SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of pseudonyms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Use of pseudonyms Reply with quote

The Board and Management have been concerned for some time about the use of pseudonyms by certain people, who often then post misleading or inaccurate criticism. We would ask users to use their own names. As encouragement, where people use their own names to ask questions openly, the SVR will try to reply. Those using pseudonyms are unlikely to get a response.

Can we also please remind users that personal back-biting or other remarks of a derogatory nature will not be tolerated, and will be removed.
d431hood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Thank you for updating us. To comply with the directive and potentially get responses from the SVR maangement, do we have to change our user name or is it enough for our real name to be included in our signature block? As I do...

Thank you in anticipation of your clarrification.
Fifty Fund Chairman, Sales Officer & Deputy Under Webmaster
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackson-p's post and my reply dated 7/7/14 cross-posted from the thread entitled "Abolishion of this forum" in the members section.
boldford wrote:
jackson_p wrote:

Further to the note on SVRlive, dated 4th July, mentioning the 'unofficial' forum and the proposed new management policy in replying to questions raised.

I recommend we await for the SVR elected moderator, Chris Thomas, to give us his direct views on the matter before taking any actions.

In the mean time, and in response a to the query raised by 'Standard Tank', I suggest we proceed as follows (until we hear otherwise):-

Anonymous users identified by pseudonym only should be able to continue to remain anonymous and use the forum but should not expect SVR management or staff to respond to or take action on any issue raised.

Options for the anonymous users
1. Continue to remain anonymous and use the 'unofficial' forum on this basis.
2. Continue with a pseudonym and now additionally include their true identity in the signature of each and every thread.
3. Create a brand new identity on the 'unofficial' forum using their true identity. The original pseudonym identity would then become frozen.

There is a careful balance required with any policy change to this very popular 'unofficial' forum. If it becomes too controlled by the powers that be there is high risk that users may all walk away and set up a stand alone unofficial forum totally outside SVR control.

Comments please!
I also share this view and think the SVR's proposed adoption of this policy is to be commended. The official recognition of this forum gives it the degree of "respectability" it deserves. With luck, it will also encourage those who disapprove of this forum to soften their views and keep those people that do not use Facebook and/or Twitter better informed directly.

This policy also tacitly acknowledges the influence of this forum and perhaps assures posters (whether by pseudonym or in easily identifiable form) that their comments are being read in high places.

The only minor area where Paul may be wrong is in relation to the possible establishment of yet another forum should posters feel this one begins to be overly controlled. In the event that users felt this way they would not need to set up yet another forum. They could simply post at the more widely read "other place".

Most interestingly, the SVR's adoption of such a policy would effectively negate the title of this thread.

It's nice to see this proposal seems to have been adopted.

Q. Would the initiator of this thread confirm that he will strive to ensure such engagement between the "powers that be" and the proles will continue to increase?

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Standard Tank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you change your username?
Peter Share

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Pseudonyms Reply with quote

As I understand it, you don't need a new sign on username - just sign off at the end with your true name, as many people already do.

Peter
jackson_p

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my original post;

Options for the anonymous users
1. ............
2. Continue with a pseudonym and now additionally include their true identity in the signature of each and every thread.
3. ...........
chris thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: use of pseudonyms Reply with quote

Just add your real name at the foot - that will be fine.

regards, Chris
WaltTFB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Spartacus, and so is my wife.

Kind Regards

Rob Palmer

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> Forum Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: