SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating an SVR Wiki site.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Creating an SVR Wiki site. Reply with quote

The subject of creating a dedicated SVR Wiki has come up on another thread.
For those not familiar with Wikis, other than the well known Wikipedia, just click on the "Random Article" link on the left at http://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Home_Page a few times to see how it works.

I've read a couple of on line guides on creating a Wiki site and I'm going to have to admit it's beyond me at the moment.
Is there anyone who is more familiar with this sort of thing who could take it on?
Is there likely to be any official support for it, or perhaps more importantly, any objection?
How much would the web hosting cost and is there anything else to consider first?
Danny252

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen elsewhere, setting up the actual software seems to be a relatively easy task (for the tech savvy, anyway!), assuming you've got a web server to put it on - the SVR clearly has a few already for its various websites, but official recognition would be needed to use those!

The main thing to consider is probably who contributes and what sort of material is considered appropriate. The FR's site appears to be open to all to edit, but another example is the Swindon Panel Society's wiki, on which only an approved group of people may edit it. How something like that would work for the SVR is interesting - many of those who would contribute aren't working members, and may not be "known" (although that equally applies to a large number of those who do work on the railway, if the number of names on this forum that mean nothing to me is anything to go by!).

Other features can be restricted further - for example, you might restrict editing some pages to administrators only, to ensure that the most important pages are kept tidy and well organised.

On the Swindon Panel wiki, it was found that templates for various pages have helped keep things very neat - many pages cover similar items and a uniform layout also keeps things easy to read. Examples on the SVR might be pages for engines and rolling stock.
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always game for a laugh, I thought I would try and install a test version, seems it was at the same time as the previous poster was typing:-

That was easy!

EDIT - as little progress was made with the test version, and the next test version that folllowed, I didn't keep a close watch on it & it got spammed BIG TIME. So thoset projects within my web space were deleted.

All photo updates listed here, eventually:-
http://www.sharpos-world.co.uk/blog/

Probably better to check youtube videos:-
https://www.youtube.com/user/SharposWorld

Last edited by sharpo on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting it up was easy, understanding it all is not so easy!!

The more I look at it, the more I realise I need to read some sort of manual to understand the setup options.

EDIT, just worked out how to add an image to that test wiki

sharpo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it for this evening. Worked out how to add pages, create a "table" and add an image to a page.

I'm sure it will start a few people thinking about how "they" would do things and what to include. If there is a decision to try something like this, it will need some sort of plan and a way to keep it accurate, free from conflict and..... well, you know what the internet is like?

EDIT as mentioned in a previous post, my wikis were abandoned & deleted

Last edited by sharpo on Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a bit too. Just playing around and seeing how it all works really.
madderlake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:

Me too. An SVR wiki is something I have been (occasionally) talking about for ages. You, Sharpo and I now have 'talk' pages, so things internal to the wiki can be discussed there.
boldford

Location: Glad to be no longer stuck on that linear parking lot known better as the M6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madderlake wrote:
Graham wrote:

Me too. An SVR wiki is something I have been (occasionally) talking about for ages. You, Sharpo and I now have 'talk' pages, so things internal to the wiki can be discussed there.
I'm curious to know what you feel an SVR wiki would give you over and above an expanded and other linked entries at Wikipedia? No criticism; just curious.

1: Those who back up their hard drives.
2: Those who have never had a hard drive crash.
madderlake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boldford wrote:
I'm curious to know what you feel an SVR wiki would give you over and above an expanded and other linked entries at Wikipedia? No criticism; just curious.

In short, being able to make ones own rules.
sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleased some of you have given it a try.

It will be new to a lot of people, especially me, as I've only looked at wiki pages when they have come up in a search.

By all means have a play & try things. Try not to get carried away & spend a week creating hundreds of pages, as if there is a decision to go ahead with some sort of project then it will need to be hosted somewhere & maintained.

At the moment it has a simple url within my web space. I have the spare capacity at the moment, so that is not a problem, and I am sure the whole thing can be backed up & installed with any other host.

No doubt the next few days will produce more thoughts, doubts, suggestions or whatever.

sharpo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried creating a new test account, to make sure email notification works - and it does.

Sam aka Corn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for going off topic but found some good news on sharpos wiki list of locos

http://sharpos-world.co.uk/wikitest/index.php?title=List_of_locomotives_on_the_SVR

It seems 48773 and 7819 are due into works in the "near" future. Great news Smile

I think a specific SVR wiki (SVwiki ? ) is a good idea but in its absence an expansions of the SVR related articles on wikipedia itself is a worthwhile substitute.

Sam

Volunteer with LNER carriage fund working on 70759 at Bewdley
Graham

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious to know what you feel an SVR wiki would give you over and above an expanded and other linked entries at Wikipedia?

As I see it;

It keeps all the SVR stuff in one place, making it easier to read up on the SVR without getting sidetracked on to other stuff.
This also means the "Random Page" function can be used.

By being an SVR project, hopefully it will encourage more people to contribute.

If we go for the Moderators Only editing option (not my preferred choice), it stops malicious edits.
If we go for the Anyone Can Edit option (which I think is more the spirit of Wikis), a check of the "Recent Changes" link will show who has done what recently and the majority of responsible users can undo malicious edits.

It allows far more detailed and varied entries.
For example, we could have a list of every gradient post or signal on the line, something which wouldn't really be appropriate on a global interest Wikipedia.

Sharpo, I guessed this was only a temporary try out, which is why I just added a couple pages to see what could be done.
I don't know how big it is likely to get, or how much web hosting costs.
A quick search shows 1GB or 100GB for 2.50 a month, so I think I could do with some advice on which to go for.
Considering the use I get out of my 100 a year annual pass, I wouldn't mind paying 30 a year to see this happen if that's what it would cost, assuming this is going to remain an unofficial project.

As for a name, it doesn't have to be a portmanteau. Something as unwieldy as "The Severn Valley Railway Wiki" would at least make it clear what it's about.
Lench_S

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boldford wrote:

I can't help but feel a project such as this would add little more of value to the internet apart from duplication of that already on Wikipedia? Feel free to shoot me down!
Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Severn Valley Railway group of companies, Hampton Loade Station Fund or Barry Railway Carriage Trust.
sharpo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:
Sharpo, I guessed this was only a temporary try out, which is why I just added a couple pages to see what could be done.
I don't know how big it is likely to get, or how much web hosting costs.

Before you start looking for a host, remember there can be a lot of "behind the scenes" tasks you will need to undertake if you do start a wiki.

The host I use can install it virtually at the click of a button, and it is all set up within a minute. After that there will be the regular tasks, such as making regular backups of all the files & the "mysql" database. If new MediaWiki software is released then you will have to update the files in your webspace.

Then of course there is the task of monitoring the data input by other users, and of course spammers!

Finally, what do you do if you lose interest in it after a few years? If there are many other contibutors, they won't be too happy if you "pull the plug" and delete all the files!!

Still want to continue with the project??? If so, I will try and answer any further questions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: