the DMU setting itself alight isn't high on my list of common fire causes!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ianp



Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Location: Severn Valley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: DMU Saturday 14th June Reply with quote

The DMU 'fire' was nothing more than a bit of carbon getting too hot in one exhaust stack, no damage to DMU, although there was a problem with the vacuum at KDR, and the group would like to thank all those involved in returning the DU to Bewdley.

The set was checked over on Sunday and all appears OK now, a test run will be made on Monday afternoon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
threelinkdave



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 645
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ones train is leaving a trail of bright red sparks acompanied by an acrid smell one tends to be a bit cautious.

As to history when new these units often caught light due to a combination of fuel leaks and hot exhausts. These problems were cured but even 165s are susceptable. As a passenger I reported a fuel leak at Oxford due to a looser filter, not the favouriite person of my fellow comuters.

As stated above the failure was actually to do with the vacuum brakes.
_________________
Dave Scott
Bulleid and Gresley used auto couplers
Guard & dogsbody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michaelh



Joined: 08 Oct 2005
Posts: 909
Location: Droitwich Spa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: DMU Saturday 14th June Reply with quote

ianp wrote:
The DMU 'fire' was nothing more than a bit of carbon getting too hot in one exhaust stack, no damage to DMU, although there was a problem with the vacuum at KDR, and the group would like to thank all those involved in returning the DU to Bewdley.

The set was checked over on Sunday and all appears OK now, a test run will be made on Monday afternoon.



But didn't Sir Keith Park have to rescue the DMU and all it's passengers?
_________________
Michael Howard
Heritage Railways supporter since 1968
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21979240@N07/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
threelinkdave



Joined: 22 Dec 2010
Posts: 645
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: DMU Saturday 14th June Reply with quote

michaelh wrote:
ianp wrote:
The DMU 'fire' was nothing more than a bit of carbon getting too hot in one exhaust stack, no damage to DMU, although there was a problem with the vacuum at KDR, and the group would like to thank all those involved in returning the DU to Bewdley.

The set was checked over on Sunday and all appears OK now, a test run will be made on Monday afternoon.



But didn't Sir Keith Park have to rescue the DMU and all it's passengers?
The DMU made it to Kidderminster with the passengers with the rear car evacuated. The brake failure only occured after the unit had been checked by F&R and was to go ECS under its own power to Bewdley. I dont know where the misinformation came from but SKP only assisted with the ECS move.

Please note I am only answering these questions to avoid misinformation being repeated as the incident might be subject to furthur investigation.
_________________
Dave Scott
Bulleid and Gresley used auto couplers
Guard & dogsbody
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group