SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IOM Railways No. 11 Maitland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: IOM Railways No. 11 Maitland Reply with quote

Twitter has news and pictures of the boiler of IOM Railways No. 11 Maitland arriving at SVR Engineering Boilershop for attention new inner firebox

pic.twitter.com/v5AGP02q8c
pic.twitter.com/FoABZRiq80

Patrick
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: IOM Railways No. 11 Maitland Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Twitter has news and pictures of the boiler of IOM Railways No. 11 Maitland arriving at SVR Engineering Boilershop for attention new inner firebox

pic.twitter.com/v5AGP02q8c
pic.twitter.com/FoABZRiq80

Patrick
Is there an alternative link for those of us that don't twatter or ficebook?

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
J-Green

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to be a member of twitter to go to the above links and view the phots.

all opinions are very much my own.

http://www.youtube.com/user/edwardianeccentric
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried. Really I have. I still can't copy Facebook or Twitter links on here to get them to work

Often some kind soul uploads them and links to it so you can see it.

Patrick
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way I've found to use the pic.twitter.com/xxxxxxxxxx format is to copy it then "paste and go" it into the URL space at the top of your preferred browser page. (I use Firefox).
I'd be happy to learn an even easier way.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Simon G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me biased, mistaken, or whatever else you will, but to me there appear to be more images appear from twitter of "contract work" locomotives, than images of work on SVR locomotives progressing in the works...?

Rob
hearn_p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last pictures on SVR Engineering Twitter:

IoM No.11 Maitland (contract) 15/1/14
34053 SKP repair 3/1/14
5643 last day in steam 3/1/14
5164 last day in steam 3/1/14
W&L No 10 (contract) 20/12/13
Dunrobin (contract) 26/11/13
Barber (contract) 21/11/13
Kinlet Hall, 5643, SKP & Flying Pig 43106 on shed 23/10/13
7812 (tender) on shed 16/10/13
Kinlet, 5164, Hagley on shed 15/10/13
7812 & 1501 on shed at KWVR gala 10/10/13

No more recent images of work on SVR locomotives progressing in the works that I can see, other than SKP repair above

Patrick
Buffer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
Call me biased, mistaken, or whatever else you will, but to me there appear to be more images appear from twitter of "contract work" locomotives, than images of work on SVR locomotives progressing in the works...?

Rob

I suspect that most of us would prefer to have news of work on SVR locos but isn't the use of Twitter to show pictures of contract work just a form of advertising by Bridgnorth to win more contracts? After all, income from these contracts provides part of the funding for our own overhauls.
Derby4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know whether or not prospective contract work customers visit the twitter site. To my mind the problem there is that there is so much other discussion, often nothing to do with the SVR, for instance at the moment, discussion about the local football team, and at times you get regular weather updates etc.
I agree there are pictures of work in progress, but does the twitter site really "sell" what SVR Engineering's full range of services is? I dont think so.
The SVR Engineering "shop window" should be their website that lists all the services they offer.
Sadly the news section of that site has not been updated since July 2013.

ie http://svr-engineering.co.uk/news/news.html
mrmover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derby4 wrote:
I dont know whether or not prospective contract work customers visit the twitter site. To my mind the problem there is that there is so much other discussion, often nothing to do with the SVR, for instance at the moment, discussion about the local football team, and at times you get regular weather updates etc.
I agree there are pictures of work in progress, but does the twitter site really "sell" what SVR Engineering's full range of services is? I dont think so.
The SVR Engineering "shop window" should be their website that lists all the services they offer.
Sadly the news section of that site has not been updated since July 2013.

ie http://svr-engineering.co.uk/news/news.html

And the fact that it is not updated regularly hinders its presence on the search engine rankings.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Off topic*
I would think a great many prospective engineering customers look at the Twitter site, if indeed they don't already follow SVR Engineering. Social media like Twitter is all about retweeting and the like, meaning there will be conversations that include the weather and other things not strictly related to the SVR. I should think it means the SVR Engineering team can engage with possible customers and enthusiasts in a way not possible on a website. The regular photos of contract work are almost certainly intended to do exactly what Buffer describes - sell the services offered and showcase the high quality work. At least the website was updated in the past year! That's more than some websites can manage.
*Back on topic*

Good to see SVR Engineering have won this contract though.
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
Derby4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, guilty of taking this subject off-topic. I will desist!

I dont know how Twitter works, so I didn't realise that two parties (ie SVR Engineering and a prospective customer) could have a private conversation via this media about a possible contract. I thought it was a sort of open forum that anyone could see.
Maybe it is more convenient than picking up the phone.

I agree, good news that this contract has come to Bridgnorth. With the additional boilershop staff now in place, presumably contract work and SVR work can run alongside, without one delaying the other.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returned to IoM Jan 15th
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Motive Power - Steam All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: