SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GWR 0-4-2T 1450
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: GWR 0-4-2T 1450 Reply with quote

Now confirmed in latest Steam Railway that 1450 is to come to stay "for at least 12 months".
2 autocoaches [178 and 238 "Chaffinch"] also coming.

I believe the agreement re sponsorship of certain events by SR means that they will be the first to publicise some news items like this.

I knew that the owner enjoyed his stay this year, and that he wanted to bring it to us.

Nice little engine -- probably the only GWR engine that I really feel comfortable on as the instructor on Footplate Experience Courses. Cab big enough for 4 people, and unlike Manors etc, is fitted with cab doors.
Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1450 Reply with quote

cherry_p wrote:
Nice little engine -- probably the only GWR engine that I really feel comfortable on as the instructor on Footplate Experience Courses. Cab big enough for 4 people, and unlike Manors etc, is fitted with cab doors.

Funny you should say that...!

Lewis

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Footplate Experience...realise a lifelong ambition
hearn_p

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent News!

SVR Website:

Quote:
We are pleased to announce that former Great Western Railway auto-tank No. 1450 is returning to the Severn Valley in 2014.

This popular tank locomotive, that visited us in the spring of 2013, will be arriving on the railway shortly, together with two autocoaches. It will work various services in 2014.

Courtesy of Mike Little, the locomotive and coaches will be used on selected Timetable A services, Steam Gala weekends and Footplate Experiences throughout the year.

Keep an eye on our new 'Meet our Locomotives' page to find out when No. 1450 will be steaming along the Severn Valley in 2014 for you to see and ride behind!

Pleased to see the simultaneous release of news to supporters - a thank you to the SVR for that.

Patrick
tg7812

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news and I'll look forward to seeing it.

However, I presume it will only be of use for driver experiences (which I would expect to be popular), and the odd gala appearance?
tg7812

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg7812 wrote:

However, I presume it will only be of use for driver experiences (which I would expect to be popular), and the odd gala appearance?

As I was typing that I see another post says 'Timetable A' as well, which is good.
Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg7812 wrote:
tg7812 wrote:

As I was typing that I see another post says 'Timetable A' as well, which is good.

I am hoping to utilise it on several Footplate Experiences throughout 2014.

Thanks,
Lewis

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Footplate Experience...realise a lifelong ambition
GWR5764PT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I welcome it's arrival I am not sure it is the most practical engine for the SVR. I suppose the Auto Coaches would both be behind/in front of the locomotive when operating.
cherry_p

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:
Although I welcome it's arrival I am not sure it is the most practical engine for the SVR. I suppose the Auto Coaches would both be behind/in front of the locomotive when operating.
There's no reason for it always to run with the autocoaches; certainly on the Footplate Experiences, it could run as normal with the BR Mk1 9220; subject to water capacity, it could run with 3 coaches on turns when that is all that is required.
J-Green

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And didn't she pull 5 on the Dawlish donkeys?

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
bradleyman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR5764PT wrote:

On the contrary! - it is a most practical loco for a cost conscious railway. (we are one on these ar'nt we?).

For services where passenger loading does not exceed 140 seated, the two auto coaches & this loco offer the possibility in saving thousands off the coal bill alone. One of these will only need a few wheelbarrow loads of coal compared to the tons necessary to drag around the usual long sets.
It is to be hoped that we understand our traffic well enough to identify the opportunities to use it to good effect.
Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of Timetable "A" days in May June and September, and should be popular as something "different", which the Autotrain certainly is.
Just have to hope that the "unannounced coach party" dont turn up...!

Can 1450 work full-line with two autocoaches withut a water stop?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMU Group Facebook page, in response to the question "I gather 1450 will be used on selected Timetable A services. Will the DMU be missing for a bit?"

Quote:
The DMU will be used during the railway's steam heat period as it did this year, any other runs with the DMU after this time has not yet be finalised. Operating dates for 2014 will be updated on here shortly once they have been confirmed.

Patrick
Buffer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleyman wrote:
GWR5764PT wrote:

On the contrary! - it is a most practical loco for a cost conscious railway. (we are one on these ar'nt we?).

For services where passenger loading does not exceed 140 seated, the two auto coaches & this loco offer the possibility in saving thousands off the coal bill alone. One of these will only need a few wheelbarrow loads of coal compared to the tons necessary to drag around the usual long sets.
It is to be hoped that we understand our traffic well enough to identify the opportunities to use it to good effect.

Since 1450 only needs a few wheelbarrow loads of coal, presumably, at the same time it will only use a few buckets of water so that its limited tank capacity should be no problem. Smile
Derby4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that 1953 film "Titfield Thunderbolt", that had a 14xx take to the streets and go cross-country, so maybe 1450 also doesn't even need rails to run on!

What more superlatives can we find? Wink Wink
Joe2027

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Remember that 1953 film "Titfield Thunderbolt", that had a 14xx take to the streets and go cross-country, so maybe 1450 also doesn't even need rails to run on!

What more superlatives can we find? Wink Wink

As long as the SVR don't ask passengers to borrow tin baths and buckets from a local farmer to fill the 14xx from the River Severn! LOL.

Another thing from that film, I would have thought a steam roller having a head on crash with a small engine like a class 14xx, would derail the loco.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: