SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Class 14 D9551
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porter_s wrote:
Is this in operational condition?

I think it said in the article that there was a problem with the transmission.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porter_s wrote:
Is this in operational condition?
I have had experience of these locos on KESR many years ago. Whilst Diesel - Hydraulic forward and reverse is selected by a gearbox which didnt allways go straight from one direction to the other.

When coupling buckeyes, BRMK1 qnd LNER stock having pressesd the coaches together to couple you need to try to pull them appart to test the coupling has locked. If a 14 shows a reluctance too reverse when the pull off test requested, you dont get much movement, tne coupling may appear to be successful but not had sufficient stress put on it to be certain. You dont however want to pull the stationary coach skidding along the track. KESR had at least 2 teddy bears and both displayed this issue.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D9551 Twitter:

All being well D9551 will tomorrow start the long journey from Banchory to Bridgnorth, where a home outside the Boilershop awaits as resident locomotive. Will be based SVR Engineering as North end 'Thunderbird' etc

Earlier threads gave type 2 diesels authorised to take 260 tons, or up to 280 tons at the driver's discretion. Class 14 and 20 are type 1 of course. What will be her haulage limit up Eardington bank, I wonder - thinking of a failed tender engine plus 8-10?

Patrick
KHARDS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a 1000 ton pipe train at the NVR which ran for a few weeks many years back. A single 14 would comfortably get the train up to line speed. They are geared to work heavy amounts and moderate speeds. I would happily bed a 14 will take the biggest steam loco and ten coaches up Eardington without a huge problem, as long as it is in good condition of course.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal then! Many thanks

Patrick
Buffer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHARDS wrote:
There was a 1000 ton pipe train at the NVR which ran for a few weeks many years back. A single 14 would comfortably get the train up to line speed. They are geared to work heavy amounts and moderate speeds. I would happily bed a 14 will take the biggest steam loco and ten coaches up Eardington without a huge problem, as long as it is in good condition of course.

From the performance figures for these locos it is certainly feasible to haul 1000 ton at 25mph on level track. Here it is just a question of power output but in taking a heavy train up Eardington bank the 49 ton adhesive weight of a Class 14 (the same as a standard pannier) is not even enough to keep a 350 ton train on the move.
xpc smooth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffer wrote:
KHARDS wrote:

From the performance figures for these locos it is certainly feasible to haul 1000 ton at 25mph on level track. Here it is just a question of power output but in taking a heavy train up Eardington bank the 49 ton adhesive weight of a Class 14 (the same as a standard pannier) is not even enough to keep a 350 ton train on the move.

I can't speak for the Class 14, but I've been the fireman on a Pannier and a Mickey Mouse when we have taken a 300 + ton, loose coupled, P. Way train out of Bridgnorth without any trouble.

Regards,

xpc smooth
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xpc smooth wrote:
Buffer wrote:
KHARDS wrote:

I can't speak for the Class 14, but I've been the fireman on a Pannier and a Mickey Mouse when we have taken a 300 + ton, loose coupled, P. Way train out of Bridgnorth without any trouble.

Regards,

xpc smooth

Doesn't a diesel have the advantage over a steamer by having a steadier/smoother transmission of power from wheel to rail?

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of social media pics of D9551 on her way 22/22/13.

Milton-of-Crathes-Station Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milton-of-Crathes-Station/164357406931806#!/photo.php?fbid=691565020877706&set=a.367393509961527.95058.164357406931806&type=1&theater

D9551 Twitter: pic.twitter.com/orZlpdpTcu

Patrick
Simon G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milton-of-Crathes-Station/164357406931806?id=164357406931806&sk=photos_stream

Buffer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xpc smooth wrote:
Buffer wrote:
KHARDS wrote:

Regards,

xpc smooth

I have no practical experience of any of the locos mentioned, my estimates being based on publicly available data. Having said that, it should be stated that data on these topics is most unreliable and that the figures are given for the worst case situation. The GWR's maximum load for a pannier on the Severn Valley line was less than 350 tons, based, no doubt, on experience.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
‏@D9551
D9551 is due to arrive @SVREngsteam @svrbridgnorth tomorrow, however arrival time is not know yet. Waiting a call in the morning!

Patrick
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived - according to pictures on Bridgnorth Station Facebook and D9551 Twitter!

Quote:
On the deck now, ready to begin life @svrofficialsite with some restoration work to start very soon! pic.twitter.com/SDUklI9Tnx

Patrick
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Bailey has posted on Twitter December 30th: A bank fuel pump removed to gain access to ice damaged pipe and engine oil heat exchanger now liberated for cleaning out as it is blocked (pictures on Twitter).

On the same day ELR diesel group tweeted D9551 is one of the envisaged visitors to their "14's @ 50" event in July.

Patrick
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitter:

Working party planned on 'Angus' again this weekend. Hoping to remove the heat exchanger & progress cooler group repairs

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Diesel All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: