SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating an SVR Wiki site.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharpo wrote:
. . . . .Finally, what do you do if you lose interest in it after a few years? If there are many other contributors, they won't be too happy if you "pull the plug" and delete all the files!!. . . . . .
I had thought something on a similar vein, but I didn't want to "rain on his parade".

Far too many web sites have become abandon-ware.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
Danny252

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lench_S wrote:
boldford wrote:
I'm curious to know what you feel an SVR wiki would give you over and above an expanded and other linked entries at Wikipedia? No criticism; just curious.

I can't help but feel a project such as this would add little more of value to the internet apart from duplication of that already on Wikipedia? Feel free to shoot me down!

One example which comes to mind is the Barry Coach, which could likely have a sizeable article on SVWiki describing its history, uniqueness, and restoration efforts, but I doubt Wikipedia would be overly receptive of an article on a coach. On that front, it would avoid the duplication of effort that is currently caused by every individual restoration group purchasing web hosting space, creating a website, and the ongoing task of updating it! It also keeps things organised in one place where they are easily located - I can find at least two different web addresses for the Barry Coach Fund (of which one is not functional, listed on the SVRA website) and a Facebook group.
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boldford wrote:
sharpo wrote:
contributors

Well spotted! Yes, my original had a letter missing.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Finally, what do you do if you lose interest in it after a few years? If there are many other contibutors, they won't be too happy if you "pull the plug" and delete all the files!!

I'd thought about this myself.
I was, until recently, a member of a Midlands based mountain bike club.
Some of us wanted to amalgamate with the national club.
The person who maintained the web site didn't.
We amalgamated anyway.
The club web site disappeared overnight, along with all our previous competition results and any means of contacting the majority of members who had no idea there had been a split.

For this reason, I think it would be essential to have some sort of back up, whether it's the digital equivalent of two signatures like a joint bank account, or a duplicate site on another server.
I wouldn't trust anyone with sole control of a group's web site, as even with the best intentions, I might get run over by a bus and take the password and renewal reminder to the grave.

Edit to add;
I am aware that I am relatively new here.
It would be best to have some of the longer established members involved as Wikis are by their nature a group effort and I wouldn't expect people to contribute to something that looks my own personal project.
madderlake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would we want it to be official or unofficial?
Simon G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about getting the owning groups involved, and they all have ownership of the wiki, thus, not one person having total control?

They could all have their own page which gave an overview of their aims and a link to their website and fundraising activities (or the Wiki becomes their website, with the web address pointing to the Wiki.)

This may actually encourage other owning groups to update their page if they see others updated more regularly.

Just a thought
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it would be safe to assume that some of the people posting here have contributed to other wikis before. An obvious question would be - has anybody created a wiki? If so, they could offer advice on what to do, or not, as the case may be.

A bit of research shows there is a "MobileFrontend" extension, which should make it easier to use on a mobile. I haven't tried modifying that test version, but it doesn't look too difficult.

No doubt this topic will have many more replies over the coming days.

Lench_S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny252 wrote:
Lench_S wrote:
boldford wrote:
I'm curious to know what you feel an SVR wiki would give you over and above an expanded and other linked entries at Wikipedia? No criticism; just curious.

I can't help but feel a project such as this would add little more of value to the internet apart from duplication of that already on Wikipedia? Feel free to shoot me down!

One example which comes to mind is the Barry Coach, which could likely have a sizeable article on SVWiki describing its history, uniqueness, and restoration efforts, but I doubt Wikipedia would be overly receptive of an article on a coach. On that front, it would avoid the duplication of effort that is currently caused by every individual restoration group purchasing web hosting space, creating a website, and the ongoing task of updating it! It also keeps things organised in one place where they are easily located - I can find at least two different web addresses for the Barry Coach Fund (of which one is not functional, listed on the SVRA website) and a Facebook group.

My personal opinion on websites is that wordpress and wikis, etc. look tacky as they generally all look the same. When you have a restoration group trying to attract money you need to look as professional as possible. The Barry Coach Fund has been succeeded by the Barry Railway Carriage Trust since 2009 and has sadly suffered numerous botched and abandoned website attempts. I volunteered my efforts to create and run a website for the BRCT in January and it was prematurely launched in May. Regrettably pressures of time and having ones fingers in too many volunteering pies have meant less progress than intended but we are getting towards a fully functioning website, it having just been updated this evening. One of the things I have not yet done is emailed all SVR and other webmasters and asked them to change the web address listed on their respective links pages. Hence the problem you mention.

The correct address is www.thebarrycoach.co.uk and the Facebook page is run by another member of the trust to provide weekly or more frequent updates whilst the website mainly collates these updates on a monthly or so basis. Looking at examples such as the GW(SVR)A and 82045 - where sales and membership forms are involved - I can't help but think their publicity effect would be less effective if contained in a Wiki.

#justmyopinion
sharpo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All gone quiet for a day.

Anyway, thought I would try adding the extension for MobileFrontend. One of the files wouldn't upload, not sure why, but just tried it on my mobile & it seems to work.

Before I started messing around, I downloaded all the files for my test version of MediaWiki, and there are over 6,000 of them. The MobileFrontend is about another 500 files. Then of course the mysql database had to be backed up.

This is something that would have to be done on a regular basis if the wiki is ever started. I don't want to discourage the start of an SVR wiki, but it will take time & effort to maintain it.

If I can get a wiki set up & working, then I'm sure other people should be able to as well. It would be foolish of me to offer to set it up & maintain it, as I have a backlog of other tasks to do, but I don't mind offering a bit of help if anybody wants to give it a go.

sharpo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, not trying to put anybody off, but read this:-

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_vandalism

There is always "somebody", person or "robot", trying to mess things up.

sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 days and no further comments. A mediawiki not such a good idea after all?

At least I might've saved some people a lot of effort trying to set up & maintain one?

Oh, one final thing, there is a security update to the version I installed a few days ago. Not sure quite what is involved in upgrading, I might try it - just as a challenge.

If anybody is still interested - it would be interesting to hear, at least then I know I'm not wasting my time "playing around" with it.

Danny252

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue is that everyone is waiting for some kind of official feedback (or even acknowledgement!) to try and see which direction the project would go in - although equally, I haven't the faintest which bit of the SVR you might try to approach with such a project.
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still prepared to go ahead with this, but like you, I need to know there's some support for it.
Maybe the reason that I'm the one most in favour is that I have got so little to contribute, which means I've got the most to gain.
Without the input from those who have got the knowledge, it will never work.
Hopefully, once it started, it would snowball and the various owners' groups and departments would create their own pages so as not to be left out.

Regarding Lench_S's comments, I wouldn't see a Wiki as an alternative to any group's own web site, just as the SVR page on Wikipedia is not an alternative the the SVR official web site.
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a couple of quick responses there!!

As long as the planned content of any such site is on such things as historical & current facts etc. and avoids the sort of arguments & politics that occur in forums on a regular basis, then I wouldn't think you would need to wait for "official feedback".

If it does proceed, to save a lot of grief in the early stages, it might be a good idea to restrict who can contribute? If open to all, it might start in a disorganised way & look a bit of a "mess", not to mention spammers etc. filling it with "rubbish"!

Then a few days/weeks/months "down the line" (humour!!) invite people well known on the Railway to contribute, or set up a method for other people to apply to contibute - as with the SVRA forum, which is not open for "everybody" to join.

If the wiki, or whatever it is called, links to the many web sites involved with the Railway, then I'm sure people who run those sites would like to contribute a page or two about their projects. Everybody wins.

Danny252

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point was mainly considering that we could start work on one site, only to then be told that another one (official or otherwise) is to be set up elsewhere! Howeber, if it starts off as unofficial but then gets some official support, it's not difficult at all to copy pages (or even the entire wiki) across to some official site - I would think there's even a tool to do this.

Also, what better way to convince people than by making a start and showing how well it can work? Smile

Quote:
If it does proceed, to save a lot of grief in the early stages, it might be a good idea to restrict who can contribute? If open to all, it might start in a disorganised way & look a bit of a "mess", not to mention spammers etc. filling it with "rubbish"!

Yes, I'm certainly on board with anti-spam measures. Disorganised isn't too bad - someone else can then come along and tidy things up, keeping the contribution of others. You could keep it as simple as having people drop the admin an email, requesting an account be set up, with no strings attached. A spam bot isn't going to manage this, but it would still be fairly open for anyone who is interested to contribute. It's pretty trivial to block one of those accounts if the user starts causing trouble.

Quote:
As long as the planned content of any such site is on such things as historical & current facts etc. and avoids the sort of arguments & politics that occur in forums on a regular basis, then I wouldn't think you would need to wait for "official feedback".

From experience, even "facts" can be quite contentious! I'm not really too concerned about having the odd (civil) disagreement here and there. A fair bit of that would be solved by requiring decent referencing when information is added - at least there's then some proof that what's being said has some background in reality!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: