SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Photographic Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherry_p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Using flash Reply with quote

I was driving 4936 last night, and the number of occasions when a photographer's flash went off in my face was ridiculous; some of them bright enough to affect my night vision.
Can people please give a bit of thought to this when photographing trains at night, and preferably turn the flash off!
Neil_Scott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with your sentiments, I was at Hampton Loade last night when 4936 arrived and there were huge numbers of people using flash to record the train, arriving, standing and departing. It's not necessary if you have the right equipment but the people who are likely to be using flash aren't those who are serious photographers. Not much that can be done except ask the station staff to 'have a word'.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neilscottuk/
michaelh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Using flash Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
I was driving 4936 last night, and the number of occasions when a photographer's flash went off in my face was ridiculous; some of them bright enough to affect my night vision.
Can people please give a bit of thought to this when photographing trains at night, and preferably turn the flash off!

I doubt those flashes came from serious photographers - far more likely from amateur snappers using automatic cameras who don't know how to turn off the flash - even if they wanted to.
Danny252

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I heard from platform staff was the problem with red camera focus lights - at night, those can be very easily confused with the handsignals being passed down the platform.
J-Green

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some focus lights are green, which is even worse.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red and green lights cause different problems but the green being taken is worse for the guard who gets left behind! I was the 'station staff' at HL when the flashy camera man was there, it wasn't just the flash but the three pre-flashes before. In had a word but he carried on and myself and I should think the crew were nearly blinded by the time he had finished. Definitely an amateur from what I observed...
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
Joe2027

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil_Scott wrote:
I completely agree with your sentiments, I was at Hampton Loade last night when 4936 arrived and there were huge numbers of people using flash to record the train, arriving, standing and departing. It's not necessary if you have the right equipment but the people who are likely to be using flash aren't those who are serious photographers. Not much that can be done except ask the station staff to 'have a word'.

Yes, I prefer to have a wide aperture. I get more natural nighttime photos. Sometimes I do use a flashgun, on stabled locos.

I canít understand why the snappers think a teeny flip up flash will light up a train.
chris thomas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Camera lights and flashguns Reply with quote

There are safety issues here, including the relative intensity of photographic lights and handlamps, signal lamps, etc. I'll ask some questions, but have doubts as to whether we have any specific rights on the matter.
Standard Tank

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a problem exclusive to the SVR, see this section of the London Midland website.

http://www.londonmidland.com/about-us/at-our-stations/rail-enthusiasts/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Photographic Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: