SVR-Online Forum Forum Index SVR-Online Forum
The forum is run on a voluntary basis for members, volunteers and SVR enthusiasts.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating an SVR Wiki site.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danny252

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now put the wiki under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license , the same as used on Wikipedia - the license does not apply if a different license is specified (e.g. uploaded images).

If you have any complaints, speak now, or forever hold your peace!
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one almost word for word.

http://www.svr.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?a=755

http://www.svrwiki.com/GWR_Pannier_7714

I don't know if it's just coincidence, but I've only found these since the new post of Marketing and Events Assistant was created.
It looks like the railway could now be paying someone to copy & paste articles that wiki contributors wrote for free.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post on FB, Twitter and SVRLive (but not the website) on behalf of the SVR, as a volunteer. I have from time-to-time used the wiki as a source for posts or replies. I think, from memory, for the SVRLive Eardington page I sourced from the wiki. In some social media replies I give the wiki link.

On 17140 in particular the wiki contributor has requested I publicise it as much as possible.

Now the subject has come up, can someone please confirm whether I can use wiki text as a source?

Thanks

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Graham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Creative Commons Licence explains the legal situation with regard to copying wiki content.
Morally, I've got no objection to anything I've written being used as a source of information. In most cases, I haven't obtained the information first hand, I've sourced it from somewhere else myself.
As I understand it, information can't be copyrighted anyway. If you've read that GWR 7714 was built in 1930, then you're free to repeat that information.
The issue comes with an author passing someone else's work off as their own by simply copy & pasting large portions of text without crediting the original source.

On a personal level, the SVR recently recruited a Marketing and Events Assistant with responsibility for creating web content. I applied, but didn't even get an interview.
It now looks like, not only am I proof reading for someone who really ought to know that "re-development" doesn't need a hyphen and "the midlands" should have a capital M, but it's only a matter of time before I see something that I wrote copy & pasted on to the official web site by someone who is getting paid to do so when I was turned down from the opportunity to write original content.

To summarise, copy anything you want, but please give a credit to the source, (generally the web site, not necessarily the specific author.) and a link as well if possible.
Danny252

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite as Graham says, I doubt anyone has any problems with the Wiki being used either as a source for other research, or for snippets to be used elsewhere. However, copying large sections of pages verbatim without attribution, for the purposes of commercial advertising, doesn't come across as terribly polite!

The CC License allows the content to be used freely, for any purpose, and it may be further modified. Any use of the content must attribute the original source, and modified/derived content must be released under the same license.
Graham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intended to write a review of the wiki's progress at at one year and again at 1000000 page views, but never got around to it.
I've been watching the counter over the last couple of days and it looks like we will go over our 2 millionth page view within the next hour or so*, so now is as good a time as any.
It's worth pointing out that those are page views, not site visits, so someone visiting the site once and looking at 20 pages will be counted as 20 page views.

On 20th November 2015, Danny wrote;
"At the time of writing, the Wiki has 615 articles, 566 uploaded files, and 6,033 edits have been made." There had been 431,920 page views.
Almost exactly a year later, the figures are 688 articles, 967 uploaded files, and 9827 edits.
So, in the second year, only about 70 new pages were created, the number of photos nearly doubled and only about half as many edits were made. However, the number of page views has jumped from around half a million to one and a half million per year.

Looking a the list of pages there's a few surprises.
Top two are the lists of carriages and wagons. Anyone looking at several of either will probably revisit the list page to look up the next one, so they get artificially bumped up each time.
After the Main Page, Bewdley and Bridgnorth are at the top, way ahead of any other station.
For some reason, the 1980-1989‏‎ timeline is far more more popular than any other period.

The List of preservation groups and Former Residents are two that I would have thought would be of limited interest, but have made it in to the top 10.
The List of film and TV productions filmed on the Severn Valley Railway and Awards list are another two that were only started out of casual interest because the lists had never been compiled before, yet are now in the top 20.

LMS Ivatt Class 4 43106‏‎ is the most popular loco at 37.
Surprisingly, a non operational locomotive, LMR 600 Gordon, is the 4th most popular at 45.
Another surprise is that the most popular goods wagon is the collective entry for the Rudd Ballast Wagons at 73.

At the other end of the table, the bottom ten includes not just three obscure Film or TV appearances, but three of the poor old unloved Wickhams.

Future ambitions.
I made a start on creating an Info Box for each loco, carriage etc. That's ground to a halt, so I ought to plod on with that and work my way through the list.
There's still a couple of carriages with no photo. I need to make a point of finding and photographing them.
I'd like to get interior photos of every carriage as well.
I'd like to encourage more people to contribute. Previous attempts have largely failed, so I'll just repeat the request for anyone who spots a mistake or has any additional information to please post it here and one of us will make the necessary edits.

*It was actually at 2,000,132 by the time I'd finished typing.
Danny252

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another surprise is that the most popular goods wagon is the collective entry for the Rudd Ballast Wagons at 73.

I seem to recall the Rudds ended up being linked from at least one discussion on another forum - who knew that Rudds were so popular!

Quote:
Top two are the lists of carriages and wagons. Anyone looking at several of either will probably revisit the list page to look up the next one, so they get artificially bumped up each time. After the Main Page, Bewdley and Bridgnorth are at the top, way ahead of any other station.

Those pages also happen to rank very highly in number of edits and number of links to them.

Looking at some of the internal stats, SVRLive now pops up quite frequently as a source of incoming visitors - thanks Patrick!
hearn_p

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of service. It's proving to be symbiotic Smile

Seriously, a big thank you to all those doing so much on the wiki.

Patrick

See http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3628 for feedback options to the SVR
Robin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a link to SVRLive on the Wiki home page to help the symbiosis! Smile
hearn_p

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham wrote:

I don't know if it's just coincidence, but I've only found these since the new post of Marketing and Events Assistant was created.

Coincidence it seems, a new Assistant has not yet started I believe

Robin wrote:

Thank you

Patrick

cherry_p

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hearn_p wrote:
Graham wrote:

Coincidence it seems, a new Assistant has not yet started I believe

Robin wrote:
Thank you Patrick

Patrick -- correct; there were 60 applicants for the Marketing Assistant job; it would have been impossible to interview everyone, and criteria such as certain educational qualifications were used in the first instance to select those who went forward to the next stage; final interviews were to be last week, but I don't know the result of these.
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An NBI today was signed by Stan Jones, Marketing and Events assistant.

I have amended an SVR Facebook post today (not from Stan) to include reference to material taken from the SVR Wiki

Patrick

Danny252

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick. I think you decided to change the wording of your sentence halfway through writing it: "...from the SVR Wiki, an unofficial website is a project...".
hearn_p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out. Corrected

Thanks

Patrick

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subject of individual members having their own page has come up via another thread.
It's something I've avoided until now, as it seemed like a lot of work collecting photos and information, when some people might not want to be featured.
Festipedia lists 200 people, from the earliest days up until the present. Should we do something similar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SVR-Online Forum Forum Index -> General Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: