SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR 0-4-2T 1450
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Green

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Joe, the loco would win every time!

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
threelinkdave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe2027 wrote:
Derby4 wrote:
Remember that 1953 film "Titfield Thunderbolt", that had a 14xx take to the streets and go cross-country, so maybe 1450 also doesn't even need rails to run on!

What more superlatives can we find? Wink Wink

As long as the SVR don't ask passengers to borrow tin baths and buckets from a local farmer to fill the 14xx from the River Severn! LOL.

Another thing from that film, I would have thought a steam roller having a head on crash with a small engine like a class 14xx, would derail the loco.
But we might have to detrain the passengers at Highley to get to the tank there, having already taken dodgy water at Bewdley
yates_m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a very small steam loco like an 0-4-0ST weighs in around 50 tons so wouldn't be much affected by an impact with any road based vehicle!

Malcolm
cherry_p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yates_m wrote:
Even a very small steam loco like an 0-4-0ST weighs in around 50 tons so wouldn't be much affected by an impact with any road based vehicle!
That would give an axle loading of 25 tons, which would be way too much for most industrial sites where 0-4-0ST locos worked. A weight of 25 tons or so is more like it.
A 14xx weighs 41 tons.

Last edited by cherry_p on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Peter Share

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: 0-4-0ST loco weight Reply with quote

In response to the question of loco weights, in the early years we did have an 0-4-0 ST, Peckett 1438 (Hams Hall no 4)
Recorded weights are 24 ton empty, 29 ton full. A good bit less than 50 tons.
Buffer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Remember that 1953 film "Titfield Thunderbolt", that had a 14xx take to the streets and go cross-country, so maybe 1450 also doesn't even need rails to run on!

That was a fabulous film! I believe the on-street running was in connection with the removal of the 14xx (1401?) from a museum for use on the railway. There is one of the class, 1442, in the museum at Tiverton so perhaps we might also try to 'rescue' that. Laughing
P Thornhill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffer wrote:
Derby4 wrote:

That was a fabulous film! I believe the on-street running was in connection with the removal of the 14xx (1401?) from a museum for use on the railway. There is one of the class, 1442, in the museum at Tiverton so perhaps we might also try to 'rescue' that. Laughing

Nope 1401 was the one that ran away down the hill, the 14xx that went on the road they were "borrowing" unaware that the rest of the people were obtaining Lion from the museum.
Housey_D444

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did a remake on the North Norfolk in June 2012
http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/graphics/events/misc/titthunder1.jpg

and thats the Aveling steamroller used in the original film. Just so happens that roller is in my family too!

Something for the photo charter boys to think about.......
Buffer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P Thornhill wrote:
Buffer wrote:
Derby4 wrote:

Nope 1401 was the one that ran away down the hill, the 14xx that went on the road they were "borrowing" unaware that the rest of the people were obtaining Lion from the museum.

Many thanks for putting the record straight. I had completely forgotten that 'Lion', together with Stanley Holloway, were the stars of the film. What would be the chances of an ancient engine like that running into Bristol, Temple Meads, nowadays?
Kingston Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffer wrote:
P Thornhill wrote:
Buffer wrote:
Derby4 wrote:

Many thanks for putting the record straight. I had completely forgotten that 'Lion', together with Stanley Holloway, were the stars of the film. What would be the chances of an ancient engine like that running into Bristol, Temple Meads, nowadays?

I believe I would be right in thinking that the station taking the place of Mallingford in the film was actually Westbury.

Oh, and just in case anyone is thinking about giving it a go, the street scenes were a cutout on the back of a lorry.
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingston Flyer wrote:

I believe I would be right in thinking that the station taking the place of Mallingford in the film was actually Westbury.

http://www.british-film-locations.com/Titfield-Thunderbolt-1953

The above link gives a few details on locations.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Buffer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingston Flyer wrote:
Buffer wrote:
P Thornhill wrote:
Buffer wrote:
Derby4 wrote:

Oh, and just in case anyone is thinking about giving it a go, the street scenes were a cutout on the back of a lorry.

Have checked the locations for the 'Titfield Thunderbolt' film and they are as follows.

Titfield village ..... Freshford (Manor was No. 7813)
Titfield station ..... Monkton Combe
Mallingford station ..... Bristol, Temple Meads
1401 in street scene ..... Woodstock
S&D scene ..... Midford Viaduct

With the exception of Woodstock, all are in the Bristol or Bath area. Other scenes, such as the 'liberation' of 'Lion', were shot in or near London.
Jurasik

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the loco was built at Wolverhampton works. Nice to see a locally made loco on the line!
Buffer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurasik wrote:
Also, the loco was built at Wolverhampton works. Nice to see a locally made loco on the line!

I don't think so. Although the 14xx class was based on an old Wolverhampton design, I understand that all of these Collett locos were built at Swindon. The last GWR engines built at Wolverhampton were the 44xx class, except for the prototype, and then the first twenty of the larger wheeled version, the 45xx. Unfortunately, none of this batch was preserved but I believe that the late Michael Hale attempted to do so.
Peter Share

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: 1450 Reply with quote

I agree with Buffer.
1450 was built at Swindon in the early/mid 1930's.
The last loco built at Wolverhampton was 4519 in the early 1920's ('24 ? ).

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: