SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BR Cowans Steam Crane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny252

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: BR Cowans Steam Crane Reply with quote

It seems there isn't a dedicated thread to the Cowans crane, so here goes!

Crane 1091/30 has been undergoing testing and repairs in Bridgnorth yard for a couple of weeks now, and has fairly regularly been steamed up and providing interesting displays. If you feel lucky, a visit to Bridgnorth may have interesting results!

There does seem to be some confusion over what crane it is, though. The railway had two Cowans cranes, 1087 and 1091, with the latter being reported as cut up a few years ago. However, the number I can see painted on the side very definitely is the supposedly deceased 1091! Was it a different crane that was cut up (are there still two Cowans on the line?) or has the number been swapped over?
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recorded it on web round-up as ADM1091/30 Cowans Sheldon 30 ton Steam Crane, but I'm not sure where from

The works plate for the other one was in the station workshop for a while, and is I think now in the Railwayman's Arms.

A search for crane brings up this thread: http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3075&highlight=crane

Patrick
Danny252

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did come across one of the SVR blogs showing 1091/30 as the number, but few other sites agree!

(Also, having posted this thread, the crane promptly migrated inside the shed)
oldsteamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the cranes was cut up outside the boiler shop in early August 2010. Sorry, I do not have details of which one it was. Perhaps the Engine House could help. On enquiring why it was being cut up the answer was that nobody wanted it. Some parts had been removed for spares for the remaining crane. I belive the makers plates are now at Engine House at Highley but I do not know if they are on display.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are. Scrub reference to Railwayman's Arms above.

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Rolling Stock All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: